craft beer

Sickmont said:
Oh hell yeah....now i have ANOTHER reason to make a weekend trip out that way soon.

well i'll have to look it up, but i was reading some articles about a place in northern miami that is basically the same thing. the reviews i read for that were all positive, and i really want to check that would out. i haven't read any of the reviews from the place i went to yesterday though. it was good, but having gotten the need to try the place out of my system..i'm not sure when the next time i'll be back there will be. you ever go to the tampa bay brewing co? thats over in tampa, and is supposed to be very good! i'm looking forward to trying it out when i'm visiting my parents for christmas since my little brother will be 21 as of the 17th.

xgrafcorex said:
well i'll have to look it up, but i was reading some articles about a place in northern miami that is basically the same thing. the reviews i read for that were all positive, and i really want to check that would out. i haven't read any of the reviews from the place i went to yesterday though. it was good, but having gotten the need to try the place out of my system..i'm not sure when the next time i'll be back there will be. you ever go to the tampa bay brewing co? thats over in tampa, and is supposed to be very good! i'm looking forward to trying it out when i'm visiting my parents for christmas since my little brother will be 21 as of the 17th.

Oh, yeah...the T.B. brewing co. is killer!
Ever go to the Jetsetter Lounge in West Palm? It's gotta be one of my favorite places in Florida to go to eat, drink and be lively.

Sickmont said:
Ever go to the Jetsetter Lounge in West Palm? It's gotta be one of my favorite places in Florida to go to eat, drink and be lively.

nope..i've never heard of it. they brew their own beers? or its just a cool bar to go to?

well, the holidays aren't quite over yet, but i've had quite a bit of beer over the last week or so.

we went to the tampa bay brewing co restaurant and it was what i was hoping it would be. ;) i had a "jack the quaffer" porter, some old elephant foot ipa, and tried a swig of their blonde lager and their barley wine beer. they were all pretty damn good! the barley wine stuff was kinda weird...the first beer of this style i've ever had. it was 9.8% i believe..and you could taste it, though not too much.

xgrafcorex said:
the barley wine stuff was kinda weird...the first beer of this style i've ever had.

north coast old stock ale is a barley wine. werent you talking about drinking that?

ross said:
north coast old stock ale is a barley wine. werent you talking about drinking that?

ahh...i didn't realize it was. i tried one, but the rest are in the back of my closet to be forgotten about. i guess i had just assumed it was a belgian style ale. :)

xgrafcorex said:
ahh...i didn't realize it was. i tried one, but the rest are in the back of my closet to be forgotten about. i guess i had just assumed it was a belgian style ale. :)

nope! belgians are usually much lighter than those. thats an american style barley wine. try some english style ones - thomas hardys, jw lees harvest ale - to get an example of those. they are much sweeter, more after dinner drinks than the american style ones.

good thing youre forgetting about them! they should be ripening as we speak. try one in june and see how its doing

Well I had Dogfish Head's FORT new year's eve. A very strong ale ( around 18% I believe) flavored with raspberries. Tasty, but a little too sweet for my taste. At $17+ bucks a bottle I doubt I'll get another one.

Next up is their Raisin d'EXTRA.

chuk hell said:
Well I had Dogfish Head's FORT new year's eve. A very strong ale ( around 18% I believe) flavored with raspberries. Tasty, but a little too sweet for my taste. At $17+ bucks a bottle I doubt I'll get another one.

Next up is their Raisin d'EXTRA.

chuck, those are 2 beers ive not yet had. i have both of them in storage (2002 extra, and 2005 fort) but the extra i am probably saving until i have "rated" 2000 beers on ratebeer.com, (im at 1200 now..) and the fort i am just gonna wait until i have 3 or 4 people to drink it with, because the though of taking on a 18% fruit beer solo in a 750 ml is quite daunting. the extra though, that is for me. i may try to share it with my best friend, but the 2002 bottle is 21.5% abv and its in a 750ml, so yes, ill be pretty drunk upon finishing that one.

anyone try that immort ale from dfh? saw it at the store or at this restaurant..i forget which. either way, i wound up going with something else.

hell yea..this saturday is a beer tasting at the local total wine and more. can't wait!

xgrafcorex said:
anyone try that immort ale from dfh? saw it at the store or at this restaurant..i forget which. either way, i wound up going with something else.

hell yea..this saturday is a beer tasting at the local total wine and more. can't wait!

yes. it cellars well. i drank a 2003 bottle last year, and it was awesome. i have about 15 bottles of it i think. (not the 03, but 05). very good stuff.

ross said:
yes. it cellars well. i drank a 2003 bottle last year, and it was awesome. i have about 15 bottles of it i think. (not the 03, but 05). very good stuff.

I want to get in that cellar of yours Ross :lol:

blind beer tasting...

so i bought a handful of similar beers to have one of my roommates pour for me (and them) to try. only i won't have any idea which is which. the only thing i was wondering about was pouring witbiers.

the beers i bought are: allagash white, blue moon, st bernardus wit, avery white rascal, spanish peaks summer white, and sterkens white ale.

some of them say to swirl the sediment around after pouring some of the beer, then to pour everything into the beer..others don't say, and for the ones that don't say to..i try to disturb the sediment as little as possible.

so do you all just pour the whole thing in? i figure that would be easiest for my roommate since he isn't used to swirling this, pouring only so much of that, etc..i'm sure he could manage..but after buying all those beers i though..damn..would've been simplier if i just bought some ipas or something.

i dont drink the sediment. swirling the sediment around is something done with most witbiers and hefes, but i dont drink the sediment on any beer, period. if you want to, feel free, it wont change the way the beer tastes until the very bottom of the glass.

i've done it with some but not with many. if it specifically says to, that is what i do because that is how they intend their beer to be consumed...otherwise i figure just leave it out.

on another note..after talking to someone a bit about the rouge xs imperial stout...i figured what the hell..drank a bottle earlier. i'll post a review a little later.

Back