• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chili Monsta Grow List 2011

WHEW!!!
The excessive heat we've had the past week or so has forced me into daily micro managing of the watering for my 80+ containers.
About half of them are in Global Buckets,(of a couple different designs) and for the most part, are doing significantly better than those in traditional "top watered" containers.
I rigged up an irrigation system for 16 of the Hot Stuff plants which are in GB's, and they are doing very well over all....with only one or two plants still struggling with the heat.
Currently, the GB plants are soaking up roughly 5 quarts of water daily, regardless if they have plastic covering or not, with a Pepper Joe Giant Jalokia plant leading the way so far in pod production.
Here's the link to a photo slide show of where they're at as of noon today.
http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x453/chilimonsta/Peppers%202011/pepper%20photos%207%2022%2011/?albumview=slideshow

One of many peppers that I'm tasting for the first time this season is the Cappezoli di Scimmia A.K.A. Monkey Nipples.
DSCF1233-1.jpg

I purchased live plant from The Chile Woman, which has done very well considering the heat we've had, and it's loaded with pods.
DSCF1205.jpg

I picked the first 6 ripe pods last evening, and immediately upon my first taste, realized that this little sucker is going to be one of my favorites.
The raw one has sort of a casual sweet habanero flavor and the heat is like that kicked up bird pepper. The seeds are not bitter at all and have a sweet nutty flavor.
DSCF1208.jpg

And the ones I dehydrated over night were nice and crunchy this morning....and I introduced a couple to a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy.
Can't wait to decide how I'm gonna finish off the remainder for dinner this evening.
edit:fix PhotoBucket pics

Yesterday brought the long awaited first Bhut Jalokia harvest of the season.
While the seeds were extremely slow to germinate, and the plants initially equally slow to become established...
DSCF1244.jpg

...I ended up with three healthy plants(each at different stages)just loaded with pods.
DSCF1249.jpg

Since this my first attempt at growing these, I'm unsure if this hand full of heat is the average.
DSCF1261-1.jpg

But, I'm very satisfied with the result...
DSCF1260-1-1.jpg

Now...I just need to work on a taste test.

Is that the Pepper Joe Giant Jolokia? If so then it's a little on the small side, you may get some bigger ones depending on how the rest of your season goes. I just picked a micro harvest of my early season runty peppers and it included a few bhuts, one of which is about 3 1/2 inches. The bhuts are from my own saved seed but originated from pepper joe's giant bhut jolokias.

After surviving a late snow in May...then a couple weeks of rain and cold temps...followed by weeks of little or no rain and triple digit heat...
I had hoped mother nature might cut some slack come harvest.
DSCF1111-1.jpg

I guess not...
951460-chile_volcano_super.jpg

Here's what I woke up to a few days ago.
DSCF1118.jpg

DSCF1120.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

And to top it all off....these broken and battered plants are part of Hot Stuff's study, which I've babied since they were only hooks.

The Chocolate Hab plant was somewhat protected, and made it through with no damage.
DSCF1209.jpg

Since I've not grown these before, I really don't know what sort of yield to expect.
DSCF1210.jpg

The plant appears healthy and is doing well, but has not produced the volume I had hoped to see.\
IMG_1057.jpg

But it has nice sized pods...which have made some pretty toasty BBQ sauce for smoked pork butt.
I'll be growing several more of these next year for sure.

The two Lantern plants have done very well in both the conventional and global bucket.
IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

But the GB plant is slightly larger and seems to be producing a few more pods.
IMG_1038.jpg

I am very fond of this pepper for several reasons.
It has produced a good yield,and has been very tolerant of the weather extremes I've experiences this season(excessive rain followed by high temps and drought)
I enjoy the flavor and the heat level is almost perfect for using the fresh pod in salads and chopped as a garnish.
They dry easily as a whole pod, and makes a nice golden powder to use straight up or in a seasoned salt blend.
This variety will be returning next season in greater numbers.

Back