• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense comparing fresh pods of Butch T and Moruga Scorpions

I'm sure Ronnie has some good input on this subject, but I would throw this out to everyone. Right now, the world record holder for the hostest pepper is the Trinidad Butch T Scorpion pepper, so there are going to be plenty of people who will want them, just for that reason. However, to me, I think the Moruga Scorpion pepper is a much better pepper in more than one way. I think the heat is more consistant and strong, on average.
But, I am writing this mainly to talk about how they hold up after picking. I am noticing that Butch Ts seem to go bad much quicker than Morugas. From my observations so far, it looks like Morugas would be a better fresh pepper product to sell because they seem to hold up much longer and can be transported easier just because they have a longer time frame before they start rotting. They also seem to be a bit thicker and might hold up better when piled on top of each other.
Anyway, has anyone else seen the same thing I am talking about?

I dont know anything about it, but think some comparison pictures with the two peppers cut open would be a really good idea :P

It's extremely hot here, so can't really say ANY pepper lasts here long when not refrigerated. if I leave a pepper on the counter for a couple of days I might find it dried. :lol:
Anyhow, my ButchT's seem to last just as long as every other chile. I find that because my main problem is heat, the larger the chile, the longer it lasts. also, every bite of every Butch T seem as much hell as the other.

What about production rate or vigor of the variety? That could play a factor in going commercial? I am growing both butch T and morouga blend, both from TheHippySeedCo. I would say I have very good germination rate and also vigor for the Butch T. But that is from my personal limited experience. Others may have different view.

Mark T

My BT scorpions never last long in the orange/red stage before getting soft. I've never grown the Morouga scorpions but I'm sure if they're thicker they'd keep longer. Bt's are the hottest I've ever eaten but certainly not my favorite for flavor

Back