• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2012 Grow Log - New Video Update

So I just finalized my grow list for 2012, aka my first attempt at growing peppers. I'm starting out relatively small for my first time, although it has been tough trying to narrow them down thanks to Jamie (romy6) and his extreme generosity. But at any rate here is what I plan to grow:

Red Bhut Jolokia - 1
7 Pot Jonah - 1
Naga Morich - 2
Brain Strain - 2
TS Butch T - 2
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - 1
Yellow Fatalii - 1

So that's a total of 10 plants and 7 varieties. I'll be starting at the first of the year.

Wish me luck!

Edit: Hehe, I just posted this and I'm already changing it up. I decided that since I'm growing 2 naga morich, they are supposed to be similar to bhuts so I dropped 1 red bhut and added 1 7 pot jonah

Looking very nice Brian. Now it's time to start getting those guys acclimated to Mr Sun. :cool:

Thanks Jamie. I'm torn right now on whether to start the hardening process for them or not. The weather is certainly great, but I'm not 100% confident that it will stay that way. I'm kind of in the mindset to wait until mid April still.

I know its a sick feeling,the first one will be tough after that one the rest are easy.
I think I just died a little inside. I pinched off 6 buds. And I still count 4 more now that are just starting but are too small for me to attempt to cut.

I feel your pain! Your plants are all looking really nice and
healthy. The pot-ups look very vigorous. Good luck going
into spring/summer!

Time for the weekly update. Not much new here. Plants are all happy and healthy. Smaller ones are growing a lot better. The Bells and Bananas are getting really tall now. It's amazing how much faster the annuums grow than the chinenses. The big 7 pot jonah has now overtaken the bhut jolokia in height. It too is starting to put out buds. I've pinched 3 so far.

Pics:
Bhu jolokia
P1090543.JPG

7 pot jonah:
P1090544.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T:
P1090545.JPG

Yellow 7 Pot:
P1090546.JPG

The rest of the guys, notice how much taller the bells and bananas are than the rest (in the back):
P1090547.JPG

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention that I'm growing a morning glory (front right in the pic above) for my oldest daughter. Her Sunday school teacher at Church had the kids plant a seed in a styrofoam cup. I took it out of the cup because it was in some horrible potting mix. I recently looked up how big they get and was stunned that they can grow from 15 - 20 feet during a single growing season. Now I'm trying to figure out where the heck we're going to put that thing. I'm wishing I left it in the styrofoam cup and never put it in the grow box. Then it could have "accidentally" died. :scared:

Edit 2: Also, you'll notice a brand new seedling in the front too. That's another bell. My mother wants a bell plant, so I decided I'd grow another one for her.

Plants are looking superb Brian. :cool:

I know how you feel about the little ones bringing home sickly plants from school. We can't see letting them die. It's in our blood.
My boy brought a few snow peas plants home and I did the same thing. That was 6 months ago and they are still growing and geting all the same lovely ferts my peppers get.

Jamie

Plants are looking great! That Bhut looks like three plants crammed in side by side - nice and bushy. Well done. I actually enjoy morning glories and I'm not much of a flower guy. They will vine all over the place so put it near a fence it can climb, or I've seen them grow up and around mail boxes - that sort of thing. They'll put out a bunch of flowers, and then a lot of times they'll put down seeds and you'll get some next year as well. When my wife and I lived near Lexington we were also able to grow moonflowers, which were awesome. I just can't get them to work up in Michigan, I think the season is too short or I've just had bad luck.

Plants are looking superb Brian. :cool:

I know how you feel about the little ones bringing home sickly plants from school. We can't see letting them die. It's in our blood.
My boy brought a few snow peas plants home and I did the same thing. That was 6 months ago and they are still growing and geting all the same lovely ferts my peppers get.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I agree. She was very proud to hand that cup to me and tell me that she was going to grow a flower. When she did that, there was zero chance that I would let that thing die. It would absolutely crush her.

Plants are looking great! That Bhut looks like three plants crammed in side by side - nice and bushy. Well done. I actually enjoy morning glories and I'm not much of a flower guy. They will vine all over the place so put it near a fence it can climb, or I've seen them grow up and around mail boxes - that sort of thing. They'll put out a bunch of flowers, and then a lot of times they'll put down seeds and you'll get some next year as well. When my wife and I lived near Lexington we were also able to grow moonflowers, which were awesome. I just can't get them to work up in Michigan, I think the season is too short or I've just had bad luck.

The bhut is definitely bushy. After the cat attack I pruned it and put in in good soil. All of the sites that I pruned exploded with outward growth and now it has three fairly long branches from each of the lower sites that got pruned. People don't lie when they say that the plant will explode with growth if you prune it. Although I'm now wanting it to grow up instead of out so that it can support more pods. I guess when I move it outside that it will do that, hopefully.

So, I have a 6 foot privacy fence in the backyard. If I plant the morning glory along the fence will it only grow as tall as the fence or will it grow higher? If it will only go as high as the fence then I'll probably do it there. I just don't want a huge vine growing over my fence into my neighbor's yard.

The privacy fence should work nicely - make sure there's something to wrap around - it's basically a vine. If you have a trellis or something, it'll love that. It may go above 6 feet, but just have it grow out horizontally, you'll be able to control it reasonably well. Depending on how exactly your privacy fence is, you may have to watch it going through the fence to the other side if there are any decent sized gaps. If it's in a spot that works, I bet you'll have them again next year.

The privacy fence should work nicely - make sure there's something to wrap around - it's basically a vine. If you have a trellis or something, it'll love that. It may go above 6 feet, but just have it grow out horizontally, you'll be able to control it reasonably well. Depending on how exactly your privacy fence is, you may have to watch it going through the fence to the other side if there are any decent sized gaps. If it's in a spot that works, I bet you'll have them again next year.

Awesome. Thanks!

Seeing as how we are both in Lexington, maybe we will have to trade some pods later in the season? Have you started putting your plants out at all during the day in this nice weather we are having?

Seeing as how we are both in Lexington, maybe we will have to trade some pods later in the season? Have you started putting your plants out at all during the day in this nice weather we are having?

Trading pods sounds like a great idea. I have not put them out yet. I'm thinking that I will start to put the the more established plants out starting next week.

Good times! Starting the hardening process for my 4 biggest plants this week. Once they are fully hardened, I'll have room in my grow box to pot up the rest of my plants to 1 gallon pouches. Thinking it might be time to also pot up the Bhut Jolokia and the Jonah to 5 gallons after the hardening process. They keep budding like crazy and I'm not even feeding them anything. So I think the roots are filling up the pouches.

P1090559.JPG

Looking good! I got one more batch almost done cooking that will go out next weekend. Those roots move pretty quick! I potted my 3 1/2's up to 6" and within 2 weeks they had filled up the containers! Your plants look about perfect right now! When is your plant out?

Looking good! I got one more batch almost done cooking that will go out next weekend. Those roots move pretty quick! I potted my 3 1/2's up to 6" and within 2 weeks they had filled up the containers! Your plants look about perfect right now! When is your plant out?

Keeping them in containers except for a couple of Bells and a Banana. So for the four shown above, I hope to have them out 24/7 by end of week/early next week. Then once I get the remaining a little larger, I will harden them as well. But for the ones I'm putting in soil, I hope to have them planted by mid-end of this month.

I've been putting all of mine out during the day but bringing them in at night. Hopefully we'll get lucky and the weather will stay this way from here on out. And, the Wildcats bring home #8 tonight!!!

I've been putting all of mine out during the day but bringing them in at night. Hopefully we'll get lucky and the weather will stay this way from here on out. And, the Wildcats bring home #8 tonight!!!

Yeah hoping for the same with the weather as well. Go Big Blue!!

Small update. The 4 plants I'm hardening off are doing well. The bhut jolokia wilts like crazy but as soon as it is brought out of direct sun, it perks up nicely. I had them in direct sun for 4 hours today and they seem well. They are sitting in the shade now.

I potted up 4 more plants too. 2 naga morich, 1 fatalii, and 1 7 pot jonah.

Pics:
The 4 new pot ups
P1090560.JPG

The Bells and Bananas:
P1090561.JPG

Back