• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Costco Rant

I'll shave my ballsack with a rusty lawnmower blade before I wear a mask. It. Is. Pointless. To me. And the AMA.

That being said, it is the reason I won't go into a Costco and a small number of other retailers making the same unfortunate demand.

So I spent over $400 on an online order last week.

A few of the items showed up via UPS yesterday, so I expected the rest today.

Instead I get an email: "Refund Notice For Order #-----------"

No explanation. Simply a list of the items that hadn't shown up yet and a refund amount.

I tracked the entire order, which made it as far as 12 miles away at the UPS dist. center in town...then "out for delivery".

Suddenly a refund, no delivery. No online chat, no email address, and whatever you do, DO NOT try to call these hawn-yawks. After 20 minutes of redundant misdirection, they said that wait times for talking to a human were OVER an hour.

Then THEY hung up on me.

Now I'm going to go through the same dog & pony show with UPS...

Then find a new retailer online. I wish H.E.B. would start some shit.....

WM requiring masks starting 20 July at all US stores and Sam's.  I don't get the refund notice shite. That's BS.  I wish we had a H.E.B. here ..... best store ever.

HEB does rock.

Harder than chinese arithmetic. 

But alas.

Masks are mandatory ever where now.

Even HEB.

Theres only a coupla' thangs I buy from Costco.

Ivar's Clam Chowder.

And Mauna Loa Macadamias when they have them.

I see management and employees in Lowes not wearing masks properly, or not at all, even though it is 'required' to wear one to enter the store.

In the last four months, I have only seen ONE employee in ANY retail establishment EVER wipe down the credit card machine, even though hundreds of people touch it everyday.

My employer requires me to wear one when I am on company business in a public place. I refuse to wear one when I am on my own time. Let them arrest me.

When I see conclusive empirical peer-reviewed clinical evidence using a substantial (hundreds of thousands) sample size that masks PREVENT the spread, I might consider wearing one, but probably not.

stettoman said:
I'll shave my ballsack with a rusty lawnmower blade before I wear a mask. It. Is. Pointless. To me. And the AMA.

I'm thinking about getting one of these.  Not only can I get in to Costco, but maybe it will help disperse those damned people clogging up the aisles looking for a small cup of sample Cheez-Its, raisins, bacon bits with ranch, etc.

michael-myers-full-mask-halloween-1978-main.jpg

Or this one, comes with a pretty sweet hat

zorro.jpg

I was under the impression that wearing a mask helps prevent spreading the virus to others.  Not so much in protecting the wearer.  If I had the virus and didnt know it I sure wouldn't want to take the chance of spreading it to someone else and possibly causing their death so I wear one.
I don't know if it helps or not.  It's above my pay grade but wearing one hasn't hurt me so far.  

In Michigan Big Gretch has ordered everybody ( employees and customers) to wear masks at all stores and businesses. Our positive numbers have been going up for July. She even shut down some inside eating for mostly bars ( if 70% or more of their sales is alcohol) but she will let them do carry out and curbside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stettoman said:

That being said, it is the reason I won't go into a Costco and a small number of other retailers making the same unfortunate demand.

So I spent over $400 on an online order last week.

A few of the items showed up via UPS yesterday, so I expected the rest today.

Instead I get an email: "Refund Notice For Order #-----------"

No explanation. Simply a list of the items that hadn't shown up yet and a refund amount.

I tracked the entire order, which made it as far as 12 miles away at the UPS dist. center in town...then "out for delivery".

Suddenly a refund, no delivery. No online chat, no email address, and whatever you do, DO NOT try to call these hawn-yawks. After 20 minutes of redundant misdirection, they said that wait times for talking to a human were OVER an hour.

Then THEY hung up on me.

Now I'm going to go through the same dog & pony show with UPS...

Then find a new retailer online. I wish H.E.B. would start some shit.....

I personally have no stake in whether you want to wear a mask . It seems like you are taking alternate measures, physical distancing, online ordering, pick up etc, but the AMA does recommend masking.

https://www.ama-assn.org/topics/coronavirus-masking-public

Wearing a mask is all we have !

No cure.
No treatment .
No proper epidemiological studies.
No end in sight.

A mask DOES reduce the risk . Maybe not 100% , but it does help .
You don't need a double blind , placebo controlled , age adjusted , gender equal study of thousands of people over 10 years to prove it.

I'm a township MD for 25 years , people have no choice , but to go to work in crowded mini-bus taxis every day . 3-4 generations stay together in one house , from small kids to great grandmother . No safe retirement homes .

Masks is what we have and it does help.

I guess that some people are just sadists.  They enjoy prolonging pain and torture.  

In the good 'ol US of A, we will continue to have restaurant/bar shutdowns and many of the other current restrictions as long as mask wearing and the other simple recommendations are yawned upon.  The US as a whole is not doing terrible with this, but lackluster compliance is just enough that we will linger in this purgatory for months ahead.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/03/17/personal-measures-taken-avoid-covid-19

The way I see it, comply for the short term (and give up that "liberty" briefly that some are crying about), and get back to living normal here shortly.

At one time wasn't mandatory seatbelts an infringement on our liberty.  The Man has really tamped us back with that one.  

Oh yea, we made a large Costco order a week ago.  Everything came. In like 3 days.  Maybe Costco is watching for mask compliance, and fulfilling accordingly.  

karoo said:
Wearing a mask is all we have !

No cure.
No treatment .
No proper epidemiological studies.
No end in sight.

A mask DOES reduce the risk . Maybe not 100% , but it does help .
You don't need a double blind , placebo controlled , age adjusted , gender equal study of thousands of people over 10 years to prove it.

I'm a township MD for 25 years , people have no choice , but to go to work in crowded mini-bus taxis every day . 3-4 generations stay together in one house , from small kids to great grandmother . No save retirement homes .

Masks is what we have and it does help.

My sister works in management if a large group of retirement, continuing care homes here.

When covid first started getting into the homes they instituted their normal influenza protocols and it barely slowed it down.

Within days of instituting universal masking in the facilities, the infection rates slowed, with 2-3 weeks approximately the outbreaks were ended.

That real world, life saving , health preserving result tells me everything I need to know about the effectiveness of masking.

It took a lot longer for me to find any info on why it works, when past research and studies based on infuenza showed little benefit and possibly made it worse.

I am not saying what is presented on the following link will end up being the "Truth", but it does give a compelling argument as to why masking is so effective for covid 19.

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/coronavirus/opinion-dr-malcolm-butler-why-you-should-wear-a-mask-it-s-the-air-you/article_998e2394-b5a1-11ea-b609-27e947f1e3fe.html

I don't shop Costco because it's not conveniently located to my home. The biggest issue I've had with Costco is long lines.
I wear the mask when I am somewhere that requires them it doesn't bother me for short term. My work requires us to wear them, but doesn't actually enforce it. I work in a building with open doors basically outside. The online shopping thing is frustrating, I've had similar issues ordering from multiple big box stores recently.

Weeellllllll.  What was it?  Hijacked by the mafia?  System crash due to Russian hackers?  Comet NEOWISE disrupting GPS guidance to your humble abode?  

FYI, I love Costco - as long as I'm not the one stepping foot in their establishments with the unwashed masses (and I find the giant carts intimidating). 

stettoman said:
Well fukk, so much for the costco discussion.

Talked to UPS yesterday, learned a bit. But apparently I hijacked my own thread in the first sentence....

.........nevermind....... :silenced:
That first very graphic sentence really set you up .for a highjack!

stettoman said:
Well fukk, so much for the costco discussion.

Talked to UPS yesterday, learned a bit. But apparently I hijacked my own thread in the first sentence....

.........nevermind....... :silenced:

These online things can turn out ok too.

Back at the start of quarantine, my wife put in a fairly big shared order with some friends at a Niagara place for wine,beer and cider.

Half the order showed up but the other half was missing in action so she phoned them up. They had somehow lost track of what was fulfilled, so sent out a replacement which arrive a couple days later.

4 days after that the original second half , which they actually had shipped ended up showing up.

She wanted just to keep it but as really nervous about the whole thing .

I told her to just phone, tell them it showed up and predicted what they would say.

They told her to keep it and enjoy it just like I knew they would.

Way cheaper for them to write it off as a promotional giveaway than pay to ship back.

Tybo said:
I was under the impression that wearing a mask helps prevent spreading the virus to others.  Not so much in protecting the wearer.

That is what we were told early on (Note date on below.):

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
My understanding is they will not prevent contracting the virus but will prevent spreading it by caregivers. As to the reason for this, haven't a clue.
 But of course we now have:

Why did the CDC change its guidance on wearing masks?
_

I ordered beer online and by mistake they gave me CAROLINA REAPER BEER!

It made me wonder, how do they know me as THP??????? :rofl: SPIES ARE EVERYWHERE!

I complained so it was free and they were not too bad.

Other snafus are needing something really bad and it just doesn't come (and no one says anything)... to, getting substitutions you did not approve (they ask while they shop if you will accept their sub, but sometimes they just bring it and it's a brand or flavor you do not like).

OVERALL I am very happy shopping for food online, it's new to me and I can get stuff quick, even in the future I will use it a bit out of laze. 

Mostly I am talking about Whole Foods. I know you guys know it as expensive, but they are a huge retailer (amazon) and are able to outprice my local stores which are expensive! Plus they have their 365 store brand which is high quality stuff. I get their beans, baked beans, all kinds of stuff way cheaper than my locals. Plus I get wild river catfish for $8.99/lb and make po boys a lot. ;)

Back