• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Cold somke in a grill

I do something similar for smoking peppers.  Instead of the charcoal, I just put a cheap solder iron in one of the holes at the bottom of the can to use for the heat source to start the chips smoking.  Works very well also.

Mr. Hill, thanks for the link.  Do you think the classic briquettes would work the same way.

jcw10tc said:
I do something similar for smoking peppers.  Instead of the charcoal, I just put a cheap solder iron in one of the holes at the bottom of the can to use for the heat source to start the chips smoking.  Works very well also.

jcw10tc, once the chips start smoking, do you unplug the iron?  

jimbo53 said:
Mr. Hill, thanks for the link.  Do you think the classic briquettes would work the same way.

jcw10tc, once the chips start smoking, do you unplug the iron?  

No, I leave the iron on for most of the time.   Don't unplug until its pretty much done.  Usually get around 2 hours of smoke out of a 28oz can full of chips.  My favortie batch from last year was one of the last ones where I decided to try a little heaver smoke so did one can of hickory, then refilled with pecan and did again.  The smoke flavor is awesome on that one and vary strong. Will probably do more like that next year and might even try a 6 or 8 hour just to see how it turns out.  I know a solder iron is not made to be used like that, but surprisingly I used one cheap generic $4 solder iron all last fall.  Probably made at least 15+ batches of peppers and it was still working.  I planned on it failing much sooner, but so far so good.

jcw10tc said:

No, I leave the iron on for most of the time.   Don't unplug until its pretty much done.  Usually get around 2 hours of smoke out of a 28oz can full of chips.  My favortie batch from last year was one of the last ones where I decided to try a little heaver smoke so did one can of hickory, then refilled with pecan and did again.  The smoke flavor is awesome on that one and vary strong. Will probably do more like that next year and might even try a 6 or 8 hour just to see how it turns out.  I know a solder iron is not made to be used like that, but surprisingly I used one cheap generic $4 solder iron all last fall.  Probably made at least 15+ batches of peppers and it was still working.  I planned on it failing much sooner, but so far so good.

jcw10tc, thanks for the info; sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight for a el cheapo solder iron is in order.

jimbo53 said:

jcw10tc, thanks for the info; sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight for a el cheapo solder iron is in order.
Yep,  mine was a generic one from Menards for 3.99.  Still works fine.  Here is a picture so you can see.  Its pretty simple.  Storage tote with hole in one end at the bottom to put the cord through.  Once iron is in I just shove a paper towel around the cord to keep smoke from leaking out.  Then the can with hole drilled in side near the bottom to put the iron in and punched some holes in the top.  THen a wire rack to place aluminum grill trays full of peppers on.  Also put some ceramic tile under the can.  Can will get pretty warm so need something there or it will melt through the tote.

P20140901-095855-3659795624-235259_zps5c1c8696.jpg

jcw10tc said:
Yep,  mine was a generic one from Menards for 3.99.  Still works fine.  Here is a picture so you can see.  Its pretty simple.  Storage tote with hole in one end at the bottom to put the cord through.  Once iron is in I just shove a paper towel around the cord to keep smoke from leaking out.  Then the can with hole drilled in side near the bottom to put the iron in and punched some holes in the top.  THen a wire rack to place aluminum grill trays full of peppers on.  Also put some ceramic tile under the can.  Can will get pretty warm so need something there or it will melt through the tote.

Love the setup, you should make a YouTube video.  That is really a neat looking process. Perfect to cold smoke some cheese to stuff in fresh peppers.

Scoville DeVille said:
Why would you cold smoke Cornish Game hens? Cold smoking is for preserving food like jerky. It's a method of drying out the meat without cooking it. Never going above 140°F. Fish and Beef is all I would ever cold smoke. And cheese. Yeah cheese!
With cold smoking the smoke penetrates the meet deeper giving all the meat a smoky taste when it's cooked.  

Scoville DeVille said:
Why would you cold smoke Cornish Game hens? Cold smoking is for preserving food like jerky. It's a method of drying out the meat without cooking it. Never going above 140°F. Fish and Beef is all I would ever cold smoke. And cheese. Yeah cheese!
I'm with scovie but add cured hams,bacon, to that list!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)
015-4-2.jpg

Back