• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ChilliCrosser Crosses

I've opted to keep details of my crossing projects in this dedicated thread rather than include it in my 2021 Glog

Edited this post to summarise what crosses I've got and where they are at, I will try and keep it current. Dates in status column reflect when I've updated the information not when the cross was actually made. I've not included every historic cross I've ever made and ignores anything where I haven't got at least F1 seeds unless I thought it was useful to record. Information might be useful to someone at some point.
ChilliCrosser CrossCurrent Status
X001 : Bolivian Rainbow x Cheiro Roxa (C.Annuum x C.Chinense)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.
X002 : Fijian Bongo x Cheiro Roxa (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)โŒ16/8/21: Only had a single F1 seed even though this was an intraspecific, strange result and the seed didn't germinate. End of cross project.
X003 : Brazilian Starfish Red x [CGN21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore] (C.Baccatum x C.Chinense)๐Ÿคž ๐ŸŒฑ 16/8/21: Had plenty of F1 seeds from the original F0 pods. First attempt to grow an F1 was ended when weather finished off the plant before any fruiting. Currently growing four F1 plants outdoors in the 2021 season. All looking healthy but concerned I've not seen any fruit setting yet. Possibly sterile but reserving judgement until the end of the season.
X004 : Tasmanian Habanero x Giant White Habanero (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ16/8/21: Growing F2 plants, some initial pods setting.
X005 : Fidalgo Roxa x Giant White Habanero (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)๐ŸŒฑ16/8/21: Growing F2 plants, no pods set yet.
X006 : Fidalgo Roxa x Fijian Bongo (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ16/8/21: Growing F2 plants, some initial pods setting.
X007 : Fijian Bongo x Aji Jobito (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ16/8/21: Growing F2 plants, some initial pods setting.
X008 : Fijian Bongo x Brazilian Starfish Yellow (C.Chinense x C.Baccatum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds.
X009 : Brazilian Starfish Yellow x C.Flexuosum (C.Baccatum x C.Flexuosum)โŒ16/8/21: Very small F0 pod set but zero F1 seeds. Inside of pod looked healthy. Lack of F1 seeds could have been due to pod size. One for me to try again at some point I think.
X010 : Brazilian Starfish Yellow x [CGN21500 x Grao De Bode] (C.Baccatum x C.Chinense)โŒ16/8/21: Had 4 F1 seeds from a single F0 pod, only 1 germinated. F1 plant taken out by a storm. End of cross project.
X011 : Giant White Habanero x Fijian Bongo (C.Chinense x C.Chinense) ๐Ÿคฉ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ16/8/21: Summary of wide range of phenotypes from F2 here. Currently have F3 seeds for all phenotypes and have been growing a batch of F3 plants for the red phenotypes outdoors this season, waiting on F3 pods from these so hope to have F4 seeds this year. Most likely to also grow forward the Apricot Peach phenos to stabilise.
X012 : Brazilian Starfish Yellow x Tasmanian Habanero (C.Baccatum x C.Chinense)โŒ16/8/21: Had an F0 pod but no F1 seeds. End of cross project.
X013 : White Bhut Jolokia JW x Variegated Jalapeno (C.Chinense x C.Annuum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.
X014 : White Bhut Jolokia JW x Sweet Apple Kambe (C.Chinense x C.Annuum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: Single F1 seed, not grown on yet.
X015 : White Bhut Jolokia JW x Scotch Brains XCP Chocolate (C.Chinense x C.Chinense) ๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.
X016 : White Bhut Jolokia JW x Brazilian Starfish Red (C.Chinense x C.Baccatum)โŒ16/8/21: Had 2 F1 seeds from a small F0 pod, both failed to germinate. End of cross project.
X017 : White Bhut Jolokia JW x Sugar Rush Stripey (C.Chinense x C.Baccatum)โŒ16/8/21: Had 2 F1 seeds from a small F0 pod, both failed to germinate. End of cross project.
X018 : Brazilian Starfish Red x Peppacream (C.Baccatum x C.Baccatum)โญ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ16/8/21: Started as an accidental cross. Starting to get ripe F1 pods with F2 seeds. Super tasty!
X019 : Clavo Peach x Sugar Rush Stripey (C.Chinense x C.Baccatum)๐Ÿคž16/8/21: Had 3 F0 pods, each with healthy looking F1 seeds. Started germination for some F1 seeds from each of the F0 pods on 14/8/21, waiting to see if viable.
X020 : Scarlett's Chilli x Indian Chilli Bullet (C.Annuum x C.Annuum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.
X021 : Sugar Rush Stripey x White Bhut Jolokia JW (C.Baccatum x C.Chinense)๐Ÿคž16/8/21: First F0 pod was unhealthy inside, only 1 F1 seed formed which still looked non-viable, tried to germinate it anyway but no surprises when it failed. Have another F0 pod ripening, waiting to see if that's any better.
X022 : Clavo Peach x Brazilian Starfish Yellow (C.Chinense x C.Baccatum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.
X023 : [BOC x Aji Pineapple] x Sugar Rush Stripey ([C.Chinense x C.Baccatum] x C.Baccatum)๐Ÿ…ฟ๏ธ16/8/21: F1 seeds, not grown on yet.

FAQs
- Why so many crosses? Please check my username.

- Seriously, why so many crosses? I like to have plenty of F1 seeds available to pick from at the start of a growing cycle. For me personally it stops me wishing I'd made some more crosses 6 months ago and when a particular cross project hits a dead end or doesn't look interesting I have something else I can quickly switch to. You'll see quite a few interspecific crosses in my list, they are often doomed to failure so having a Plan B helps.

- Are you attempting to stabilise all of these? No, only ones which head in a direction I like.

- How many plants do you grow? 90% of my crosses are started on indoor plants grown in mini-hydro kratky jars, 240ml/8oz. Plants are kept really small and I typically only get one or two F0 pods to get F1 seeds from. So far I've normally grown two F1 plants if possible, plant numbers in subsequent generations depend on how much space I have available in each growing cycle.

- Isn't it better to just focus on a single cross? If you like all your eggs in one basket and you're not concerned with sequentially growing projects over a very long time period then yes. This is just a hobby for me so I like to keep it varied and fun whilst still attempting to stabilise my favourites.

- Why haven't you given your crosses silly names? That time will come as is traditional in the chilli pepper world. I likely won't bother until I have something vaguely stable and predictable, possibly F4 onwards.

A summary of my live projects where I'm growing plants as of June 2021 are:
  • X003 : Brazilian Starfish Red x [CGN21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore] (C.Baccatum x C.Chinense)
  • X004 : Tasmanian Habanero x Giant White Habanero (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)
  • X005 : Fidalgo Roxa x Giant White Habanero (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)
  • X006 : Fidalgo Roxa x Fijian Bongo (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)
  • X007 : Fijian Bongo x Aji Jobito (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)
  • X011 : Giant White Habanero x Fijian Bongo (C.Chinense x C.Chinense)

More details of where I'm at with generations, phenotypes, plants and photos in subsequent posts on this thread. Everything is early on and ranges from F1 to F3. I've also attempted some new crosses already this season so will also mention those.

Last edited:
Another F3, think itโ€™s safe to say I have enough white/pale-yellow/yellow/yellow-orange lines to pick from. Next year I aspire to have less stripes in my garden ๐Ÿ™‚
IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg
Taste test on this one means I think I have to grow it on. Nice bright, fresh, baccatum taste with a little sweetness. Medium wall but forgot to get a pic when tasting! Once the dense seed mass is removed there is only a low level of heat, perfect for everyone.

Iโ€™m going to have to think hard on which of these I pursue given they are all rejects from my main StripeyStarfish project. Iโ€™ll keep growing a couple of lines I expect.

A few more F2 plants showing an outcome on my X051 project, C.rabenii x (Brazilian Starfish Yellow x Sugar Rush Stripey).

These are all red with no obvious striping, some have the soft fruit trait and some donโ€™t. Iโ€™ve posted several pictures of the striped phenotypes I found earlier in this thread.

Iโ€™ll get round to doing a summary post showing the flower patterns and pods for each of the F2s. This was only a small test grow to see if striping made it through.

IMG_6108.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg
IMG_6129.jpeg

IMG_6137.jpeg

X044 F2 Plant 1
(Brazilian Starfish Yellow x Sugar Rush Stripey) x (Sugar Rush Stripey x Pimenta Da Neyde)

I think Iโ€™ve found the cool multi-stage colour transition trait that the unstable father had. Not all the colours are visible currently but if like the father they should go:
Light green ->
Purple ->
Yellow ->
Yellow-orange ->
Orange ->
Red

Four of those six colours visible on the plant at the moment.
IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

Last edited:
X044 F2 Plant 1
(Brazilian Starfish Yellow x Sugar Rush Stripey) x (Sugar Rush Stripey x Pimenta Da Neyde)

I think Iโ€™ve found the cool multi-stage colour transition trait that the unstable father had. Not all the colours are visible currently but if like the father they should go:
Light green ->
Purple ->
Yellow ->
Yellow-orange ->
Orange ->
Red

Four of those six colours visible on the plant at the moment.
IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

A few more harvested from X044 F2 Plant 1
IMG_7751.jpeg

IMG_7754.jpeg

First ripe one from Plant 3, which had green foliage rather than dark foliage. Struggling to get pods to ripen on this in the cold temperatures.
IMG_7756.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

I only grew a small number of these F2s to test them out. Plant 3 has already confirmed Stripey genetics are holding on.

Plant 1 is worth taking to F3 just based on the cool multi-stage ripening colours.

Iโ€™ll try to remember to post pictures of the insides and report on flavour later. Looking forward to seeing how the baccatum v chinense flavours have panned out.

Iโ€™ll probably do a bigger F2 grow out next year for this cross to see if there is a dark foliage, multi-stage ripening with stripes in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Some very interesting results, CC. Iโ€™m not quite
sure how you keep track of all these plants. Your
grow space must be really full!

25 days in and so far I have 9 F1 seedlings covering 5 pollen batches. These are C.flexuosum intraspecific crosses where Iโ€™m trying to capture variegation from the pollen donor.

IMG_7796.jpeg

Itโ€™s going to be a long wait to find out though, I need to grow these to get a big F2 seed sample and then mass sow to see if any variegation emerges.

Last edited:
Great video once again mate! No propeller shaped cream/pale yellow with stripes in the lot?
No, only non-striped versions of that propeller shaped one.

Complex shapes like the starfish obviously rely on multiple genes. I'm just going to keep going forward with the ones that look acceptable for shape, colour combos and taste good or better. In parallel I'm going to wind back to F2 on the line that I grew hardly any of, everything I did grow from that line has had a good shape though.

Some good non-starfish shaped spin off projects discovered along the way though :-)

Adding this in here just for the record. I've shared pictures mainly in the Wild Community grow thread. This video just has a compilation of F1 photos as a record and for reference. I didn't find any images of this hybrid elsewhere so felt I needed to share them in multiple ways.

One of the X051 F2 plants putting out these consistently shaped small pods (Plant 1). Unlike the bigger bullet shaped striped pods from another F2 (Plant 2) these have kept the soft pod trait from the wild parent. Itโ€™s kept some of the nice flavours from the wild as well ๐Ÿ˜‹

C.rabenii x (Brazilian Starfish Yellow x Sugar Rush Stripey)

IMG_3251.jpeg
Love this - always fancied trying to achieve something similar crossing Fish with a pequin like Bailey but never got to it. This is spectacular

Back