• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Cross pollination

RJS

Banned
All my peppers, about 7 varieties, are in close proximation with each other.
I'm starting to get some weird stuff here and there like tiny habanero shaped jalapenos on bushes that produced steady flawless huge jalapenos before the Habbies started blooming good.
It was my understanding that any cross pollination would affect the seeds and any subsequent plants, not the fruits cross-pollinated. Is this incorrect? Accordingly, I hadn't planned on saving any seed from year to year, ordering everything fresh.

You are right, cross pollination won't affect this season's pods at all, they'll just yield seeds that may turn into a cross when grown next year (or whenever). Cross pollination can't be the cause for what you described.

i have always been under the impression that it effects the seeds and any subsequent plants as well....

hmmm...interesting though..lol

Well, it DOES affect the seeds and thus the subsequent plants. That's what I was trying to say. It just doesn't affect the pods and plants in the year it gets cross pollinated.

This is the 2nd year our Thai Dragons & Fish Peppers have been a pure cross. They are on a Fish pepper plant with long Thai peppers with the Fish stripes. When mature they are red with a cream stripe. & HOT. Now we have to name them. Suggestions?? We also have pure Fish peppers & Thais. We isolate some plants every year so they arent all crossed.

Back