Chili Grower From Icy Sweden

Welcome and hello from Germany! Enjoy your stay!

smilie_flag_106.gif

AKButch said:
Anchorage is at the 61st. parallel and depending on where you are at in Sweden, it looks like your somewhere between the 58th and 62nd, parallel so I would guess out climates are pretty similar. Downright cccccccold still this time of year!

I live in Gävle, 150 km north of Stockholm.
atm we have our coldest period this season. Its pretty upside down with the climate nowdays. The first real snow came last week. When i was a kid we had 1 meter of snow from december to april. The last years we havent had a white christmas and only ~2 weeks with real snow :( This water/snow/ice -mixture really sux!

rainbowberry said:
Welcome uUu from England and enjoy THP. How's your Apache growing BTW?

Thank you!

My Apaches are doing just fine. I have 5 of them this year. As usually they are growing short and starts to flower way to fast :rolleyes:

Last year i put an Apache in a bucket of water with an airpump and had it under lights all season. It grew short as all the others but wide! ~35 cm short and 100 cm wide:

apache27-9.jpg

It produced fruits that was 3 times bigger as its soil-sisters:

skordadeapacher.jpg

I love Apache drenched in seasalt and oliveoil @ Pizza :D

Out of all the peppers I've ever grown I've found Apache the quickest and easiest. I'm not over keen on the chemical taste you can get from them. Here in England most of the garden centres sell them. It's the ideal chilli for growing on a window sill.

Try to grow then in hydrophonics then. Pure taste all the way! :D

When i grow in soil i only use bonemeal, bloodmeal and chickenshit?, as nutrients.

I'm normally a natural kind of girl, soil, water and English sunshine. I didn't realise growing in Hydro would actually alter the taste.

I dont know if its a rule that hydro gives different taste but it did at my apache. The taste can best be described as "clean". Or perhaps it was just a placebo effect because i knew it was fed with water and not blood and bones like her sisters :D

thank you hot pepper!

i listened to your band btw. it was actually really good! i found it a bit strange that the songs had so few listeners @ myspace.

grunge is still alive! :D

Hello uUu

My grandmother was from Borlange, I spent a lot of time in Sweden and Norway, I learned how to make a potato chip coated peanut over there. You're probaly familiar with this product, a company called Maruud makes the same thing in Sweden. I want to experiment with a hot version, I think your list of peppers in the works will be educational, I'm yet to be pepper saavy . Nice to meet you, Dick T

DickT said:
My grandmother was from Borlange, I spent a lot of time in Sweden and Norway, I learned how to make a potato chip coated peanut over there. You're probaly familiar with this product, a company called Maruud makes the same thing in Sweden. I want to experiment with a hot version, I think your list of peppers in the works will be educational, I'm yet to be pepper saavy . Nice to meet you, Dick T

ah, borlänge is only 120 km away from gävle where i live!

i didnt recognize "maruud" but after a quick search @ google i found out that it was the norwegian name of swedish snack maker: "estrella".

i dont know anything about potato-covered peanuts, but the norwegians are a bit strange :) even though the distance is short and the language is very similar; the norwegians and norway is very different from sweden and the swedes. (must be because the norwegians are the richest people @ earth atm :))

i do know that they have chocolate-covered salted corn -snacks that are among the best snacks ive ever had!

so, do you miss sweden and our beautiful summers? :)

very much so, I've spent 6 summers in Stockhlom, what a beautiful city, not to mention the women. I would love to open a steamed shrimp cafe in the old city, gamla stan, its kind of like the inner harbor in Baltimore with the exception of everyone having blonde hair. I know they have the coated peanuts in Sweden, I'll do some research and get back to you, Scandinavia Rocks!! Dick T

DickT said:
very much so, I've spent 6 summers in Stockhlom, what a beautiful city, not to mention the women. I would love to open a steamed shrimp cafe in the old city, gamla stan, its kind of like the inner harbor in Baltimore with the exception of everyone having blonde hair. I know they have the coated peanuts in Sweden, I'll do some research and get back to you, Scandinavia Rocks!! Dick T

Ah, the women :)

Today was our first day of spring. Girls walked the streets with skirts. I guess its hard to imagine what it feels like to see, if you live in a warm country. But girls have been walking around in clothes like this the last 6 months:

didriksons-vinter-overall-yeti-street-maze-hos-wildbabiesse.jpg

And about the peanuts. We have coated peanuts. The are called dry roasted peanuts, they taste a little like burnt bbq! And of course we have chilinuts that also are coated. But i guess those exists everywhere.

torrostade.jpg

Back