• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Elpicante said:
Shasta any need successful in finding quiriquiña. It the original herb in llajugua salsa. Culantro is a good sub but I'm a purest and want to if I can grow it here in AZ. The climate is almost the same well except for when you go to the jungle . Spend some time overt there as a Marine the food was exquisite.

This one? Porophyllum ruderale
Porophyllum ruderale is known by many names, including Bolivian coriander, quillquiña (also spelled quirquiña or quilquiña), yerba porosa, killi, pápalo, tepegua, "mampuritu" and pápaloquelite. Despite the name "Bolivian coriander", this plant is not botanically related to Coriandrum sativum.
This plant is known in Mexico as pápaloquelite, commonly accompanying the famous Mexican tacos. Not all Mexicans enjoy its taste, but some find that it improves the flavor of tacos and typical Mexican salsas and soups.
In Puebla cuisine, pápalo is used as a condiment on traditional cemita sandwiches, a regional type of Mexican torta.
Papalo was used in the Azteca era

https://www.amazon.com/Porophyllum-ruderale-Papaloquelite-Bolivian-Coriander-Organic/dp/B078VN2R5Y

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/herbs/papalo/

http://www.southernexposure.com/papalo-papaloquelite-020-g-p-1668.html

http://www.reimerseeds.com/papalo.aspx

I got the original plant from one of my Bolivian employees mom. The seeds are very distinct, they almost remind me of a dandelion seed. They are suuuper tiny, grow out of a pod, and have a long "hair" attached to them. The seeds don't stay good for very long, though. Once this plant starts flowering, I will save some seed pods to share with whoever might be interested on THP. The plant gets absolutely massive, though, so clear some space.

Cracking Chupe and Rocoto relleno/Pastel de papas TGCM.... both look so good....

Those fresh rocotos look deadset amazing.... and a good size too....

Can you get caigua where you are?.... ive looked all over here with no success.... ive only had it a couple of times but i truely miss a big dish of caigua rellena......

Tinnie said:
Cracking Chupe and Rocoto relleno/Pastel de papas TGCM.... both look so good....

Those fresh rocotos look deadset amazing.... and a good size too....

Can you get caigua where you are?.... ive looked all over here with no success.... ive only had it a couple of times but i truely miss a big dish of caigua rellena......
Thanks man! No, I can't get caigua here, unfortunately. I tried growing it a few years back, but squash vine borers killed my vines, before I could get any ripe caigua

I still have caigua seeds though, so maybe I'll give it another shot next season. It is a major PITA growing squash/gourds here in NOVA. The squash bugs and vine borers are constantly attacking. Since I grow only organically, pesticide for squash bugs, or systemic pesticide for vine borers is out of the question. I've talked to many organic home gardeners in my area, and they all have the exact same issues with squash/gourds/zucchini, etc.

Great looking soup, BTW! Cow patas are very common here, due to the high amount of hispanics and asians. They do make great broth. I use them to make menudo broth, I also use them along with ox tail to make broth for pho.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks man! No, I can't get caigua here, unfortunately. I tried growing it a few years back, but squash vine borers killed my vines, before I could get any ripe caigua

I still have caigua seeds though, so maybe I'll give it another shot next season. It is a major PITA growing squash/gourds here in NOVA. The squash bugs and vine borers are constantly attacking. Since I grow only organically, pesticide for squash bugs, or systemic pesticide for vine borers is out of the question. I've talked to many organic home gardeners in my area, and they all have the exact same issues with squash/gourds/zucchini, etc.

Great looking soup, BTW! Cow patas are very common here, due to the high amount of hispanics and asians. They do make great broth. I use them to make menudo broth, I also use them along with ox tail to make broth for pho.
Thats unfortunate mate. I hope you have better luck if you try again. They may not look much, but its one of those veges i could probably eat every day given the opportunity.

Next time i buy some patas i might just hit you up for some tips.... and possibly your pho recipe if you are feeling generous

Arroz Chaufa con Pato

I basted the duck continuously as it roasted with a mixture of aji panca, honey, double black soy sauce, and black vinegar. I separated the fat from the drippings, and discarded it, turning the drippings into a delicious sauce to dunk the pieces of duck meat in.

Attachments

• 20180925_214624.jpg
    20180925_214624.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180925_215408.jpg
    20180925_215408.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180925_215322.jpg
    20180925_215322.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 68
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Arroz Chaufa con Pato

I basted the duck continuously as it roasted with a mixture of aji panca, honey, double black soy sauce, and black vinegar. I separated the fat from the drippings, and discarded it, turning the drippings into a delicious sauce to dunk the pieces of duck meat in.
That duck looks awesome man! I love crispy duck skin.

Cóctel de Pulpo

This is one of my favorite things to make right here. Sooooo refreshing!

I essentially make Peruvian style octopus ceviche, half fill a cup with the ceviche. Dice up half of an avocado, add that to the cup, add a spritz of lager, and top it off with clamato. Mix everything together and eat with a spoon out of the cup. Drink the remaining juice too, of course. It's a good blend of traditional Peruvian ceviche, and a Mexican mariscos cocktail.

Attachments

• 20181009_143011.jpg
    20181009_143011.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181009_135818.jpg
    20181009_135818.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181009_141616.jpg
    20181009_141616.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20181009_143056.jpg
    20181009_143056.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 60
Patasca.

A traditional Andean soup. It has been cooked for generations to warm the body up, and nourish it, when the temperature drops.

Lamb shanks, beef neck, and beef feet slowly simmered for 4 hours for the milky broth. Pressure cooked beef tripe is added once the broth is ready, to absorb the flavors of the broth, and be extra tender.

Diced culantro and yerba buena are thrown into the bowl as the soup is served.

I served this bowl extra shallow, to exhibit the solid igredients, but it is typically served completely submerged in the delicious broth.

Attachments

• 20181014_193719.jpg
    20181014_193719.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20181014_193737.jpg
    20181014_193737.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 64
Im thinking about Arroz Con Pollo with a slight twist to it.

A little oyster sauce and panca paste cooked with the rice. Diced skinless boneless thighs, chopped carrots and peas. Probably a little frozen corn also. Cook the diced chicken in a sofrito. Add the rice and chicken stock. Bring it to a boil for a couple minutes and finish in the oven at around 200F. Add the peas and carrots near the end so they dont end up as mush.

A tiny bit of diced ham and/or shrimp sounds good in it too?

Back