• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Bhut Down!

We had a 15 minutes storm this morning that had some serious wind gusts. My largest chocolate bhut jolokia was laying flat on it's side :( I stood him back up and gave him a stake for support. Keep him in your :pray:.

We had a 15 minutes storm this morning that had some serious wind gusts. My largest chocolate bhut jolokia was laying flat on it's side :( I stood him back up and gave him a stake for support. Keep him in your :pray:.
Sucks dude. That's why I like the woody, over wintered plants and staking them with a hefty stake. Where is the plant broke? Sending healing vibes your way!

Chile plants are pretty tough, I'm sure it will make a comeback. If your plants see a lot of wind, get those stakes down early people. What I use - HERE. I get the 4 foot and cut in half - so you get 50 stakes for $6. Also a great place to buy containers, pots, flats, heat mats and lots more.

Sucks dude. That's why I like the woody, over wintered plants and staking them with a hefty stake. Where is the plant broke? Sending healing vibes your way!

Thanks!

It was staked but not tied, only gets hit with wind from on direction. I must have moved the stake though at some point, it was not in the right place anymore. What's weird is it did not appear to be broken anywhere...the break must have happened under the dirt? It was just laying flat on it's side and I stood it back up and re-staked. Would have snapped a photo but it was raining and way too early to be dealing with technology off any kind :)

Thanks!

It was staked but not tied, only gets hit with wind from on direction. I must have moved the stake though at some point, it was not in the right place anymore. What's weird is it did not appear to be broken anywhere...the break must have happened under the dirt? It was just laying flat on it's side and I stood it back up and re-staked. Would have snapped a photo but it was raining and way too early to be dealing with technology off any kind :)

oh ok. then you're good. I like to encircle the main branches with twine, and then anchor them to the stake. This way the plant sways as one when the big winds come in. I would also pile up some more soil around the base where the roots begin.

oh ok. then you're good. I like to encircle the main branches with twine, and then anchor them to the stake. This way the plant sways as one when the big winds come in. I would also pile up some more soil around the base where the roots begin.

I'll probably go ahead and tie them off later today and definitely going to pile on some more compost/soil. It's been so dry so when we get storms like today it can wash a lot of soil off.

I think if I lived in a hurricane zone I would just grow indoors:-)

yup same 1 came through iowa at about 7 am i had to run out in heavy winds and rain and move all the plants to the shelter i had them staked but 1 was darn near uprooted :shocked: got em to safty then ran for cover and went back out when it was over and looks like i lost 1 pod :cry: and was able to stand back up the wounded soldier had to push my stakes back down in all of them tho.. ganna go the multi stake route now as well :cheers:

Do you have more Choc Bhuts?

I always plant more than I need, these things happen and you have to factor them in.
The part that sucks the most is the time invested, there're no redo only next season.

Man that sucks.. Prayers sent your way.. We are finally getting some rain down here.. Pretty rough storm, I need to go check mine when it slacks off..

Back