craft beer

i have never been to happy with much of what SAM ADAMS put out, but they changed my mind a little
my friend gave me a DOUBLE BOCK last week and it was quite good
sort of a sweet slightly thinner Guinness started and finish very well nice malty flavor no fight to it at all

thanks your friend Joe

I drink all kinds of craft beer. I don't even know how many I've tried but the wife and I have traveled to several surrounding states and breweries just to try new beers.

Current favorites include Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout, Left Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Lagunitas Sucks, Stone Enjoy By 2.15.13 IPA, Stone Smoked Porter and Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean, Big Sky Cowboy Coffee Porter, Deshutes The Abyss and Black Butte XXIV, Maui Brewing Coconut Porter, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Odells Milk Chocolate Stout, New Belgium Lips of Faith Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout, Great Divide Brewing Yeti Imperial Stout, La Cumbre Elevation IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Souther Star's Buried Hatchet Stout, Boulder Brewing Flashback, Ayinger Celebrator Double Bock, Santa Fe Brewing Java Imperial Stout and Happy Camper IPA, SKA Brewing Modus Hoperandi, and Rochefort Trappiste 8 (10 and 6 are good but I prefer 8.

Honorable mentions: Dale's Pale Ale, Anchor Porter, Big Easy IPA, Kona Brewing Koko Brown (a guilty pleasure of mine), Pyramind Outburst DIPA, Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero

Worst beers I've had recently: Modelo, Big Flats, Rolling Rock, Fat Tire

Having one of these tonight. I like them and Beer Advocate whether you agree with them or not gave it a 94 (Exceptional).

IMG_2258.jpg

Not bad for a lower cost craft beer.
I bought a case at Costco called the Spring Thaw Variety pack that includes the Double Agent IPL, Maple Pecan Porter, White Lantern, Irish Red, Alpine Spring and Boston Lager. Not a bad variety for the price.

double+agent+ipl.jpg

Though SA does not make my favorite beer by any means, I'm always good for buying at least one of their mixed seasonal pack each season they have. It's like tradition to ring in the season. I've yet to pick up a spring this year.

No HTH they do not make my favorite beers either but for a big name brand they make some of the best in their league I think.
Far better than every domestic beer out there.

Drinking a Lagunitas IPA right now and then the main course for the evening will be a 22 oz bottle of Arrogant Bastard. :beer:

No HTH they do not make my favorite beers either but for a big name brand they make some of the best in their league I think.
Far better than every domestic beer out there.

Drinking a Lagunitas IPA right now and then the main course for the evening will be a 22 oz bottle of Arrogant Bastard. :beer:
if you like the Stones stuff you gotta try there IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT oh dats good stuff!! had one last night
exceptional taste :party:

thanks your friend Joe

I've never really been a fan of IPAs. It's probably my lease favorite style, but yesterday I had Victory's Hopedevil. Stuff was so goodness. Makes me wanna give others more of a chance. I see that nugget nectar everywhere. Gonna have to pick one up.

if you like the Stones stuff you gotta try there IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT oh dats good stuff!! had one last night
exceptional taste :party:

thanks your friend Joe

I tried it years ago Joe and it is good if you like beer as stout as possible.
I like it but it has to be COLD! Once it starts to warm it is difficult to drink for me.

Ah si... when it warms is when all the roasty goodness really comes out. Stouts are definitely one of those beers that as it warms the more flavorful it becomes. There is no better sip than the last sip.

I tried it years ago Joe and it is good if you like beer as stout as possible.
I like it but it has to be COLD! Once it starts to warm it is difficult to drink for me.
yes it does but them that's the only way i like my beer COLD, also alot of those "high octane" brew get more vicious the warmer they get, i may be a bit of a wuss but im not super fond of the higher alcohol stuff, most times and this is just me but it seems that the boozy taste detracts from the beer character, it tends to mask some of beers finer points and there what i look for
STONES IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT(again to me) could be even better if they dropped the ABV some say to around maybe 6 percent then it would allow the "malty stouty" flavor to flow more,it had a perfect Stout flavor but i got alot of alcohol on it especially as it warmed and had to quickly drink the remainder before it got any warmer, to each his own im sure there are many like my younger friend Evan that dont mind the higher alcohol and the sting as it warms,another reason im not fond of the higher alcohol is because i hate the feeling of being to far over board or drunk, i drink beer for enjoyment because i love its flavor not to get blasted
as i said to each his own this is just me speaking for myself
thanks your friend Joe

Joe, you do know that the reason it is an IMPERIAL Russian Stout is the higher alcohol right? And Proud Marine Dad, sorry, but Stouts and Porters are meant to be drank a little warmer. Pils and IPA's cold.

Joe, you do know that the reason it is an IMPERIAL Russian Stout is the higher alcohol right? And Proud Marine Dad, sorry, but Stouts and Porters are meant to be drank a little warmer. Pils and IPA's cold.
yeah im aware of it, but it still would be nice to have the flavor without all the alcohol, and there there aint no way i will drink any beer warm YUK

thanks your friend Joe

Ah si... when it warms is when all the roasty goodness really comes out. Stouts are definitely one of those beers that as it warms the more flavorful it becomes. There is no better sip than the last sip.

You guys obviously like beer that tastes like malted chocolate. I am not a fan. The Stone Russian Imperial Stout when I tried it, and this was several years ago so I might have to try it again, but I found it hard to finish the bottle as it warmed. I was not drinking stronger beers back then so that may have something to do with it.

Well I guess I am not a big fan of Stouts and Porters then. I will stick to my Arrogant Bastard as I think it is far better than both of the aforementioned. ;)

You guys obviously like beer that tastes like malted chocolate. I am not a fan. The Stone Russian Imperial Stout when I tried it, and this was several years ago so I might have to try it again, but I found it hard to finish the bottle as it warmed. I was not drinking stronger beers back then so that may have something to do with it.

Well I guess I am not a big fan of Stouts and Porters then. I will stick to my Arrogant Bastard as I think it is far better than both of the aforementioned. ;)

I don't know if Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is the best choice for a non stout lover. Maybe try something easier like a Samuel Smith's Chocolate or Oatmeal Stout, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Stone Smoke Porter, or maybe Old Rasputin. You should probably avoid the "motor oil" stuff like Ten Fidy, Black Butte XXIV, The Abyss.

"Warm" means 55-60 degrees. "Cold" is usually around 35 to 45. I still contend stouts are better warm (and other styles too... belgian style doubels and tripples come to mind) and taste better that way, but as Joe said "to each his own". The "right" temperature is the one you prefer. ;)

Here is an excellent example of a stout that I prefer warm. Like 50-55F For that matter anything on Nitro is better warm.

100_1437.JPG

Back