Cleaning Used Barrels

I'm thinking of building a smoker out of old gas barrels. I've seen dozens of them around, but I'm not sure how to properly clean them out. Anybody out there have any experience in this area.

first Welcome from Fort Worth

I am not sure so I will simply ask the question...does the gasoline or the additives the gas had in it permeate the metal of the barrel?

me personally I wouldnt use any barrel for human food consumption use, if the barrel was used for anything other than a food product.

Yes welcome to THP. I agree with CHILEHUNTER, I would not use any metal barrel that had gasoline in it. Do not know if any good fire would clean it. But why take the chance> You said you have seen them around, did the people clean them or do they even care what they are eating.Just my opinion do not use.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Gas Barrel? hmmm... do you mean propane gas tank? I dont know what a gas barrel is... I would not use anything that any gasoline in it. Oil barrells Im leary of... You want to try and find a food grade oil barrel...

Cutting anything that had gas in them leads to the potential of an explosion -- a large propane bottle I would have a professional do for me and they will fill with water several times and soak it before cutting it with water in it.
and welcome to THP

Just because others are using them, doesn't mean that they won't die in agony, regretting all of the toxic fumes that they breathed and ingested.

WELCOME!!!;)

another thing I just remembered is that those food grade barrels might still not be 100% safe for making a grill/smoker, because they paint the insides of those barrels, & most likely with paint thats not able to withstand fire like paint used on normal grills.

so its your call to use or not to use, if you do I'd at least burn the barrel for a long time before ever using it for food. & when I say burn I mean flames & really hot!

well to get rid of the "food grade barrel" paint i used a wire brush on a drill. i did this to the inside and outside. worked for me

as long as there was no toxic waste in the barrel, it will be fine... burn it out a couple of 3 times...

food grade barrels have different liners in them...from a light tan color to the dreaded red one.

yes you can take out the liner with a wire wheel as stated. or you can burn it out.. the dreaded red liner will take many burns lots of elbow grease and lots of beer to clean it all out..lol

but i have never heard of a gas barrel...oil barrel yes..

maybe find one that had olive oil or similar in it. most of them have no liners in them or the liners are actually bag like and can be simply lifted out and removed.

when you burn out a barrel, we are talking about temperatures of over 1200*F...not much will live after that

Maybe he's talking about large propane tanks.

thehotpepper.com said:

maybe he is...thats a whole other ordeal..lol

fill with water, pour in dish soap, let it soak..repeat...repeat again... purge the tank with Co2.... start the torch, pucker your ass a little more...pray ... pray some more...cut..lol

thehotpepper.com said:

I've seen propane tanks cut length ways and turned into rotisseries.

Not sure what the OP was meaning though, I took it as a big oil/fuel drum.

Well we've all seen UDS pics, here's a pic of a propane tank smoker:

mypit1.jpg

Source: http://www.thesmokerking.com/customsmoker.html

We'll wait for the OP's response, but if it is propane, be careful!!!!!!!! Research the best way, and read Bam's post.

Propane tanks won't explode unless heated with the liquid or gas still in them.
Combustion pressure at normal atmospheric pressure produces ~100psi and those tanks are rated far beyond that.
If you release the gas (if there is any in it) remove the valve and blow the inside out with compressed air everything will be sweet.
Even if any gas in there ignited you would have to have your head over the opening of the bottle to get hurt.
Propane requires a mix in air around 4-8% to really combust anyway so it's safe as houses really.

Well Bam's advice is the same as I've seen before regarding prep for cutting one. They guy who built that one let it soak for two weeks and even left the soapy water in when cutting.

thehotpepper.com said:
Well Bam's advice is the same as I've seen before regarding prep for cutting one. They guy who built that one let it soak for two weeks and even left the soapy water in when cutting.

One word-paranoid.

Back