• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Coconut water

Has anyone feed their plants coconut water for growth hormone?

I am looking into seaweed for its growth hormone, then started doing research which lead to coconut water. I tried using coir for seeds this year but it proved weak results.

Apparently coconut water contains cytokinins naturally, we do get coconuts in our grocery stores but the last time I had one I was just a boy and my parents purchased one after a friend finished a teaching session in the caribbean. I have seen coconut milk in cans but have never looked into the water - apparently you can get it bottled.

All my chinense are growing painfully slow and I would like to see if I can give them a bit of a boost.

I tried it once or twice in coco coir. It formed clumps on the surface and I worried it would hurt the drainage and aeration. I can't really comment on any positive results but it didn't kill my plants either.

Don't know much about coconut milk and what it can provide our plants, sorry.

Painfully slow growing peppers is not good. What kind of fertilizers are you using Mark? Have you checked your pH? If your pH is off the plants are not able to use any of the nutrients any fertilizers would be providing.

interesting. I too am piqued. Would love to know more. =D

sorry I couldn't help. haven't read anything about it or heard of this practice. will look online for more info.

Saw this on wikipedia...the link is not internet accessible though.

"In 1943, Johannes van Overbeek discovered that coconut milk actively encourages plant growth. This was later discovered to be due to a number of factors, but predominantly the existence in the milk of a cytokinin known as zeatin. It doesn't speed up growth in some plants such as radishes.[6] The addition of 10% coconut milk to the substrate in which wheat is grown has shown substantial improvements in yield.[7]"

Lauric acid is the primary fatty acids in coconut is thought to have antimicrobial and antifungal properties as well, weather that would hurt and help the plant who knows...

If you use the canned coconut milk in the green and white can it has chunks of coconut in it that you would probably want to strain out. It also has some type of preservative, I can't remember which one though. I read the label a long time ago.

What kind of fertilizers are you using Mark? Have you checked your pH? If your pH is off the plants are not able to use any of the nutrients any fertilizers would be providing.

I haven't used a meter or a kit to check my ph levels but I would assume they are close to the 6 level, I have a seed starter mix; the bag says (N=.09%; PO=.18%; K2O=.09%) contains vermiculite, a wetting agent and lime for proper PH balance.
I have also used peat pellets to try something different and when I get 2nd leaves use a 10-52-10 with nutrients; plus I do the epsom salt mist.

I wish I had a better camera to take a picture of my newly sprouted Chapeu de frade, it literally sprouted in 4 days in a peat pellet in a baggie; the leaves are fat and are wrapped around one another, it looks like something out of Cirque du Soleil, still first leaves only but thick and fat not flat and thin - I am watching this one with interest, yesterday moved it into a 4" pot with soil. My other chapeu looks perfectly normal and is about 3" in height.

I've seen all the other literature listed in the replies, thus my post. I started out researching seaweed extract and then just kept digging - even ran across a reference to corn containing a GH, but it didn't tell how to use it, soyamilk was another to enhance plant growth. My fatalii and habs are 4 months old and about 1.5 inches in height, my fresno's (using same soil) are 12 inches in height and have 2-3 inch long fruit. Bulgarian carrot are 4-5 inches in height. They have been under a full spectrum grow light, a 6500K light and a 2700K light, plus I have a heat mat under them. House temperature is a constant 70F(wife likes it hot, plus as of last week we still were getting snow).

I have seen some of ajarnv previous post and we seem to be experiencing similar problems.

:woohoo: Score; my wife brought home 6 bags of fresh coconut water. Seems it's very popular in our area; she had to wait in line for 30 minutes, ugh!
One bag is going to my plants (diluted of course) but I'm not sure how much. Maybe 50/50 with RO water. Tune in for updates. :lol:

I'm getting old!
Of all the damn things, I went to the grocery store with the intention to look for coconut water and didn't even look for the raw coconut but then again, if I would have seen a coconut it would have triggered something in my brain, so perhaps it is out of season for us.
I found coconut juice, one in a can from Grace's and one frozen but don't think I would trust that until I do further research, of course I found all sorts of coconut milk.
In the past, I have seen frozen seaweed but couldn't find that today either.
So, I guess Ajarnv you are going to drill a hole into the nut and drain the water into a container, then dilute?

Burning Colon said:
I'm getting old!
Of all the damn things, I went to the grocery store with the intention to look for coconut water and didn't even look for the raw coconut but then again, if I would have seen a coconut it would have triggered something in my brain, so perhaps it is out of season for us.
I found coconut juice, one in a can from Grace's and one frozen but don't think I would trust that until I do further research, of course I found all sorts of coconut milk.
In the past, I have seen frozen seaweed but couldn't find that today either.
So, I guess Ajarnv you are going to drill a hole into the nut and drain the water into a container, then dilute?

I don't have the "nut"; a business by my wife's school gets out the water and bags it. Each bag is about a pint. I've also had the fresh nuts before and you don't drill (don't have to); with a very sharp meat cleaver you cut away the pointy end and as I recall, there are three "eyes" (very soft) and you poke a straw through it and drink. You can then cut open the nut and eat the meat.
I'd be careful of prepackaged products; my wife says it must be fresh so there are no additives. I'm too new to this, so I don't "know" anything yet.

Verne

Burning try some sea weed fermented it will surprise the hell out of you on how well it works. tomato plants doubled in size in 4 days. take fresh or dried sea weed in a bowl add water let set over night (will be mush) put into blender cut up as fine as you can.Place into a large jar or container plastic or glass what ever you have,
Add 1/3 water,1/3 molasses 1/3 sea weed cover with any porous paper put in dark place for 1 week strain, you can place old sea weed at base of plants. mix two tablespoons of liquid to 1 gal of old water(left set out for 24 hr. to remove chlorine) spray plants its the best way to use. will also Make soil fluffy. try it you'll will like it. = AjarnV spray leaves at night or very early in the AM i know you don't like to spray leaves because of heat. Its the best way to give to plants

verne, go figure ... you get this stuff by the bucket load, who would have guessed?

Hawaii, the seaweed was my original choice, I am having a difficult time finding seaweed(I am on the leeward side of the rocky mountains - closest ocean is a plane ride away, a couple years ago I did an ocean fishing trip just south of alaska and hooked a whole lot of seaweed, only if I had known). Thus, why I am now looking in grocery stores for packaged seaweed, my guess is it would be seaweed from off the coast of Japan. But, you got me excited now!

thank you eephus, I will give them a try, I have a korean/japanese small grocery store minutes from the house, I will give them a try too and we have another larger chain called T&T supermarket that takes up an entire mall catering to the oriental clientel - english is not even posted on signs, guess a simple "ni hao" will go a long way. I'll bring the kids, they will love it, the last time I was at T&T they had live lobsters that weighed in around 20lbs, monsters.

most asian stores have it, when i don't have time to go collect it, I use dryed works just as well. let us know how it works for you. get unflavored type, As Japanese stores carry it in differant flavors here on the Islands.

HawaiiAl said:
most asian stores have it, when i don't have time to go collect it, I use dryed works just as well. let us know how it works for you. get unflavored type, As Japanese stores carry it in differant flavors here on the Islands.

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention the no flavoring thing. Good call.

I will read the label..... if I can, so nori is the most common seaweed? I don't believe the seaweed extract product that is manufactured from the canada northwest is nori type.

Burning Colon said:
I will read the label..... if I can, so nori is the most common seaweed? I don't believe the seaweed extract product that is manufactured from the canada northwest is nori type.

Dunno about nori vs. commercial algal fertilizers. The liquid seaweed I use is Ascophyllum nodosum, which is probably the most common species used for fertilizer. Nori is a different species entirely. But if you're making your own 'tea', it's probably the most common food-based source you can find (at least around these parts - can't speak knowledgeably about yours).

Nori has a good amount of mineral salts, iron, calcium, etc. It's good for you! And trust me, I'm no expert, but it seems that in at least small amounts, it should be pretty good for plants, too. One way to find out...

Back