chili question

for those of you who put fresh chilies into your chili do you leave the seeds in or take them out? I'm thinking of taking them out but making sure i leave the ribs in.

(and here you probably thought i was going to ask beans or not beans? which by the way for those of you that prefer no beans - I think i'm becoming a no bean convert. the last couple of times i've made chili it's been no beans and it's been great.)

The "competition" chili we make we cut the peppers up and add everything seeds, ribs, plecenta everything. Works real nice on our Hot chili made with Bhut Jolokia peppers.... And our competition chili uses a large quantity of beans in it!!!!!!!! Not a big fan of NO BEAN CHILI.....NO BEAN CHILI=SOUP!!!!!

you don't notice the seeds once it's all cooked up? that's my only thought is you will be able to see them and 'feel' them as you eat.

note: i'm starting to go no bean because beans have starch and i'm trying to keep my diet low on starch due to some health reasons. otherwise i like beans too.

I love chili in all of its forms. However, usually when I make it (AJ, hope you can forgive me) I use beans. I have even been known to use 2 or 3 different types of beens. When it comes to peppers, I usually cut them in half and add a few with seeds and then a few without seeds. I just don't like having to many floating seeds in my chili.

AJ is prob going to yell at me with his angry face..."BEANS!?!" :lol:

peter pepper said:
you don't notice the seeds once it's all cooked up? that's my only thought is you will be able to see them and 'feel' them as you eat.

note: i'm starting to go no bean because beans have starch and i'm trying to keep my diet low on starch due to some health reasons. otherwise i like beans too.

I know what ya mean about health....I have diabetes and starch is not good for me either.....although I do cheat every now and then......

And once the chili is cooked and everything is blended you really don't notice the seeds.....Our chili is cooked in stages so you have different textures and blending....hard to explain everything is added at different time intervals...........Just the way I was taught and we keep winning so I'm not gonna change a thing.......LOL

I use a lot of larger annuums in my chili like Anaheims and poblanos, and with these peppers I always remove the numerous large seeds.
I also like beans in my chili but they can easily overpower the taste so moderation is key, and I like to use pinto beans with much less starch

If you can eat beans, put them in your chilli. They,ll do you more good than the meat will - they're full of good stuff.

I usually leave the seeds in because I'm lazy, you aren't missing out on anything if you leave them out.

As for the beans vs. no beans - talk about flogging a dead horse. Why would anyone care if I have beans or not in my chili?

When making chilli, I usually leave most seeds in as you are not going to notice them, but I do remove seeds from any annums that go in because they typically have a larger amount of seeds compared to other varieties of peppers.

And as far as the beans thing goes, if you want beans in your chilli then put them in there, but there will be no beans in my chilli.

peter pepper said:
for those of you who put fresh chilies into your chili do you leave the seeds in or take them out? I'm thinking of taking them out but making sure i leave the ribs in.

fresh or dried, it all depends on which chile it is. certain chiles have way too many seeds or a big fat placenta (ex. jalapeno) if I'm using chiles that have too many seeds or placenta tissue I'll remove them. otherwise I leave the seeds & placenta in the chilli.
if you use fresh tomatoes in your chilli you'll have seeds also. seeds are not a big deal IMO, as long as theres not ALOT in it.

Badger said:
If you can eat beans, put them in your chilli. They,ll do you more good than the meat will - they're full of good stuff.

ditto, beans are good for you!

MrArboc said:
As for the beans vs. no beans - talk about flogging a dead horse. Why would anyone care if I have beans or not in my chili?

we do!!!! we gotta know if you like beans or no beans in your chilli!!!! we're waging a war against the non-beaners for chilli & we need to know what side you're on :lol:

Back