• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chili Monsta Grow List 2011

Well the weather finally became more agreeable here in central Ky, and I was finally able to transplant my seedlings and develop an actual grow list. I am very excited about the 2011 season!
After joining THP and realizing how much I really didn't know...that I didn't know,I did some research and then jumped in with both feet this year.
I have increased my total number of plants from around 20 last year to 80+ for 2011,and the varieties from 10 or so to 46. About half of the 80 plants are in buckets built in a global bucket/SIP style of design.
Most of the plants are now in their final containers, and already growing larger daily...right along with the smile on my face.
I owe a hearty dose of gratitude to several folks here at THP.
Within days of me becoming a THP member,Buddy and Zander Spice repeatedly sent me packages of seeds and/or fresh pods (both refusing any payment) that became the foundation for this season.
Once again my seeds purchased from Pepper Joe's proved to germinate easily and are rapidly becoming strong healthy plants.
And to Hot Stuff...I really appreciate you taking a chance on a rookie,and allowing me to participate in your research study.
To those sharing their experience,wisdom and good will, you are the reason THP is such a great place in itself.
I thank you all... most sincerely!

Buddy & Zander Spice (seeds /pods)
Tabago Seasonings
Aji Limon
Peruvian Pointer
Manzano
Peruvian Pointer
Thai
Pepper Joe Seeds
Giant Jalapeno
Anaheim
Chicago Sport
Giant Ghost Bhut Jalokia
Chiltepins (Pepper Joe 2nd Generation)
Fluorescent Purple (Pepper Joe 2nd Generation)
Spicy Chicken (pods/seeds)
Chiltepin (Spicy Chicken 2nd Generation)
Super Chili
The Chile Woman live plants
Lantern
Mignon
Ata Ijosi
Chaco
Datil
Cappezoli di Scimmia (monkey nipples)
Malaqueta
Malay Mini
Mongolian
Thai Mound
Blueberry
Local sources
Chocolate Habanero
New Mex. 6-4
New Mex. Big Jim
Bolivian Rainbow
Valentine
Garden Salsa
Mucho Nacho
Espanada
Primavera
Vaquero
Poblano
Yum Yum
HOT STUFF Research Project
GRIF 9198 Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum - Peru-5383 - Costa Rica
PI-640881 Capsicum baccatum - PBC 81 - Peru
PI-594136 Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum - 20013 - Hungary
PI-199506 Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum -ISCA - Guyanna
PI-653680 Capsicum frutescens - Peru-5487 - Costa Rica
PI-639658 Capsicum frutescens - Peru-5448 - Costa Rica
PI-179865 Capsicum annuum - 10527 - India
PI-592810 Capsicum annuum - SANDIA A - New Mexico, United States
PI-167330 Capsicum annuum - 524 - Turkey

(edited to include additional varieties)

Nice list!
i hope to expand next season and try out 10 or 15 different variety

My SIP is doing very well i hope yours have the same luck

Happy growing
:cheers:

Wow Both feet and your ass, you jumped in head first! :lol: very nice ace! I want to see pics for sure :cool:

A lot of Verieties I have not even heard of. Interesting! not surprising though ( like 4 to 6 thousand now).

Really wish you the best of luck and if all goes well for you ( I'm sure ) you will have a lot of pod pics for us at the end of the season. looking forward!

Keep it hot my friend, Jeff

Your next season's grow list will definitely be larger…that's just the way it goes. Think of this season as really getting your feet wet. You'll be racing home from work to check on the fellas like little babies. It snowballs into an obsession.
Welcome to our world…the "THP"!!

Good luck!!

Very nice list CM.

I see some great sauces & mashes in your future! :lol:

Your next season's grow list will definitely be larger…that's just the way it goes. Think of this season as really getting your feet wet. You'll be racing home from work to check on the fellas like little babies. It snowballs into an obsession.

I see myself in this words so much...

Best of luck Chili Monsta!

Bleash

great list! never heard of monkey nipples??!!!
Me neither...but can't wait to taste a couple. I got alive plant from The Chile Woman...(she has some pretty unique plants)
I found this pic and description from a Bolivian site.
Sorta looks like an orange chiltepin to me
MonkeyNipples.jpg

Capezzoli di Scimmia (Capsicum Chinense)
Name is Italian meaning "Monkey Nipples"
40-50cm in height 50-60cm in width.
Med loads of small,upright voksende, very hot,fruity,orange,round fruits med liten pointy tip.
Maturing mid to late season
From Boliivia
www.peperoncino.org

Good luck!!
My little Missus is gonna wash your mouth out with soap for that kind of talk.lol

Beginning in early Feb. until late April she kindly donated the top of the washer and dryer, then the picture window in the living room, so I could germinate 5 trays of seeds.
And a patio in the back yard surrounded by around 80 green, yellow and white buckets... is not what she considers to be aesthetically appealing landscaping (no matter how I rationalize it all).

Ok...sorry for the delay in posting pics...I finally got around to doing the Photobucket upload of the 2011 season so far...

Here's an aerial layout of the "Monsta spread..."
GEarthgardenplot-1.jpg

The first seedlings planted in late February...
DSCF0759.jpg

As the number of seedling trays increase,the laundry room gets transformed into a greenhouse...
DSCF0904.jpg

....then its on to the living room picture window in search of warmth and sunlight.
DSCF0940.jpg

And just when it seems like spring is upon us and I can move some plants outdoors...
DSCF0934.jpg

...we get some late and unseasonal snowfall.
DSCF0935.jpg

...so its back to the laundry room again.
DSCF0916.jpg

So I use the time to build a few more SIP's so I'm ready to plant up when the weather breaks.
DSCF0892.jpg

DSCF0884.jpg

peppergarden2011021.jpg

edit: photobucket issues

Finally , after a few late frosts, the little babes are able to stay outside all night...
peppergarden2011006.jpg

peppergarden2011003-1.jpg

...then soon after, get moved into some more spacious surroundings, one gallon SIP's.
peppergarden2011044.jpg

And ultimately onto their final homes for the season...3.5 or 5 gallon, conventional and global bucket containers.

peppergarden2011041.jpg

peppergarden2011042.jpg

peppergarden2011031.jpg

I've been relocating some of the pots to get a couple additional hours of direct sunlight.
Here's some of the latest pics...
IMG_0682-1-1.jpg

Currently up to 64 total plants...of 46 varieties.
IMG_0684-1.jpg

...only 30 more to transplant....whew !!

Here's a shot of a few Hot Stuff plants.
PI-640881, PI-594136, PI-199506, PI-653680
IMG_0858.jpg

These varieties seem to like the readily available moisture provided by the Global Buckets. Each plant is soaking up around a gallon of water daily, regardless if they are covered or not.
They are doing great with lots of blooms and pods coming on.

And the Pepper Joe Giant Jalokia,in a 3.5 gal GB, is really shifting into gear these days.
IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814-1.jpg

I counted 26 bloom sets yesterday.

A couple of my favorites to watch grow are this Chaco plant I got from The Chile Woman.
IMG_0767-1-1.jpg

...and a couple Manzano's from seeds Buddy sent me last season.(one in a GB the other semi-conventional)
IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

All the while...Snoozle the guard cat, is keeping watch over the pepper patch.
IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

Wow it's all looking great! So many that I have never herd of as well. Will be keeping an eye on this to see how they turn out.

Edit: sp

Back