• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chilli travels: ciudad de méxico

even though having been to (and lived in) the top world metropolises nothing prepares you for mexico city, it definitely lives up to its reputation! despite the talk about it being a dangerous place, atmosphere is very lively and people unbelievably friendly. made some time to visit local markets to do some chilli hunting, mountains of fresh and dry chillies were ubiquitous (mostly poblanos and jalapeños) and scent of smoked chipotles ever present. a kilo of nicely corked jalapeños was only seven pesos (half a euro or three quarters of a buck). unfortunately it appeared to be slightly early in the season as there were few habaneros, manzanos or other less usual varieties. pictures shown are from la merced market. i found a couple of seed stalls and got commercial stuff for standard mexican varieties. food is paradise as it is universally spicy, dressed with plenty of different salsas and guacamole.

finally I came across a chile parado (“quiet chilli”) plant in a chinampa (semi floating flower and vegetable garden) in xochimilco, one of the last remains of what aztec agriculture must have looked like in the lake bound tenochtitlan. the chile parado is most likely an annuum variety with unripe fruits pitch black and erect, but what is most striking is the stem furriness (likely to originate from a wild variety). couldn’t help going for my second chilli plant smuggling attempt and succeeding, despite being searched twice in mexico city and amsterdam airports (staff at the latter didn’t mind allowing a live plant into europe yet intercepted my duty free tequila!)

IMG_3363.jpg
IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg
chileparado.jpg

Sounds like you had fun. Personally I've always wanted to visit Brazil. I've been to Mexico before though. Definitely a lively place to go and the foods good. However, don't drink the water:shocked::lol:

Wow thats some trip you had to Mexico my friend and mexico city markets..Wow just look at those piles of chilis im so jealous..sounds like you had a fantastic time the chile parado sounds very interesting indeed very very interesting..You are on my christmas card list thats all iam going to say :D :rolleyes:

greetings

Very nice plant you have there, chile parado however is not translated to Quiet but meant standing. I am a Mexican citizen, and my county has many beautiful chile markets like this. I love going to them they smell fantastic! Congrats on getting your plant back safely.

Looks like you were in chili heaven. I'm sure you had a great time. Thanks for sharing some pics. This hairy plant looks really cool, too!

Back