• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chiles are about Heat and Taste...but let's just talk HEAT.

Some obvious Choices would be (in ascending order)

Ghost Pepper
Habanero Pepper
Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeno
Chicago Sports Pepper
Serrano
Thai Sun
Cayenne
Paprika
Other....

So how was it? What was your experience? Any tips for us to 'put out the Heat' afterwards??

For me just Bhut Jolokia. Looking to get my hands on Douglah, a few other seven pods, and some of the scorpion. Since I've heard good things.

Some peppers i have high hopes for next year are the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia and the Jonah 7 Pod, as well as the two peppers that Pepper Lover has already mentioned.

The yellow 7 pods are also on my radar for heat and really good flavor.

As far as putting out the fire in the stomach, I've found that a spoonful of liquid honey was very effective against too much of a dose of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

Within a few minutes of downing that spoonful of honey, the stomach pains disappeared.

dvg

I would say the douglah is the tops in my book.Although I haven't tried the Butch T,infinity, or the brain strain yet either.Hopefully I'll be growing them next year though. :dance:

For me it probably goes
Douglah, Brain Strain, Scorp, Bhut Jolokia, Yellow 7
But once you get to a certain level of heat it is hard to tell the difference.

For me .. its Bhut jolokia(aka ghost chilli) trinidad scorpion .. yellow 7 pod and choc hab oh and the Douglah

The one that...ummm... bad on my throat, but nearly panicked when at 3:15am I woke to the worst stomach pains that lasted over 2 hours, couldn't 'pass' it in any way :eek: and ended up in the foetal position on the floor, bathed in sweat, genuinely believing I'd done permanent damage!!

Oh yeah, it was a TS!

Fresh Brown 7, (BrainStrain & Jonah & Ed's Savannah), Fresh Douglah, Butch T, Yellow 7

In your garden any of these could be the hottest. They are all very close and very dependent on growing conditions.

For me, the Douglah I received from Silver Surfer has been my hottest/most painful pepper experience as of yet.

If it's just mouth and throat pain I let it ride but if my stomach gets upset I'll searching high and low for some yogurt or ice cream.

Trinidad Scorpion hands down...

If I didn't want the burn, I wouldn't eat the pepper...I love the endorphin rushes I get...

Being a contrarian; I'd like to interject that heat is a rather cheap shot in and of itself. Extracts can take you to galactic proportions of pain; to the point endorphens become irrelevant. Endorphens in and of themselves are available through a wide range of Capsicum varieties. I'm growing Dorset Nagas, Bhut Jolokias, Chocolate, Orange, Red, Yellow and Tepins; to name a few.
I submit that heat without flavor is rather pointless. It becomes a pissing contest.
So, while I'm not discounting the value of heat, I'm saying balance is what's most important. If one can get a really big flavor, then one can probably also tack on considerable heat; but in balance, and that is my point. Cheers.

If your intended use is for culinary purposes then flavor should probably be important, although that really wasn't the question here. I use a lot of my hottest peppers for insect and deer repellent and I'm sure those making pepper sprays, arthritis creams, cancer treatments etc. also aren't worried much about flavor, just heat. The hotter the pepper the less work is involved in capsaisin extraction

7pod brown(definatley) butch t scorp then douglah. not sure where my savannah 7 sits. need more testing. as far as brainstrain. i'll firgure that out in a couple of hours.

The one that...ummm... bad on my throat, but nearly panicked when at 3:15am I woke to the worst stomach pains that lasted over 2 hours, couldn't 'pass' it in any way :eek: and ended up in the foetal position on the floor, bathed in sweat, genuinely believing I'd done permanent damage!!

Oh yeah, it was a TS!

Haha, same thing happened to me when I ate the Bhut Jolokia, only it lasted for two nights. My wife said I was crying in my sleep! Anyway, I tried Pepto and it didn't work. Then someone suggested Immodium AD, and that worked.

Back