• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chile Del Arbol??

So I pick up a bag of these things dried and take them home to try them. Take one out and bite about half of it and chew it up and it has a pretty nice flavor so I finish it. I pick up another and take a bite and start getting a little heat. Finish that one and all of a sudden this little thing is bringing the pain. Look it up online and discover its around 60,000 SHU.Wow wasnt expecting that. What exactly are these things? Look like dried Cayennes to me. Anyone know?

DE ARBOL (TREE CHILE)

Species: Annuum Origin: Mexico Heat: Medium
Add to my growing list

Chile de arbol is a mild to quite hot pepper popular in western Mexico, where they are sometimes called pico de pajaro (bird beak) or cola de rata (rat tail). Plants are extremely vigorous, growing upto 120cm is a single season hence the translation of 'De Arbol' which means 'small tree' or 'Tree like'. They should be planted at least three feet apart. The slender pendant shaped fruits grow to around 10cm in length and mature from light green to dark red. Often dried and used by the Mexicans to make decorative wreaths or 'Ristras'. Red, slender pepper, up to 3" long. Originally from the Oaxaco and Jalisco states in Mexico.;)

Chile de arbol is another chile that is ubiquitous in Mexican Markets. They are sold as fresh or dried, but usually dried.

I don't know who told you they weren't picante, they are.

willard3 said:
Chile de arbol is another chile that is ubiquitous in Mexican Markets. They are sold as fresh or dried, but usually dried.

I don't know who told you they weren't picante, they are.

I found that out but it was all good. Nice surprise actually.

Yeah, they make nice powder from dried. I also like a sauce made from them called Salsa Encino.

I reviewed it here.

Tasty stuff. :)

From what I understand they are a type of Cayenne as well. Never had them fresh off a plant, but they are quite popular in Mexico and in Mexican quisines as Willard pointed out.

de arbol are fairly easy to locate at my local supermarket (as i recently found out). I'm glad they are hot. I assumed they were pretty mild. This changes things. :)

fineexampl said:
de arbol are fairly easy to locate at my local supermarket (as i recently found out). I'm glad they are hot. I assumed they were pretty mild. This changes things. :)

Same here I was pleasatly surprised.

And THP that sauce looks and sounds delicious.

Back