Chocolate 7 Pot and Douglah

Until recently, I have thought the Chocolate 7 Pot and the 7 Pot Douglah were names for the same pepper.  Today, got an email from someone who is looking for Chocolate 7 Pot seeds that are not the Douglah. So now wondering.   Any clue?

i'm no expert and with the variations i see sometimes with seeds of the same variety and source its hard to tell, but i have grown douglahs twice before and both times pods where longer than they were wide, but the 7 pot chocolate i had last year was a blockier pod as wide as it was long, flavor seemed the same though both had that distinct taste that chocolate superhots tend to have

The Chocolate 7-Pot, also called the 7-Pot Douglah, is named after its ability to “spice 7 pots of stew.” The name Douglah . (  i found this on site describing the origin and all about the douglah . whether its spot on can't confirm it but is legit page . )

As far as I have researched, they are one and the same (from a flavour / colour profile).. However you could say that the 'Douglah' is a specific pheno of the 7 Pot Chocolate. A bumpier more gnarly strain...with increased heat etc. and comparing a 7 Pot Red to a Red Douglah isn't a good comparison as we all know specific colours come with there own variations that can further increase or reduce change in the pods look...

** And isn't the history of the Red Douglah that it was a genetic throw back off the chocolate which would mean that the pepper has gone from 7 Pot Red (sister to) --->  7 pot Chocolate ---> 7 Pot Chocolate Douglah ---> 7 Pot Red Douglah... So your talking one sister pod and two generations of pheno changes removed from the original..  so comparing it back to a 7 pot red would be some extension of comparison...

This is just my understanding and could be completely wrong...

Oh dear.  This one has been argued/discussed/deliberated many times.  I guess its worth another session as it leads to further discussions ablout other constructs in our naming game.

So.  Just for clarity.  I will unravel this with glee :crazy:

Now please understand - this is not groundbreaking new evidence.  Just a recap.

In Trinidad (maybe whole Caribbean, not sure) a douglah is a person of mixed race.  Now before anybody says: so a brown chili then.  No.  Cos there's already various brown chili there - think chocolate scotch bonnet, brown congo.  the name implies a mixture - a recombination of genes to arrive at a different entity.

Now this would be the reason for this entity having this name - it is a recombination.  It is called a chocolate 7 pot as well (I know HippieSeedCo calls it by this name as well).  My hunch is that it is a red 7 pot x chocolate bonnet. 

It differs from the brown 7 pot in being more elongated, more pimply (from the 7 pot influence) and often with a stinget end or at least pointed.

The brown 7 pot is more dumpy and is usually blunt ended.  It is also smaller.  The true Douglah is a big thing.  The Alphanerdz strain is by far the best representative thereof.

Sooooooooooo.  Long story short.  Yes the Douglah and the Chocolate 7 Pot are the same thing although I prefer the name Douglah.  The Brown & Pot is a different thing.  Not nearly as nice as the Douglah though.

jedisushi06 said:
Why do the same questions keep getting posted.  i'm pretty sure there's a thread for this already.
Cause some of us have not read nor remember each post ever made at THP and the search feature leaves a great deal to be desired.

Kraken, thanks but there is no link in your post.  Please tell me you have not joined the redundancy police.  Kind of waiting for new members to get blasted by them for asking about a pest problem previously discussed. 

Robstar, excellent explanation of the mixed race hook.  I had thought maybe it was a derogatory term and folk drifted towards chocolate to avoid it.  Never could understand why it is that folk think pure race is a good thing.  Pure bred dogs have shorter life spans and more health problems.  Gene pool being too small n all.

Jedi, I use this forum system because I enjoy the interaction and conversation.  I think a lot of others do as well.  But if you really want people not to ask questions and solicit opinions on things already addressed, why not start jumping on folk who ask about yellowing leaves or solutions to mite problems? 

Maybe you would be more happy with a Wiki sort of thing rather than a forum system.  I wish you much luck with that quest.  I'll stick with the interaction of the wonderful members here, even when they do ask about yellowing leaves, mite problems, and other topics beneath your redundancy threshold.

jedisushi06 said:
You could do is all a favor and stop clogging up the feed on here with questions that have already been presented and answered. Thanks!

While I understand that you have issue with " relisting previously discussed topics " this is a pepper forum... Their are only so many topics that CAN be discussed and when you start hitting 5,000 - 8,000 - 10,000 plus topics I'm sure there is going to be a plethora of over lapping and reposting of topics..

The beauty of this forum of course is that there is no requirement to respond to any topic's you don't want too.... So feel free to skip over topics like this that cause you issue. However if you feel that you would like to re-discuss an already flogged topic you could post your knowledge, understanding and point of view on the topic if you wish.

As for topics being brought back up again, have you ever tried to use the search engine for a topic.. Write in  ' Carolina Reaper ' and see how many topic headers come up.. Now go through them all and tell me what ones talk about the reapers alleged parent plants....

Exactly - I'm not here to do College level researching, I'm here to discuss topic's I find interesting with like minded people who would ALSO like to talk about that topic.

As for CLOGGING the forum.. AS there a WHOPPING total of a bout 3-4 topics a day on a good day.. I don't see that EVER being an issue..

You obviously like to post here with your 3k + posts, I hope there all not as negative and unnecessary as this one was, I would prefer to see the wisdom you obviously have gathered through so much forum browsing.

KrakenPeppers said:

While I understand that you have issue with " relisting previously discussed topics " this is a pepper forum... Their are only so many topics that CAN be discussed and when you start hitting 5,000 - 8,000 - 10,000 plus topics I'm sure there is going to be a plethora of over lapping and reposting of topics..

The beauty of this forum of course is that there is no requirement to respond to any topic's you don't want too.... So feel free to skip over topics like this that cause you issue. However if you feel that you would like to re-discuss an already flogged topic you could post your knowledge, understanding and point of view on the topic if you wish.

As for topics being brought back up again, have you ever tried to use the search engine for a topic.. Write in  ' Carolina Reaper ' and see how many topic headers come up.. Now go through them all and tell me what ones talk about the reapers alleged parent plants....

Exactly - I'm not here to do College level researching, I'm here to discuss topic's I find interesting with like minded people who would ALSO like to talk about that topic.

As for CLOGGING the forum.. AS there a WHOPPING total of a bout 3-4 topics a day on a good day.. I don't see that EVER being an issue..
You obviously like to post here with your 3k + posts, I hope there all not as negative and unnecessary as this one was, I would prefer to see the wisdom you obviously have gathered through so much forum browsing.

well said!

Back