• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilliman`s GROW THREAD 09` - & Construction of my pollytunnels

chilliman said:
How often do you wash your cover?

I wash the covers every year. They do end up having a noticeable film of algae on them which cuts a lot of light out. The ends need doing inside and out (the insides of the ends get an algae build up because condensation sits in the folds), whereas only the outside of the hooped part of the structure needs doing. I use a long broom with washing up liquid, nothing special. It's a pain in the arse, but a job that needs doing.

The weather is looking good here for the weekend, so I'll be working on a tunnel too; about time because the plants still in pots are gagging to be planted out. Look forward to seeing some photos of your progress.

From the garden of late -

Lemonade lemons
012-3.jpg

Mini Mandarine, Guava, cherry toms..
009-8.jpg

Still stuck inside..... I know a coat ! lol ... if it was normal rain....

Anyway

UPDATE PHOTO on seedlings - 30-40 seedlings per greenhouse..
005-6.jpg

Just put in Corno Di toro, Orange Scotch bonnett, antillias, more habs.

Hopefully we see good weather, soon.... I need to move some dirt & build a tunnel......lol

FINALLY A START ....

This morning was nice .... I got out and strated early....
Mapped it out, ALOT of measureing.... because it is so long, I ran brick lines to stay in shape..
001-7.jpg

002-6.jpg

Finished the rings lunch time - Hands are blistered form driving stakes into the ground ! -
004-5.jpg

005-7.jpg

The weather is turning again, hope to get cover up today!

Has been pretty easy so far by myself, next to put cover on alone...heheh this should be comical.... looks like rain is going to stop.

Will have gravel - arriving next week....ahhhh thats going to pain stakeing..... will run a waterproof mat first, to try recycle some water..
I think I will run POTS to keep cost down at the moment. Cant afford the outdoor hydro tables ATM.

Getting there ! - Need to tighten up and engineer a door ... but good so far !
014-3.jpg

013-5.jpg

010-7.jpg

008-6.jpg

As you can see- positioned to get half shade by 3pm... the rest will get till sunset..

SeeYouJimmy said:
Looking good there Chilliman.

Thanx mate ! :)
Big day, going to have a number of burbons .... Still got alot to do.....

But the Chilli Nursery is coming along.. And should be ready to send seedlings by mail & pods by the new season..

Cheers all !!

CM

looking good...I highly recommend cutting the grass as low as you can get it then putting weed cloth down before putting the gravel down...if you don't the grass is going to overcome the gravel and pretty soon you will have grass with gravel under it...bottom line, the grass needs to go bye bye IMO....

Josh said:
Wow! A huge poly tunnel and a trampoline. You are living the dream.

Thanx mate, :P its is a small hanger.... the wife wanted the trampoline, she has only used a dozen times in its 2 year life...

AlabamaJack said:
looking good...I highly recommend cutting the grass as low as you can get it then putting weed cloth down before putting the gravel down...if you don't the grass is going to overcome the gravel and pretty soon you will have grass with gravel under it...bottom line, the grass needs to go bye bye IMO....

I will take your advice AJ, and will cut and kill most of it..

Thanx a heap,
Ian

Back