• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2012 Grow Log - New Video Update

So I just finalized my grow list for 2012, aka my first attempt at growing peppers. I'm starting out relatively small for my first time, although it has been tough trying to narrow them down thanks to Jamie (romy6) and his extreme generosity. But at any rate here is what I plan to grow:

Red Bhut Jolokia - 1
7 Pot Jonah - 1
Naga Morich - 2
Brain Strain - 2
TS Butch T - 2
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - 1
Yellow Fatalii - 1

So that's a total of 10 plants and 7 varieties. I'll be starting at the first of the year.

Wish me luck!

Edit: Hehe, I just posted this and I'm already changing it up. I decided that since I'm growing 2 naga morich, they are supposed to be similar to bhuts so I dropped 1 red bhut and added 1 7 pot jonah

Looking good my friend! I think your Bhut should pull through! Happy Frog from what I hear is good stuff! I was going to try some this yr but got some Fox Farms instead! You should be pleased with the Happy Frog! Thanks for the pics update btw!

Yeah it cost more than I wanted to pay, but I guess being a cheapskate is what got me in the mess in the first place. I will probably get Roots Organics when I have to pot up to the 5 gallons down the road since it cost about 10 dollars cheaper than the Happy Frog and is supposed to be just as good, if not better.

Do ya have a small fan blowing? It will help...

I do have an oscillating fan set at medium blowing from about 3.5 - 4 feet away.

Looks like the Happy Frog is working out so far. Getting lots of new growth now from the Bhut Jolokia (sorry for the crappy camera phone pic). Look at the bottom of the plant for the new growth.

Photo0069.jpg

The new growth on the bhut looks very promising!
I bet it will really take off!

Time for an update.

The bhut jolokia is really bouncing back now. The new growth keeps coming and is a nice deep green color:
P1090439.JPG

The 7 Pot Jonah is really liking the Happy Frog too. Much bushier and greener than it was when it first went in its new home 12 days ago:
P1090440.JPG

Potted up a Butch T a few days ago. I hope it likes the new home like the other two do:
P1090441.JPG

Now for the rest of them. Not too happy with their performance. Thinking the MG seed starting mix they are in isn't working out well. I may pot up some of the larger ones, even though they are still smallish, just to get them to grow and lose that yellow tint to their leaves. I'm confident I'm not overwatering. I think they are lacking nutes. So this week, I'm starting to feed them every other watering.

P1090442.JPG

P1090443.JPG

I've also started some Bell and Sweet Banana peppers:
P1090444.JPG

Lastly, I'm going to do a little experiment. I'm germinating some more naga morich seeds. This time, when they go into soil, it will be the Happy Frog. I'm interested to see if they overtake the ones that are in the MG. Because man, the naga morich's and the fatalii are just crawling when it comes to growth.

Looking great man! I really love the bounce back threads...I like the ones with all the freakishly great looking plants for motivation, but the "they sprouted perfect, have grown perfect and look perfect" glogs don't teach me as much as the threads with some nice before and after results. Great job on the comeback so far brother!

Keep the pics flowing!
Shane

I ordered some dyna-gro this morning and it should be in early next week. Gonna use that instead of the MG tomato fertilizer i bought previously. I've used th MG a couple of times in low concentration but I dont think it is working that well for me. I think it is still burning them a bit. I'm seeing some browning at the tips of a few leaves.

Edit: I should add that this is for the plants that arent potted up yet. The potted up plants are getting great nutrition from the Happy Frog soil. The Butch T that I potted up on Sunday is growing and greening up nicely.

How's this for a turnaround. It's been 3 weeks since I repotted the bhut jolokia in the Happy Frog. This plant was badly damaged and was dropping leaves like crazy. Well 3 weeks later I am now seeing 7 buds appearing on it. Here is a shot of the top, you can't see all 7 in it, but trust me they are there. This is all happening with only 1600 lumens/ft[sup]2 [/sup]and 5000K lights. I cannot say enough good things about Happy Frog. I'm convinced that it is the sole difference maker. I think I will, from now on, only buy Happy Frog. Don't think I'm going to even bother trying out the Roots Organics.

P1090463.JPG

Edit: And as much as it will pain me, I'm pretty sure that I'll be pinching the buds soon. With the plant only being 6 inches tall, I don't think it's ready to be growing pods yet. I want it to grow much bigger to be able to support a ton more.

I think I just died a little inside. I pinched off 6 buds. And I still count 4 more now that are just starting but are too small for me to attempt to cut.

Ah but well done pinching them off. I had to pinch a few of my plants and on the first go round i could only bring myself to pinch half of them :) Now it doesnt seem so brutal.

Ah but well done pinching them off. I had to pinch a few of my plants and on the first go round i could only bring myself to pinch half of them :) Now it doesnt seem so brutal.

Thanks. Yeah it felt so awful doing it. But I know it needs to grow a lot more. I want it to be able to hold a bunch of pods.

Time for an update. The smaller plants are really doing well now since I started the feeding program with them. The Dyna Gro is great stuff and they seem to really like it. Still not feeding the larger plants in the 1 gallon root pouches as they seem to be growing great without it. Here's some pics:

Bhut Jolokia Top:
P1090506.JPG

Bhut Jolokia Side:
P1090508.JPG

7 Pot Jonah Top:
P1090505.JPG

7 Pot Jonah Side:
P1090509.JPG

Butch T Top:
P1090504.JPG

Butch T Side:
P1090510.JPG

Yellow 7 Pot Top:
P1090503.JPG

Yellow 7 Pot Side:
P1090511.JPG

The Rest of the Guys top view (from left to right, Back row: Banana, Naga Morich, Naga Morich. Middle Row: Bell, Fatalii, 7 Pot Jonah. Front Row: Banana, Butch T, Butch T, Bell):
P1090512.JPG

The rest of the guys side:
P1090513.JPG

Back