• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

lespaulde said:
Indeed, some magnificent plants, and many which are so tall already! You clearly know what you are doing and it's with awe that I was watching the vid. :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

The outdoor growing is usually the easy part of the growing, but i still need to refine my indoor growing of the young plants so the part about my knowing what i am doing is still a question mark for now.. But the good thing is that you might learn from you mistakes and try to do better next year. :P

As a side note the Hesi coco aji cristal started pushing out tiny pods and i already see 5+many more are coming. Before i got enough rainwater to water my plants, i had to use tapwater with combination of this fertilizer for several weeks and it seemed to work ok, so i can see it becoming one of my go-to safe to use nutrients for chili growing. Hesi coco might not be most optimal for chili growing, but if it is safe to use and gets consistent results, what more can you ask from a easy to use nutrient. :rolleyes:

Hesi also have the soil bloom complex fertilizer with a NPK 3+3+4 for soil growers and it also seems to have plenty of good reviews, so it might be worth trying out for chili growing if you use soil mix.

PtMD989 said:
Are all your plants on the Hesi Coco treatment plan? They are looking great [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, only the three test subjects and rest of them are fed with the Ghe combo. For now i dont see any major difference between them, so for the sake of Hesi coco that is a really positive sign for the long term success.

Chilidude said:
No, only the three test subjects and rest of them are fed with the Ghe combo. For now i dont see any major difference between them, so for the sake of Hesi coco that is a really positive sign for the long term success.
Hesi = less money spent + easier mixing + same results as the high dollar stuff [emoji106]. Hell Yeah: winning

PtMD989 said:
Hesi = less money spent + easier mixing + same results as the high dollar stuff [emoji106]. Hell Yeah: winning

Now now, even if the Hesi coco ends up giving me a bit less of harvest in the end than the Ghe, it is still going the win the price vs performance by far. They say some of the Hesi nutrients smells like a some kind of juice and sure enough when i smelled the Hesi coco, it had this sweet juice like smell. :P

The plants look really healthy and happy! 

What's your temps like this time of year? We hit 98F today ("heat index", what it "feels" like based on humidity level was 117F)

I'm worried about dropped flowers as my chinense are JUST opening flowers now, and temps are so high.

TrentL said:
The plants look really healthy and happy! 
What's your temps like this time of year? We hit 98F today ("heat index", what it "feels" like based on humidity level was 117F)

I'm worried about dropped flowers as my chinense are JUST opening flowers now, and temps are so high.

Day temps are hovering in the 15-18c range for now and the night temps are in the 8-10c range. Next weeks forecast says that the temperatures will start to rise as my c.chinense dont like those cooler night temps at all, but i am lucky that the c. baccatum dont seem to mind that much about cooler temperatures.

I only had one pepper wilting in the heat today, surprisingly, was the Tekne Dolmasi (turkish stuffing pepper). I figured those would be heat tolerant but all of them were sad looking.

Every other variety I'm growing were looking great in the high temps today. 

We're long past worrying about cooler temps here, until late September / early October. I'll keep track of which ones start falling off the earliest so I know which ones will have priority space in the high tunnels next year.

You have any problems with leaf dropping off plants with the cooler temps? I noticed problems at 8C (48F) before with leaf drop on chinense. But those were also accustomed to temps in the 70F / 21C range and the temp drop was very abrupt.

TrentL said:
You have any problems with leaf dropping off plants with the cooler temps? I noticed problems at 8C (48F) before with leaf drop on chinense. But those were also accustomed to temps in the 70F / 21C range and the temp drop was very abrupt.

No leaf drop problems with my c.chinense or my c.baccatum, they dont seems to care even if the temps goes really low inside the greenhouse.

Thanks for the update.  Quite a lot of flowers you getting there. Mine were blooming heavily too due last heatwave, but now temperature dropped, plants reacting by dropping flowers. Those capsicums are sensitive beings. :tear:

styxhexnchilli said:
Thanks for the update.  Quite a lot of flowers you getting there. Mine were blooming heavily too due last heatwave, but now temperature dropped, plants reacting by dropping flowers. Those capsicums are sensitive beings. :tear:

I think it is most likely the cold draft that makes the c.chinense drop those flowers, but even a simple cold frame can protect them pretty good against sudden cold winds.

Finally all my c.chinense have started making tiny pods, but the Hot paper lantern is the one that have the most pods developing right now and i am quite happy about that particular thing. :P

styxhexnchilli said:

Mine are in small greenhouse. Temps vary from +18 to +22 daytime. +15 at night. :evil:

Those are good temps for c.chinense, as i see those kind of night temps much later in the summer.

Chilidude said:

Those are good temps for c.chinense, as i see those kind of night temps much later in the summer.

So what might be a problem then? Soil is good, each watering with low diluted fert. mb not enough direct sunlight, it is raining for about 4 days now, sky is fully cloudy.

styxhexnchilli said:

So what might be a problem then? Soil is good, each watering with low diluted fert. mb not enough direct sunlight, it is raining for about 4 days now, sky is fully cloudy.

I dont really know if all else is ok, they just start doing pods when they are ready to do so.

Those aji look pretty happy :  ) Nice greenhouse too.

I was planning on running two aji plants (they're currenty tiny seedlings) in my 80*80*160 grow tent but I'm wondering if they'll be smoshed together even with "only" 4l of growth substrate as most aji plants seem pretty tall and wide.

Back