• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

TrentL said:
Wonder what is up with that paper lantern? Looks a bit anemic. Is that a hot spot or something under the lights, maybe? I noticed the plants directly centered under my T5's are lagging a little and looking a lot less green, and more yellow, than the ones on the edges.

It is because i put the rockwool cube inside the larger pot, before it could even grow roots outside the rockwool and i may already know what is wrong with this particular hot paper lantern growing in the large pot and why it looks like that. The chili needs more air circulating around the roots, so i already provided it more air by going stab happy with a metal wire loop.

I guess the metal wire loop stab happy thing for the hot paper latern did the trick:

It looks a bit more green now.

The fertilizer EC number is now between 1.2-1.4 with the added epsom salt dosage.

TrentL said:
There an easy way to figure out that EC value short of a lab test?

Bluelab truncheon...Da bomb and easiest thing ever to measure EC number. Also it works as a fertilizer mixer stick while checking the EC value.

No calibration needed and just wash it good with clean water after use. :dance:

Aji cristal that had problems with edema kind of thing, but it is healing up really nice:

Stab happy hot paper lantern is looking pretty good now:

Looking good. My wife sent me a video of mine after adjusting nutrients. They are exploding with growth. I’m still going to lower the cal mag like you said. But I think they needed a little boost in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chilidude said:
Who needs any fans, when they grow like this:

These will become nice and strong, just the way i like it!

Looks good. Here, we routinely get wind gusts 35+ mph, and some storms will top 70+ mph. I have yet to lose an entire plant from a storm (crossing fingers!). I *have* lost branches on plants and had to do a fair amount of repair work in the past. I've been pretty successful at repairing broken plants.

This one lost a branch loaded with 30+ pods, I used a strip cut from a plastic bag and gave it a para cord wrapping as a cast. Pods finished developing. The important thing is to get a water seal around the stalk / branch, if the break dries out, it's done for. The cells die and it won't heal. But if you get on it quickly, wrap it watertight with plastic, line it up well, and support it, it'll heal stronger than it was before.

GYFgPoz.jpg

i1cDvMM.jpg

Anyway, I start them out with oscillating fans from the time they pop out of the dirt, so the main stalks get strong enough to withstand heavy wind pressure by the time they're ready to go outdoors. I can (and sometimes do accidentally) "drop them on their heads" when transplanting, and they bend, but don't break. 

Indoor grows don't have that wind concern, but for outdoor plants... the more wind you can give them when they are young, the better!

My outdoor growing inside the greenhouse dont have any problems with any strong winds and you want to feed the chilis higher amount of calcium/magnesium to make the stems stronger like i am going right now.

During the summer, the chili stems will grow very thick if i can keep them small during the indoor growing as long as possible. I am trying to keep the center of gravity lower by taking out the lower leaves and burying the stem as time goes by.

Chilidude said:
My outdoor growing inside the greenhouse dont have any problems with any strong winds and you want to feed the chilis higher amount of calcium/magnesium to make the stems stronger like i am going right now.

During the summer, the chili stems will grow very thick if i can keep them small during the indoor growing as long as possible. I am trying to keep the center of gravity lower by taking out the lower leaves and burying the stem as time goes by.

Mine are on a 5ml per gallon dose of CalMag each week right now. Even sprouts get weaker cal mag (3ml/gal/week). I found that calmag was a HUGE limiting factor on growth. Once I started feeding the sprouts cal mag things started taking off rapidly. I'm running lights 24/7 trying to "catch up" the chinense that got a late start and they are literally doubling or tripling in size every day now. I'm even feeding trays which do NOT yet have sprouts a tiny bit (1ml/gal) of cal mag just to get some of it up in to the soil. I'm getting massive growth out of sprouts now - true leaves forming in just a day or two, and plants moving on to their first fork and second/ third sets of leaves within a week. At the very first signs of the first leaves the hydro or organic ferts starts flowing; just a little dose of 1-2-2, followed by a dilution of the A+B a week later; or a 20% dilusion of 5-11-2 organic fert (a mix of a few things in a cocktail, I gave the total NPK value as a ref). 

That is leading to massively rapid growth in 100% coir substrate. And the "end result" of 20+ soil and hydro experiments this year. (Next year I'll refine it further)

I will probably end up having to "top" quite a few of the plants before May. Especially tall / lanky ones like Aji Cerezas - those things are seriously leggy compared to the low & broad chinense I have going. Topping hurts yield (slightly) but creates a much bushier plant with a much better canopy. Since I'm planting in the open field without shade covers this will help keep pods from getting sunburned.  This also causes the stem to thicken, as a nice side effect.

Another side effect of "topping" (which is proven to work on peppers via a couple of studies) is that pods are overall larger, and better quality, than plants which were not topped. While yield is slightly hurt, the quality of the peppers improves significantly. So it's a good trade off if you want "quality over quantity"

Any forks with "triplets" should get the third branch whacked off. Those are nutrient suckers and don't produce jack squat, in comparison to the two stronger branches at a fork. Just be careful not to mess up the main Y of the fork. If you damage it the plant will not produce well.

Late season to "hasten" what is not ripe, cut EVERYTHING off except for the branches you want to finish producing. You can "rush" a branch or three this way, at the expense of others which have immature fruits.  The plant will put everything it has in to finishing off what you leave on it. Once those final pods are done, lop off those and bring inside for overwinter (if that's the goal). Or pull it and throw it on the mulch pile.

What you are doing by removing leaves and planting deeper is interesting, I usually plant right up to the cotys when I transplant. With a pure passive hydro grow like you are doing, I wouldn't be concerned, but with my organic stuff, removing leaves and putting them below the soil line is a big "NOPE!" - don't want that bacteria or fungus invading the plant through the open cuts!

Just curious but when you remove leaves and plant deeper in hydro, those end up forming roots at those nodes you cut, right?

You ever think about using a root stimulant to promote that additional rooting? Or would that slow down their growth up top too much?

TrentL said:
What you are doing by removing leaves and planting deeper is interesting, I usually plant right up to the cotys when I transplant. With a pure passive hydro grow like you are doing, I wouldn't be concerned, but with my organic stuff, removing leaves and putting them below the soil line is a big "NOPE!" - don't want that bacteria or fungus invading the plant through the open cuts!

If removing the lower leaves gradually as the plant grows to make them heal up and then burying the stems works for me with coco coir growing, i just keep doing it till i see pink elephants.

This is a update pictures to see how most of my c.baccatum new leaves dont look too good at all at the moment and i started to wonder what was wrong with them:

Turns out my current dosage of b'cuzz part a +b was slightly off and i have been giving them too much potassium causing calsium lockdown as a result and who knows what else too.

I now watered them with even portion of part a 15ml/part b 15ml to 10 litres of water to see how will they respond to that change.

Back