• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Choc. Jalapeno?

My fiance's parents grown their own jalapeno's every year. This year most are ripening red, but my fiance brought home a bag of ripe ones for me the other night and one of them in the bag had a very distinct chocolate color to it. I was immediately excited when I saw this and wasted no time in tearing of the stem and taking a big bite. It seemed like the heat hit before I even bit into it(that's how fast it took effect), it wasn't real hot but the speed in which it hit really caught me off guard. It was probably the best tasting jalapeno I ever had. So does a chocolate jalapeno exist, I know there are purple ones but this was definately brown, or is this just a really unstable recessive trait that I got lucky with? Either way I saved about 20 seeds out of this thing to plant in about 4 months.

I don't know if there is a Chocolate Habanero.
I never heard of it but, then again, in Europe there isn't the Jalapeno culture.

If it tasted that good then you make an excellent choice by saving seeds from it.
Grow them and share the pics here. I know I would like to see a picture of the pods of a Chocolate Jalapeno. :)

Bleash

Absolutely I will be growing this next season, they were really really good. If I can get them to duplicate what they looked like this year then I will try to isolate some flowers and then start putting seeds out there for anyone who wants them.

Did you take any pics? either way grow the seeds and share your results.
Haha, funny you ask... No, I didn't take any pics, I saw that pod and immediately ripped into it. In hind sight that was probably not very well thought out. I was going to wait till next season to grow it, but who am I kidding, we all know I'm gonna get home from class tonight and put it into some dirt. I will save the majority of the seeds for next season, but I have to throw at least a couple in today.

I just picked a few of my own that were going through a "brown" phase. A day or two after picking they usually go to red if not eaten yet.

Back