• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Confused, so 7 Pot Brain Strain is hotter than the Bhut Jolokia?

I was reading the 7 Pot tread on the growing forum and some are saying there is no comparing the heat of the 7 Pot to the Bhut, Naga or Fatali. Is this true?

I haven't had the Brain Strain in particular, but the 7 Pods I have had certainly are hotter for my palette. Well, maybe not the Yellow 7 but the red and the Douglah I grew last season certainly was.

Silver_Surfer said:
Grow them and compare them for yourself. :)

I think I have one of each in the garden right now, time will tell if they produce some pods.

So why are Bhut's advertised as the worlds hottest pepper if they are not?

Maybe its not so much the money, I think its more to do with the precedence set by Dr. Bosland when the Bhuts were tested. Now its not just a matter of testing one pod, you need to grow out many plants and test random, weighed samples which include all parts of the chile not just placental tissue. It also appears that many HPLC tests are flawed and/or innacurrate so for best results you'd want to send samples to labs like NMSU and the analitic food laboratory

What it really comes down to IMO is that tests mean nothing. Heat can be detected by your tounge, too easy.

:lol: I have seen that before. We should make a yearly THP rating system, it WOULD be the most accurate. ;)

Novacastrian said:
What it really comes down to IMO is that tests mean nothing. Heat can be detected by your tounge, too easy.

+1

Numbers on a scale pale in comparison to the number of cells in your mouth on fire. :mouthonfire:

I had both side by side for a few years now and the 7 Pod is much hotter than a Bhut Jolokia. The Jolokia is also a thin walled pepper with limited placenta tissue, while the Brain Strain is thicker pimply skin mean heavy placenta dripping with capsaicin that not only burns your face off your head but leaves you on the floor with stomach cramps till it passes and burns you a new one.:hell:

I grow many more Bhut Jolokia than I do 7 Pod because I can eat a Bhut and enjoy it in moderation.;)

Personally scorpions(BT) seem hottest to me but the 7 pot has a better flavor than the scorpion or the bhut in my opinion

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
It's just too bad that you have never tasted a Brain Strain yet Potawie since you like the flavor of the 7 Pod?

I'll definitely have to try them next season, save me some good seeds eh:)

All I can say is my son and grandson eat bhuts and nagas and love them but Cappy's Brain Strain 7 pot had them nearly to their knees...the heat is that much more. They are extremely hot peppers, can tell the difference when you cut them open. Be very scared!!!!!!

Interesting too that before the bhuts/nagas/scorpions/7pots were widely know about, the hottest peppers around were the brown "habs" and devil's tongue/Fatalii

Back