• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

COLD PRESSED NEEM OIL

Demented said:
I'm in the same climate, and I agreen on cold pressed being superior.

The real question for me, might be how to process cold pressed Neem into a form that resembles the commercially available product that acs1 uses. If we understood how to formulate an emulsification agent that produced a much more homogenous fluid state, there may be some value in that.

solid7 said:

The real question for me, might be how to process cold pressed Neem into a form that resembles the commercially available product that acs1 uses. If we understood how to formulate an emulsification agent that produced a much more homogenous fluid state, there may be some value in that.
Polysorbate 80?

Demented said:
Polysorbate 80?

Seems like Polysorbate 80 is preferred for cosmetics and soaps, whereas Polysorbate 20 is food grade.
Anybody have any additional insight on this?

solid7 said:

Seems like Polysorbate 80 is preferred for cosmetics and soaps, whereas Polysorbate 20 is food grade.
Anybody have any additional insight on this?
Reverse that. It goes by the name Tween 80 as well. 

20 and 80 are a tad different but will both work. I have used 20 with IAA and NAA and it is safe for plants. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Pr0digal_son said:
20 and 80 are a tad different but will both work. I have used 20 with IAA and NAA and it is safe for plants. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Just might be.  I ordered some yucca extract and it arrived today.  Was also going to try that.  I was hesitant to try powder before, but it's super fine stuff.

Why doesn't some large organic chemical pesticide company make a COLD PRESSED NEEM product ready to just mix with water.

Must be some reason there is no Cold Pressed Neem product with all the AzA, surfactants, spreaders, stickers, thickeners,anti-foaming, buffering agents, and compatibility agents, that a well engineered correct ph Cold Pressed Neem needs, to be 100% effective/usable/a homogeneous fluid.

Sprayed my flower garden last night with the normal Dr Boners and Cold pressed. After the spray was done, took the empty sprayer apart for a cleaning. The bottom 8" of the pump tube that extends into the 1 gallon sprayer was covered in a foamy gooey tanish oily mess I do not ever get from the Clarified Neem.
  This shows me even when mixed as good as humanly possible, Dr Boners and Cold Pressed Neem do not form a homogeneous fluid state. But it still works very well, wonder how much better it would be if its was a proper engineered homogeneous solution that acted/sprayed/stuck like clarified neem.

The main reason is it'd be a concentrate, and the emulsifiers will not work as well, if at all. Plus with the shelf life of things, there will ultimately be separation.

I have a solution of dawn soap, semi-water-soluable machine oil, and water that still separates after a few months of no agitation despite the engineering of Mobil and Haas behind it.

I Haven't tried it with neem but it should solve that issue on the pump tube as well.

Demented said:
The main reason is it'd be a concentrate, and the emulsifiers will not work as well, if at all. Plus with the shelf life of things, there will ultimately be separation.

Well, AG Southern Clarified Neem has a well engineered adjutants package and its a strong concentrate, and it never separates in concentrate form that I've seen.

I do shake up the concentrate before measuring it out to mix. Not sure its needed as its a homogeneous solution in looks anyhow. Obliviously the mix needs shaking once water is added. Only mix up whats needed at that time. As you know, once neem is mixed its half life is small so in a few hours its more or less no good so shelf life is not important as half life trumps it.

Not sure how the ready to spray bottles get around the very small neem half life of a couple hours. But from what I've seen, all the premixed ready to spray bottles of clarified neem do not work anywhere close to as well as the concentrates. Most ready to spray neems ime do absolutely nada imo, a soap solution works better.

Back