vendor Crazy Hot Seeds

https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/

logo.png

This should be interesting, as I bought three Reaper and 3x "Chocolate Bhutlah" plants from this vendor the other night, having clicked through AJDrew's website ...

They had a (727) area code for a phone number, and the pictures on their Facebook page seemed "nice" ...

Basically they have to be St. Pete/Clearwater, FL or so, so they can't be too far away ...

The site says they are certified by the state ...
https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/us/

The return policy is acceptable ...
https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/return-policy/

Their policies seem appropriate ...
https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/privacy-policy/

I don't think I'm aware of them as being a THP member, but it looks like there's some drama elsewhere on the net, where they might not be selling legit chocolate bhutlah - we'll see about that soon enough, I guess.

I'm starting some seeds myself, anyways, but I was happy to pick up a couple of plugs to have fresh pods sooner than later since I haven't been able to source any yet, still ...

I bought their Top 10 seed bundle w/ the half-dozen plants, because I only had the TS and Reaper seeds from that list already, so it'll be interesting to see how this one pans out ...

I usually LOL when people do an "unboxing" ... but that's exactly what this will be ...

I remember the first time I watched an MGOLD video for a CCN unboxing years ago, when it was all new ...

grantmichaels said:
Package is here ;) ... I was hoping it would arrive with only overnight transit, and it did ...

I'll update the thread w/ pictures and feedback once I've done enough work that I can stop for a bit to process them ...
Everything will be good. I can feel it.

grantmichaels said:

I'm going to post in an hour or so, I'm wrapping up my first round of today's work now ...

CHS - I feel like I'm unwrapping smuggled African Grey's or something, LOL ...

Haha. The packaging might be a little... extreme, but the multiple layers and the bubble wrap is necessary for the colder and longer distance locations we ship to. Each layer has a purpose. The root ball is moistened and wrapped in plastic so the foliage does not get wet. Newspaper is additional insulation and to keep them from moving during transportation. The final bubble wrap is for insulation as well. Again, not necessary for the intrastate shipping.

Crazy Hot Seeds said:

Haha. The packaging might be a little... extreme, but the multiple layers and the bubble wrap is necessary for the colder and longer distance locations we ship to. Each layer has a purpose. The root ball is moistened and wrapped in plastic so the foliage does not get wet. Newspaper is additional insulation and to keep them from moving during transportation. The final bubble wrap is for insulation as well. Again, not necessary for the intrastate shipping.

You don't know, but everyone else does ... my reading comprehension is legendarily poor and I suck about following directions ... so I haven't gone back to your site to see if I missed it, but I think you should probably warn people to have pots ready in advance if you are sending plugs out of pots. I'm in fine shape, but the only two places I've ordered from in the past (CCN and Piedmont) sent plants in small pots ...

No biggie, it presents a little tiny Sophie's Choice only  because of the weather we're expecting in a couple of nights ...

I'm going to plant them in promix bx in little pots I have leftover from the one's that I received in the past, and keep them inside and place them under a pair of 20w T5HO's (arrived yesterday) ...

I'll let them get happy for a week or two inside while the weather works itself out ...

Pics in a bit ...

Was happy the box came w/ a return address, which is usually a good sign ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298484.983308.jpg

Frank instructions included ... made me LOL a little ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298517.217338.jpg

Extras ... always appreciated ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298548.302439.jpg

In the bubble wrap ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298613.640676.jpg

Little tied tags, reminded me of the pics they used to show for parrot smuggling ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298681.713892.jpg

Pots getting bleached ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298700.928181.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298713.411652.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298722.330654.jpg

And seeds ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298749.730922.jpg

With a little Reaper powder for a nice touch ...

So far, so good, anyways ...

Too bad it's planning to damn near freeze Thursday early AM ...

I'll start 'em inside, under fluoro ...

I'm in no hurry ... the whole theme of growing this round is low-stress.

Sophie's Choice ...

Plant into:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424300638.269525.jpg

And put cardboard boxes over them at night for a couple days, single re-potting for the next couple months ...

Or plant into really small pots and pop under small fluoro's for a few weeks and re-pot twice without much time between ...

Or ignore all direction and unwrap, but leave roots in plastic for a couple days and into those pouches Friday ...

All are probably OK, really ...

Anyone feeling more strongly in favor of one over the others?

Hey Boss - should this be last post be moved to my glog thread ( http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38605-grantmichaels-2013-2015/), since it's not pertinent to this thread over the long haul? ...

BlackFatalii said:
Nice unboxing pics! Looks like they really packaged those plants well. Nice to see that they took such good care of you  :)

I believe you might be the only person who read the post I edited/nuked ...

I'm actually going to edit the snark out of what I had, but still post all of the points as feedback for CHS, so he can be aware of what might make a savvy customer suspicious ...

here's some commentary on the unboxing ...

i think you don't want plants to come w/ dirt on the tops. you are tangling w/ PTSD for anyone who has introduced pests to their grow w/ plugs in the past. since i'm a relatively small-scale grower, and i've had it happen more than once from introducing plants to my space, i think it's worth steering clear of ...

i think press and seal might work better, but i find the plants w/ soil all up in the leaves and all between the small, new growth to be a nuisance because i don't know what you have in the soil in terms of fertilizer, how fast it'll burn the leaves, and also don't really want to dunk the plant's top's in water immediately following their journey (in part because of your frank and explicit instructions) ...

actually, though, i now have thought of what might be a better technique altogether. the cost of the raw materials for shrink tubing might be a little bit more than saran wrap, but i think you can offset it in how much nicer it'll be to work with, for one, and also since it comes in a myriad of colors, you can probably save the time you are spending tying the little plant type tags by just using color coded shrink tubing ...

the stuff i use to seal ESC's for my drones takes almost no time to shrink, and the better quality materials seal watertight. they also shrink 2:1, so they are really nice to work with if you are working yourself, or w/ a 3rd hand, for instance. they shrink fast enough that i don't think the heat from the hot air gun (i have a wagner) would affect the plants much, and if you were really worried, a tiny layer of sponged-on water on the steam would provide more than enough thermal buffering for the time it would take to shrink the tubing ...

anyways, just an idea ...

i know the little scaffolded boxes i've received plants in from other vendors turns out to be a royal PITA to breakdown to get the plants out of the packaging ... all i have to say about that is "ugh, lot's of tape" and anyone else who's done it will groan and nod, i think ...

so, i don't know, i kind of like the pot-less shipping perhaps, but i think you need to successfully keep the dirt out of the leaves, and i think it would be tidier and nicer to snip off shrink tubing than deal w/ the plastic wrap, but especially at your price point.

it's probably a nice thermal buffer too, being thicker than plastic and similarly non-conductive in a thermal sense ...

Elcamino said:
Hey Grant THX for presenting this shop.
I just ordered some seeds. And at the end of 2015 I hope I can taste the Chocolate Bhutlah :hot:  :dance:
greetz Micha

I think we all need to be careful w/ our words ...

You can taste a chocolate bhutlah ...

I guess there isn't really a the chocolate bhutlah ...

Ok I think you`re right. I also grow the brown Bhutlah SLP in 2015. 
So I can compare both!
The hype about the Chocolate Bhutlah started with the Vid`s from Steven. Maybe he has the only monster Bhutlah??
I tried to get some seeds but failed....

I have to admit, w/ as much pod-to-pod variance as there genuinely is, beyond naga morich anything can be palette blowingly hot to me ...

Shit, I'm more excited about growing my shop foreman's wild grove pepper from MIA and Joyner's Mystery Wine than the Reaper or the Choc Bhutlah ...

The Butch T has been my favorite tasting TS to date, or at least the one's pepperrich used to sell by the SFRB were ...

My plants are all alive and as well or better than when they arrived ... so I'm happy, thus far!

I would say that the Choc. Bhutlah plugs are stockier/heartier than the Reapers at this point, still ...

Back