coffee-tea Coffee

Grass Snake said:
Maxwell house is what I drink in the morning lol. I like to drink alot of coffee and Maxwell house doesn't give me the jitters like others.
Its not just the cheap beans, they put some better beans in it as well. I believe all Maxwell House coffee is made from the beans we store for Kraft Foods who owns Maxwell House.

Robusta is not the "cheap" bean. Yes, generally it is cheaper on the global market, but premium robusta is $$$ as well. Arabica is a more vulnerable plant with much less yield, so generally it is more expensive. However, somehow a 100% arabica label these days is used as a "look as the quality we sell" label which they use to excuse their crazy pricing. It's all about the quality beans they use though and what flavor you are hoping to get. Arabica is smooth and robusta is sharp. It's all about the blending with quality beans that does the trick.. (and roasting, grinding, and most important... packaging as coffee oxidates ruining the flavor.. older open bags of quality coffee can still give you a cup of piss poor coffee). Also arabica doesn't really adds a crema layer, which robusta does. Except that robusta also is a harder bean, which keeps the ground coffee open when you poor water through it. The same thing as what perlite does in potting soil.

What's the use of that? Well, coffee needs to go through the coffee rather fast to extract the "good" things while leaving in the bitter components (it takes longer to dissolve). That's also the reason why the more expensive coffee machines use pressure to push the water through.

Proud Marine Dad said:
As long as she didn't bring the coffee beans from Vietnam! That crap is nasty! :rofl:

One of the pricier coffees. ;)

Robusta is the worst coffee. I see the Vietnam Robusta every day at work and it's used as a filler in cheap coffees like Maxwell House.

Not entirely sure what they use, I always figured it was "blot brand" cheap beans. Either way, I bloody love the stuff :D

Pfeffer said:
Robusta is not the "cheap" bean. Yes, generally it is cheaper on the global market, but premium robusta is $$$ as well. Arabica is a more vulnerable plant with much less yield, so generally it is more expensive. However, somehow a 100% arabica label these days is used as a "look as the quality we sell" label which they use to excuse their crazy pricing. It's all about the quality beans they use though and what flavor you are hoping to get. Arabica is smooth and robusta is sharp. It's all about the blending with quality beans that does the trick.. (and roasting, grinding, and most important... packaging as coffee oxidates ruining the flavor.. older open bags of quality coffee can still give you a cup of piss poor coffee). Also arabica doesn't really adds a crema layer, which robusta does. Except that robusta also is a harder bean, which keeps the ground coffee open when you poor water through it. The same thing as what perlite does in potting soil.

What's the use of that? Well, coffee needs to go through the coffee rather fast to extract the "good" things while leaving in the bitter components (it takes longer to dissolve). That's also the reason why the more expensive coffee machines use pressure to push the water through.
I was referring to Vietnam Robusta only Pfeffer, sorry. I am not aware of other Robusta beans as all I see are the Vietnam ones and we have a LOT of them. Thousands of bags that weigh 134 lb each as well as hundreds of Super Sacks that have 2,300 lbs. each.

Here is one isle of coffee and we have 15 isles in our warehouse. These are many kinds of coffee not just Robusta. We have Arabica from all over the world.

Haha don't be sorry, I'm always just in to learn - not to mess with people. The funniest thing about that coffee is that a premium (not a premium supermarket brand) brand will use THOSE beans and make a very expensive bag of coffee from it. Do you happen to know the average purchase cost of such a 134lb bag? (cheap and expensive coffee beans). I figure a big bag still goes for quite some $$$, but I'm quite sure there's still quite a large difference with the final retail price (a bit unfair to compare it like that, but just out of curiousity).

Pfeffer said:
Haha don't be sorry, I'm always just in to learn - not to mess with people. The funniest thing about that coffee is that a premium (not a premium supermarket brand) brand will use THOSE beans and make a very expensive bag of coffee from it. Do you happen to know the average purchase cost of such a 134lb bag? (cheap and expensive coffee beans). I figure a big bag still goes for quite some $$$, but I'm quite sure there's still quite a large difference with the final retail price (a bit unfair to compare it like that, but just out of curiousity).
Depends on the coffee but a 152 lb bag of Columbian (my favorite) is about $600. Many coffees are between $2-4 per lb. I think as green beans. We don't own any of this coffee by the way, we are a storage facility and we send samples of coffee and ship the customer's coffee when they need it. Counting all four of our warehouses we have over 500,000 bags like in the photo.

Speaking of pricey coffee, this is one of my favorites from the store and we store much of their coffee as well at our warehouses.
A 12 oz bag at the grocery store of whole bean is about $11. It's very good coffee though.

maj_l_6.png

grantmichaels said:
There's a lot of discussion about a global coffee shortage, too.

I bet it smells nice in there, though ... like heaven!
It smells like dirty burlap my friend. These are green beans, not roasted. ;)

$11 for 12 oz of coffee isn't thát bad. The lavazza is about 17 euro per kilo. That's about 35 oz, and 17 euro is just over $20 so it's in the same price range. My ex-FIL ordered coffee for $150 per 9 oz.. and not just one type, he ordered different delicatessies. I tried that kopi luwak (before I knew it was shit out by a cat) and really didn't like it either. But he also had beans that were digested by birds and elephants, ferments, special beans you name it. Some how I liked the regular premium brands over all the exotic crap. But than again, I don't like wine, liquor and cigars either, must be an acquired taste.

Edit; if you calculate 17 bucks to cup portions it's still only a little per cup.

If you tell me the notes you like in coffee, I can tell you which locations match closely to it ...

Rwandan and Ethiopian and Kenyan coffee is often earthy ... there are always supporting notes, but in my experience you can be pretty sure of what you are getting when one of the words to describe it is a nut ...
Central and South American beans often lead to smooth brews that are aligned w/ what is served HERE at most restaurants/gas stations etc ... it's a less challenging taste profile, but it can be really nice when you get a hold of an example which amplifies it ... there are wonderful instances of coffee from S. America, typically grown at the highest altitudes, and the key to them being awesome is if they are grown under the shade of other trees, often banana ...

I have wonderful Panamanian Geisha (a desirable type of coffee) right now, actually ... it's thick and sappy, syrupy ... and there's always a caramel note, no matter whether it's been processed by pour-over, french press, siphon, or as espresso ...

We like the chocolate coffee types a lot here, for our 2nd round of coffee, after dinner ... If you can get a hold of some of this, which appears to still be available, do so:

http://shop.lacolombe.com/products/ethiopia-werkabauka

It's one of the best coffees I've ever had, and it's the only coffee I've ever restocked 3x times. I buy bags at a time, and freeze all but one ...

The key w/ coffee is to find the place w/ rigorous roasting/shipping service. You want your coffee ASAP after roasting, and it's fine if it's 2-3 days.

In my experience intelligentsia does this better than anyone:
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

They always roast when they say, and they always ship, and it always comes fast ... it's VERY predictable, which is important.

La Columbe has great coffee - Todd Carmichael is on TV (Dangerous Grounds), but he's super cool and I like supporting them ...

My only complaint about ordering from them, is that you can have a delay, because they won't roast until the have enough to send out the whole batch ... so sometimes it comes later than I'd like, but it's always still only been a couple of days since roast - which is the key to quality ...

Crema comes from brewing in close proximity to roasting, FWIW ...

It's possible w/ all of the beans I've ever had, from everywhere ... and I mean everywhere, including from civet's excrement, like you said ...

God I love coffee. I had a nice stiff double latte before I started replying, actually ... you can probably tell, LOL ...

As mentioned before I have a capsule machine with "OK" coffee (They came a long way the past 5 years). Certainly not the best, and probably insulting to this topic. But I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so I'm not investing in a quality machine. I'm afraid I lack the time to do a manual brew in the morning.

Regarding the notes, I'm really unfamiliar with that. If people say earth notes, I don't taste dirt. If people mention citrus, it still doesn't taste like fruit Juice. If I would start mentioning things like that I would just be making stuff up, but this is what the product information of my favorite says (lavazza super crema);

Lavazza Super Crema whole bean espresso roast combines washed and unwashed Arabica and washed Robusta coffee beans that originate from Brazil, Central America, and Indonesia. Super Crema is a perennial favorite with a light-to-medium body, delicious hazelnut aromas, and sweet, fruity notes with just a touch of smokiness.

Imho; It's smooth with a little sharp edge to keep it interesting. No nutella or orange Juice to be found.

I'm familiar with it ... it is what it is ... a good coffee that's not freshly roasted ... believe I ordered some from Amazon in a pinch once ...

I'd sacrifice hygiene to ensure my coffee in the morning ...

Proud Marine Dad said:
Depends on the coffee but a 152 lb bag of Columbian (my favorite) is about $600. Many coffees are between $2-4 per lb. I think as green beans. We don't own any of this coffee by the way, we are a storage facility and we send samples of coffee and ship the customer's coffee when they need it. Counting all four of our warehouses we have over 500,000 bags like in the photo.

Speaking of pricey coffee, this is one of my favorites from the store and we store much of their coffee as well at our warehouses.
A 12 oz bag at the grocery store of whole bean is about $11. It's very good coffee though.

maj_l_6.png

It smells like dirty burlap my friend. These are green beans, not roasted. ;)
I buy my Petes Major Dickensons at Costco for $12.99 for a 2lb bag of beans. Its one of my favorites as well. I have several different ways to make coffee at home from a very good Espresso machine, different Bodum's, an old school pereculator that makes great coffee and a vietnamese coffee maker.

SavinaRed said:
I buy my Petes Major Dickensons at Costco for $12.99 for a 2lb bag of beans. Its one of my favorites as well. I have several different ways to make coffee at home from a very good Espresso machine, different Bodum's, an old school pereculator that makes great coffee and a vietnamese coffee maker.
As do I! :lol:

Back