• Do you need help identifying a šŸŒ¶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? šŸ¤§
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chocolate Habanero?

Habs are from Mexico, it has nothing to do with the shape. Its just easier to call them habs than C. chinense but it leads to such confusion.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.ph...habanero-&catid=92:pepper-profiles&Itemid=149
"The second nomenclature problem is with the word habanero (sometimes erroneously spelled habaƱero), when it is used in English to represent the entire chinense species. That appellation is a misnomer because there are dozens--if not hundreds--of pod types within the species, and the Spanish name habanero technically refers to a specific pod type from the YucatƔn Peninsula. But because consumers in the United States were familiar with the Mexican peppers, habanero became the buzz word for the species--even to the point where writers were calling the Scotch bonnet a type of "habanero." Wrong. The Scotch bonnet and habanero are different pod types of the same species. Despite all this logic, we admit that the word habanero has come into common usage as the generic term for the species--and that is why we use it in that manner"

POTAWIE said:
Habs are from Mexico, it has nothing to do with the shape. Its just easier to call them habs than C. chinense but it leads to such confusion.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.ph...habanero-&catid=92:pepper-profiles&Itemid=149
"The second nomenclature problem is with the word habanero (sometimes erroneously spelled habaƱero), when it is used in English to represent the entire chinense species. That appellation is a misnomer because there are dozens--if not hundreds--of pod types within the species, and the Spanish name habanero technically refers to a specific pod type from the YucatƔn Peninsula. But because consumers in the United States were familiar with the Mexican peppers, habanero became the buzz word for the species--even to the point where writers were calling the Scotch bonnet a type of "habanero." Wrong. The Scotch bonnet and habanero are different pod types of the same species. Despite all this logic, we admit that the word habanero has come into common usage as the generic term for the species--and that is why we use it in that manner"

"and the Spanish name habanero technically refers to a specific pod type from the YucatƔn Peninsula"

Kinda like Champagne is only from a certain region of France even if the same grapes are grown elsewhere and make just as good of bubbly.

OK, you have to respect that. Just like I abhore the use of "irregardless" just because it is so commonly accepted in the misused form, I want to be technically correct about this.

But I also want to be able to communicate with chiliheads without splitting hairs.

How can we call anything a hab powtowie? I am not trying to be a smart ass, I just want to know if you know of some litmus test other than travelling directly to the yucatan to collect seeds.

Not really like champagne since habs are grown commercially around the world.
With known peppers you can check the databases if not I encourage you to use C. chinense instead of deciding for yourself if its a Scotch bonnet or a Congo or a hab etc. and adding to the degrading of taxanomy.
Its like these Scotch bonnets that are from Africa, should they be called Scotch bonnet since that is a Caribbean pepper, and do they taste like or look like Caribbean SB's.

BigDogDaddy said:
I think we should all have a shot of vodka with half a chocolate hab in it........any takers?:mouthonfire:

Can we stuff the hab with Blue Cheese?
P.s.Thanks for the Choc seed bud!:mouthonfire:

ate a winter size choc hab with my lunch today - my winter chinense are all just ripening now. Anyway sliced up button size choc hab on my ham & salad sandwich.

....sent my bottom lip numb lol.

Good luck with those long chocs - I've tried twice to grow them but had zero sprout both times.

Does anyone have any photos of a ripe chocolate hab... long or short?

Edit ---> I just did a forum search and found these... are these all chocolate haps?

P1070116.jpg

2796187273_5b912b62bc.jpg

Back