• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

Malarky said:
Congrats! after your and AZ1000's positive review of Aji Oro, its going on my 2017 list.
Thank you!

Haha, as it should be, it has been a great pepper. Takes a while to grow, this plant is actually overwintered, I started it in July last year, and kept it alive, so it has taken a while to set fruit, but it's been worth it. Let me know if you need seeds, mine are OP, but I understand that rocotos don't cross easily, and I've only had fructescence next to them. 

Awesome glog. Im thinking I'll probably copy your grow list, I feel the same way about superhots. Last couple years I've grown them with not much success, whereas my less hot peppers thrive! Plus, I'm not THAT much of a masochist  :rofl: that I want to be putting a hot coal on my tongue every time I pick a pepper out the garden to spice up a meal. 

az1000 said:
Nice review! Aji Oro is definitely a good one.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Great review!

Devv said:
I enjoyed that you have both ripe pods and a nice review.

Keep it green!

Thank you for your kind words. 

peppamang said:
Awesome glog. Im thinking I'll probably copy your grow list, I feel the same way about superhots. Last couple years I've grown them with not much success, whereas my less hot peppers thrive! Plus, I'm not THAT much of a masochist  :rofl: that I want to be putting a hot coal on my tongue every time I pick a pepper out the garden to spice up a meal. 

I think that with super hots you need to build up tolerance over the years. I haven't been eating spicy food for that long, it wasn't many years ago that I thought black pepper was spicy. I've enjoyed having varying degrees of heat this year, from sweet up to habanero level. This way I've also been able to give away a lot of my produce to friends which is nice.  I'm very pleased with my list this year. I'm already starting to draft next year's grow list xD

Great looking grow!
I've got a couple aji pineapples as well and they're my favorite so far. It's hard to not eat one right off the plant when checking on them in the mornings.

Photos! I love taking photos of my peppers, I'm sure you guys feel the same. 

We had some really nasty winds two days ago, quite a few pots fell over, but mum's flowers seem to have cushioned the fall a bit. One fruit fell off, a non fruit bearing branch and a lot of the support sticks actually snapped off, luckily no stems did. In the end I watered the plants really lots to make the pots more bottom heavy, and that seems to have done the trick. 

Group shop of the outside peppers. 

This rocoto has become super wide! I've tied the stems to a stick to help keep them off the ground, there are quite a few fruit hiding in there. I keep forgetting the variety, could be Rio Huallaga. 

This Charapita has an ENORMOUS crown. I'm touching the plant in the picture, and it's just huge. REALLY compact thing. I have to try hard to find anything in the canopy. It recently started exploding with flowers. I reckon I'll have quite a few fruits before the end of the season, still got at least a month and a half to go. 

My Mulato Isleno, the bottom one is as big as a bell pepper now. It did suffer some bruising from falling down. I'm hoping it pulls through because I'm really looking forward to trying these. 

This is what I believe to be Tabasco, it has really beautiful purple fruit. They are actually darker than what came out on the picture. 

It's hard to snap pictures of your peppers when the tomatoes are in the way. This however is my chupentinho, and I spotted two fruits finally turning colour.

Habanero Manzano loaded! The fruit are a little on the small side I feel. 

The 3 litre air pots finally starting to produce fruit, they've been a little slow. This is Bonda ma Jacques I believe.

White bullet hab quite loaded too!

One of the Beni Highland runts is maturing already. 

That's it for pictures today. I've had 5-6 Aji Oro ripen up now, I've given a few away, eaten some myself. I'm hoping to get more soon, because that rocoto jelly sounds really good. 

I've harvested a few omnicolours, aji lemon/pineapples, cayennes, lots of zimbabwe bird and prik kee no suans. I just never have them all with me at the same time, it's more of "Oh, I'll just pinch these two off now" as I'm doing rounds, and some I'm drying, some I'm putting the fridge, cooking with some, and giving quite a few away.

Whoopa !!! All yor plants looks strong and healthy. Of course one plant which I saw on your photos has holey leaves Bonda ma jacques i think. It caused an attack of caterpillars. I had same problem with catterpilar on my Baccatum plant.

Habanero Manzano is what ? It is cross between Haba and Rocoto ? Really ?? :fireball:

lobo said:
Whoopa !!! All yor plants looks strong and healthy. Of course one plant which I saw on your photos has holey leaves Bonda ma jacques i think. It caused an attack of caterpillars. I had same problem with catterpilar on my Baccatum plant.

Habanero Manzano is what ? It is cross between Haba and Rocoto ? Really ?? :fireball:

Cheers! Quite a few of the plants in the greenhouse have holes, it's actually slugs, I've had quite a problem with them all summer. I've been throwing in slug pellets and cutting them in half. They just keep coming back. 

It's supposedly a cross, the seeds were white though, and it looks a lot like a normal habanero. We'll see how it comes out. I have about 35-40 fruits that I was able to count on the plant, so that's quite a victory for me. 

Ahhh slugs are holly evil really. A see in your pictures you used chemical power against slugs ( blue pils ) it is certainty. But if you want go by little humane way you can try use beer. Just chop the plastic bottle and fill it by beer. Bottle with beer dig in to the soil near by container with plants. Slugs loves beer and they die by alcohol death :-D   :drunk: :beer:  :flamethrower:  

Regarding your cross I want to congratulate you because as I know The Pubescence is very strong to crossed with anything. Great Job !!!

lobo said:
Ahhh slugs are holly evil really. A see in your pictures you used chemical power against slugs ( blue pils ) it is certainty. But if you want go by little humane way you can try use beer. Just chop the plastic bottle and fill it by beer. Bottle with beer dig in to the soil near by container with plants. Slugs loves beer and they die by alcohol death :-D   :drunk: :beer:  :flamethrower:  

Regarding your cross I want to congratulate you because as I know The Pubescence is very strong to crossed with anything. Great Job !!!

Yeah, those blue things are slug pellets. Slugs eat them and then just crawl away to die. 

I can't take credit for the cross, I think it's been around a few years by now. I think the Mexicans crossed it at some point? 

Comptine said:

Yeah, those blue things are slug pellets. Slugs eat them and then just crawl away to die. 

I can't take credit for the cross, I think it's been around a few years by now. I think the Mexicans crossed it at some point? 
Aaah Ok now It is clear for me. ;)

Easy way to control snails and slugs if you grow in pots. Spread some rock salt or just table salt around the pots on the ground.

Keep it green :party:

Truly excellent results Alana! Nice review of the Aji Oro/Pineapple/lemon pods. My Aji Pineapple pods have yet to ripen, but you've got me really looking forward to them! The Aji Oro also sounds like a good choice for fruity flavor. I love jams made with chiles and peaches. Our local crop got wiped out by extreme weather this past February, but no problem since I still have about a case of pint jars left over from last year.  What fruits are your favorites for making jams and jellies with chiles?

Keep up the great work!

ps... diatomaceous earth poured out on the ground around your plants is proof against slugs. It's the silicaceous shells of diatoms... fresh water dwelling beasties, so it's completely non-toxic. Snails and Slugs that try to move across it get cut up and bleed out. It doesn't work if it gets wet though... slugs just ski across it then. You'd have to wait for the ground to dry and add more. It's really cheap though. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

Devv said:
Easy way to control snails and slugs if you grow in pots. Spread some rock salt or just table salt around the pots on the ground.

Keep it green :party:

I've heard of people putting salt on slugs they find, but would table salt not wash away or dissolve every time you water your plants? I tend to water the greenhouse ones everyday, or close enough. 

stickman said:
Truly excellent results Alana! Nice review of the Aji Oro/Pineapple/lemon pods. My Aji Pineapple pods have yet to ripen, but you've got me really looking forward to them! The Aji Oro also sounds like a good choice for fruity flavor. I love jams made with chiles and peaches. Our local crop got wiped out by extreme weather this past February, but no problem since I still have about a case of pint jars left over from last year.  What fruits are your favorites for making jams and jellies with chiles?

Keep up the great work!

ps... diatomaceous earth poured out on the ground around your plants is proof against slugs. It's the silicaceous shells of diatoms... fresh water dwelling beasties, so it's completely non-toxic. Snails and Slugs that try to move across it get cut up and bleed out. It doesn't work if it gets wet though... slugs just ski across it then. You'd have to wait for the ground to dry and add more. It's really cheap though. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

I'm glad you enjoyed the review! It seems to be an old discussion whether the lemon/pineapple are the same pepper. They look very similar, so I understand why you would think so. Even with my limited palett I did pick up on subtle differences between them. Let me know if you fancy any Aji Oro seeds, I made sure to save some, they are currently still drying. I doubt they are cross pollinated, I think this particular variety bloomed before anything else did. 

Anything thick fleshed should work for jams and jellies, jalapeños make an excellent base. They normally have a decent flavour, but now I'm looking forward to trying a batch with the Aji Oro. In the latest batch I added in a few spicier peppers, because the sugar completely covers the spicy bits of the jalapeño, even my neighbours' two year old was eating the first batch I tried with only jalapeños. So definitely add in a hab or something stronger to give it a bit or fire. I tried doing a jalapeño/strawberry jam last year, whilst appreciated by the recipients they said the mango one was better. I think that's the limit of my experiments. I've heard pineapple goes well with peppers but I personally hate pineapple, so I can't say. Peaches sound like an excellent companion to peppers. We've got super sweet and juicy yellow plums beginning to mature, maybe I'll give that combo a try.

I've heard about DE, I thought you had to have an exoskeleton for that to work, so most ants, and gnats and bugs. didn't realise it worked on snails. And it's actually not that easy to get hold of in Sweden, oddly enough.

But they crawl up the pots, so perhaps a barrier around the pots. I guess it depends on how you water. You really don't want to add salt to the pots ;)  If you don't flood the area the pots are in you should be good. DE, if you want to find it, look at a pool supply house. I use it in my pool filtration system (DE filter). It's just ground up Diatoms.

Comptine said:

I've heard of people putting salt on slugs they find, but would table salt not wash away or dissolve every time you water your plants? I tend to water the greenhouse ones everyday, or close enough. 

I'm glad you enjoyed the review! It seems to be an old discussion whether the lemon/pineapple are the same pepper. They look very similar, so I understand why you would think so. Even with my limited palett I did pick up on subtle differences between them. Let me know if you fancy any Aji Oro seeds, I made sure to save some, they are currently still drying. I doubt they are cross pollinated, I think this particular variety bloomed before anything else did. 

Anything thick fleshed should work for jams and jellies, jalapeños make an excellent base. They normally have a decent flavour, but now I'm looking forward to trying a batch with the Aji Oro. In the latest batch I added in a few spicier peppers, because the sugar completely covers the spicy bits of the jalapeño, even my neighbours' two year old was eating the first batch I tried with only jalapeños. So definitely add in a hab or something stronger to give it a bit or fire. I tried doing a jalapeño/strawberry jam last year, whilst appreciated by the recipients they said the mango one was better. I think that's the limit of my experiments. I've heard pineapple goes well with peppers but I personally hate pineapple, so I can't say. Peaches sound like an excellent companion to peppers. We've got super sweet and juicy yellow plums beginning to mature, maybe I'll give that combo a try.

I've heard about DE, I thought you had to have an exoskeleton for that to work, so most ants, and gnats and bugs. didn't realise it worked on snails. And it's actually not that easy to get hold of in Sweden, oddly enough.

Yup... Mango works better with chiles than Strawberries, though I did make a very good hot sauce with Cherry-wood smoked Chocolate Habaneros and Douglahs, Onion, Tomato, Carrot, Blueberries and a touch of Maple syrup to iron out the rough places. Plum jam with chiles sounds like a good Match!

Breweries also use a lot of DE for filtration, so that may be another place to ask. That would be food-grade though, and may be a bit more expensive than what's used in pool filters.

If you'd like to do a seed swap at the end of the season, I'm up for it! You seemed interested in Gochus... would that work for you?

Devv said:
But they crawl up the pots, so perhaps a barrier around the pots. I guess it depends on how you water. You really don't want to add salt to the pots ;)  If you don't flood the area the pots are in you should be good. DE, if you want to find it, look at a pool supply house. I use it in my pool filtration system (DE filter). It's just ground up Diatoms.

I normally go around with the garden hose and shower the pots, so it really does get everywhere. Swedes actually use sand for pool filters, I learnt this yesterday. 

stickman said:

Yup... Mango works better with chiles than Strawberries, though I did make a very good hot sauce with Cherry-wood smoked Chocolate Habaneros and Douglahs, Onion, Tomato, Carrot, Blueberries and a touch of Maple syrup to iron out the rough places. Plum jam with chiles sounds like a good Match!

Breweries also use a lot of DE for filtration, so that may be another place to ask. That would be food-grade though, and may be a bit more expensive than what's used in pool filters.

If you'd like to do a seed swap at the end of the season, I'm up for it! You seemed interested in Gochus... would that work for you?

That sounded like quite an interesting sauce, I can't even imagine what it'd taste like, but I like all those ingredients, so it should be good, right? 

I think a seed swap would be an excellent idea. The gochus sure peaked my curiosity, rare (in this part of the world) peppers tend to do that. 

Right, I'm calling it, this is not a purple pequin at all, not even a cross I reckon. That red mature one didn't go through a purple phase at all, not to mention that they are too big. I'm not growing anything like this pepper, so it shouldn't be a mix up on my front. 

Back