• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chicken husbandry ?? EGGS, FERTZ, MEAT - ANY TIPS?????

Silver_Surfer said:
Well, different breeds of hens have varying comb sizes. Have you compared yours to mature hens of the same breed?

Only from photos, the mature ones look more red in colour and are a little bigger.

I don't check this post too often as I'm stuck living in town and I miss my chickens. Yours look great. Fancy penthouse too, I think you did right thing by ordering it, sometimes you save money and time by not doing it yourself. A mention was made of extra light in the coop, I can't say about led but the light is a very good thing, then then they will keep laying right along. The hens lay smaller eggs called pullet eggs when they first start but then the eggs go to regular size soon. Good luck with your ladies, plenty of breakfast supplies coming up soon.

Goldarn it, but one of my Pecan Banties died last night!

I half suspect it was the unseasonal cold and rain we've been pelted with, so today will be spent figuring a better system.

The flock is now living in harmony with no excessive disciplining from the Alpha male (who also happens to be the smallest chook in the run!)

huntsman said:
Goldarn it, but one of my Pecan Banties died last night!

I half suspect it was the unseasonal cold and rain we've been pelted with, so today will be spent figuring a better system.

The flock is now living in harmony with no excessive disciplining from the Alpha male (who also happens to be the smallest chook in the run!)

That's a real bummer HM.

Thanks, mate - my fault, though!

Been short of finances lately, so just could not quite get to improving the set up.

Hit the local timber yards yesterday, however, and I am now going to build them a coop, rather than tack some shelves to a wall and pretend I already have! LOL!

Pics to follow tomorrow, but the improvements will increase overall size by 30%, I think.

Heh heh!

SS, it's actually quite warm compared to the US, (50F), but we've had unseasonal rains which have dropped temps from 71F in a week.

Added to that is the fact that my run is very draughty, so the result was the loss. Of course, it could be co-incidence, but I'm battening down the hatches as we speak, just in case.

In fact, I think I'll start a new thread for pics of runs, coops, and flocks...

We're currently getting 3 eggs every 2 days from our 4 hens. Not too bad for winter I reckon, mind you we are having nice days.

Good your getting eggs.

Mine have always laid through the winter as long as they get 14 hours of light per day. Just have to make sure and collect the eggs b4 they freeze. :)

What a GREAT thread folks! I had been following Huntsman's thread and he made reference to being encouraged by others here, so I decided to search for "chickens" and found this thread.

If you're thinking about raising chickens, this is a good read. Great info - thanks for sharing.

Now I think I'M encouraged to raise a chook or two. :lol:

LOL - I will be fencing back section off ...

Do chooks eat chilli ??

YES THEY DO
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO GIVES HIS CHOOKS THE LEFT OVER SCRAPES FROM HIS HOT PEPPERS AND IT MAKES THE EGG YOLKS BRIGHTER YELLOW AND RICHER , ALSO BIRDS DONT HAVE PAIN RECEPTOR TO DETECT CAPSICUM, AND THEY REALLY SEEM LOVE HOT PEPPERS, ALSO BE SURE TO KEEP A STEADY SUPPLY OF CRUSHED OYSTER SHELL FOR THE CALCIUM SO THEY CAN PRODUCE LOTS OF EGGS, IF YOU DONT SUPPLEMENT THERE DIET WITH CALCIUM IT WILL COME FROM THERE BONES AND THIS IS NOT GOOD ALSO YOU CAN GET COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE HIGH PROTEIN FEED FOR THEM TO MAKE THEM GROW NICE FOR MEAT, FOR THE MOST PART A CHICKEN WILL EAT MOST ANYTHING YOU GIVE THEM SO MIX IT UP
HOPE THIS HELPS THANKS JOE

Back