Cleaning Used Barrels

I have had a propane bottle go up on me, burt my arm and leg pretty good but it still didn't go BOOOOM!!

Well Bam did mention clinching his butt cheeks :lol:

Before you cut a fuel barrel you can also use your car's exhaust to fill the tank up and push out any vapors. You just have to take a tube from the exhaust and put it into the tank, then start the car up and let it run for a good while before cutting, and make sure to keep the car running while youre cutting. I've done that when i used to weld up/repair gas tanks for the military.

well to prep a propane tank for cutting. all you truely need to do is take the bleeder valve out(square female plug) release any remaining "pressure" and then take out all the valves. blow out with air. water filling in unessecarry waste of water. i work in propane. and really the only thing that you would need to worry about cleaning the inside for is to remove the ethyl mrcapasison residue(the liquid we add to give it a "smell") because it can give your meat a nasty taste. also if it is any condolence. at work we will take some tanks home for target practice, and they only way we had one explode was we put it on a fire and shot it with a .45. and it only spewed a large flame for a brief 10 seconds. it didnt go "boom" . but as for any barrel that hat petrol product in it i wouldnt use. thats only good for a burn barrel in my opinion. you can o to a farm grain feed store and get the perfect clean barrels that held stuff like cracked corn kernels, or rabbit pellets. or go to a resterant and see if they have have any ood grade oil barrels for sale(veg oil barrels usually).

codykrr said:
and really the only thing that you would need to worry about cleaning the inside for is to remove the ethyl mrcapasison residue(the liquid we add to give it a "smell") because it can give your meat a nasty taste.

large fire, pressure washed afterwards usually takes care of that problem

codykrr said:
also if it is any condolence. at work we will take some tanks home for target practice, and they only way we had one explode was we put it on a fire and shot it with a .45. and it only spewed a large flame for a brief 10 seconds. it didnt go "boom" .

just better safe than sorry is my whole point... the advice i got was from a fellow Q'r in the propane business as well... so who do you trust?..lol

i wouldnt want to be grinding away or cutting with my torch and all of a sudden i get a flame that shoots out at me for 10 seconds... 10 seconds is long enough to do massive burns to the eyebrows..lmao

haha...yeah, i guess better safe than sorry, my only point was, that water filling isnt a must is all. still use cation. the tanks that worry me most are the ones that meth heads use to put anhydrous in....we have got a few of those at the plant as well. pocedure requires us to call the D.E.A. but still id hate to be popping a valve of one of those. which is why we always bleed them off first, the vacume purge them.

Theres some good info here! I just picked these up today to make a trailer
mounted smoker with,

I thought I was gonna have to fill with water to cut!
Thanks!

ButchT

No one's mentioned the obvious choice: Beer Barrels!

Are they a bit on the small side? Could 2 be welded together to get a longer smoker?

RS

There are so many things that can be used, the first Weber was made from a buoy.

BamsBBQ said:
as long as there was no toxic waste in the barrel, it will be fine... burn it out a couple of 3 times...

food grade barrels have different liners in them...from a light tan color to the dreaded red one.

yes you can take out the liner with a wire wheel as stated. or you can burn it out.. the dreaded red liner will take many burns lots of elbow grease and lots of beer to clean it all out..lol

but i have never heard of a gas barrel...oil barrel yes..

maybe find one that had olive oil or similar in it. most of them have no liners in them or the liners are actually bag like and can be simply lifted out and removed.

when you burn out a barrel, we are talking about temperatures of over 1200*F...not much will live after that

I have one that I just PACKED with wood, and burned 3 times. Each time it got glowing red and was hot for 2 days. I THINK it had a paint additive in it, after all that heat if I then wire brush it out do you think it's safe?

Thanks

Kat

Katrina said:
I have one that I just PACKED with wood, and burned 3 times. Each time it got glowing red and was hot for 2 days. I THINK it had a paint additive in it, after all that heat if I then wire brush it out do you think it's safe?

Thanks

Kat

yes it will be safe... coat it with some cooking spray,lard,olive oil... season it and you are ready to cook

codykrr said:
so did you get that propane tank cleaned yet? id like to see the progress
The answer is no. My brother had a heart attack and passed away
the morning after I picked up the tanks, then I threw out my back,
so wrestling the tanks was put on hold till I heal up a bit, I'll
post some pics when I make a little progress with em!

ButchT

Tigahb8 said:
The answer is no. My brother had a heart attack and passed away
the morning after I picked up the tanks, then I threw out my back,
so wrestling the tanks was put on hold till I heal up a bit, I'll
post some pics when I make a little progress with em!

ButchT

man so sorry to hear of your loss... best wishes from my family to yours

Back