• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake "Crushed Red Pepper" - what variety is it?

My Toney's experiment didn't fare too well. All of the seedlings (3) died, mostly due to mold or some other failure on my part. The whole dried Thai peppers (Budda brand "RED CHILI") are doing the best. Funny that out of all the batches of seeds started this year, the mystery pepper is the tallest, at least 5 inches, and heardiest with 10+ leaves.

Pepperfreak said:
I think i remember reading somewhere that generic crushed red peppers are usually made from a combo of ancho, bell, cayenne.
Wikipedia is notoriously wrong. Stop reading it :lol:

The best thing to do is ask a spice company like Penzys.

Not sure what pepper but it's crushed chiles as far as I know, no bell! And no ancho. Generic chili powder, yes, ancho.

I believe it's cayenne.

Badia's Red Pepper is crushed red chili peppers from India.

This is a brand you see all over here, not sure if you see it where you are.

No bell pepper here! They can't tell me the pepper name just that it's from India. Perhaps they buy it in bulk from India as just "dried red pepper" who knows.

I've had this brand it is quite good.

I know I got correct info because her last name was Badia.

For the Badia company, yes. Of course other companies will vary.

Resurrecting an old thread....
Here is an update on my "Pizza Cottage" peppers. After my initial
sprout came up, about a week later, another one started, so I have two
plants. They are still alive and kicking, doing quite well, and
recently started producing pods.

Plant #1
I would say that, based on the responses about crushed red
pepper being cayenne, that this IS some variety of cayenne.

pizzacottage1.jpg

pizzacottage2.jpg

Plant #2
Obviously there are multiple varieties in the mix, as this
one looks completely different and is producing small, rounder pods.
Not sure what it is yet, but we'll see eventually.

pizzacottage3.jpg

pizzacottage4.jpg

If anyone wants to help identify, I can post better pics
of leaves and/or pods as they ripen up.

Also, that's so cool that you got those to germinate.
They do have to be mixed with something not so spicy though. I can toss a full teaspoon of that at my full pot of chilli without having to call the ER. i have to use about a quarter of a teaspoon of Cappy's dried tabasco flakes or I end up in pain over my plate.

That is cool that you can take some random seeds from some resaurant and grow them. I heard somewhere that the only true red pepper is a cayenne, and most technical types dont even like the name cayenne, but it should be called red pepper. Im not sure if this is correct, and I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I think that most crushed red peppers do not compare to the heat of crushed cayennne.

This is an old thread, but here's my findings. I have tried several different kinds of 'crushed red pepper' seeds over the years and none have sprouted. Went to the the dollar tree and bought a big shaker of 'crushed red pepper' and just for fun threw a small handful in a pot and planted like I would any other pepper.... I figured they would be like the rest and not germinate.... well, these did.... I looked up what variety 'crushed red pepper' is and it's supposedly a variety of peppers.... on closer inspection, the seeds are different sizes. So, we'll just have to see what happens next. If I can get this picture to load (I seem to have a lot of trouble trying to upload images on here...lol), this was a few days ago, WAY more have come up. Like I said I wasn't expecting ANY to come up.... I always wondered why the ones I tried before never did and it's because they were irradiated or cooked, I guess. [post='http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=410149189037357&set=a.333068256745451.96754.100001268389234&type=3&theater'][/post]

@Spiceward --- would think that germination depends on how the pods were dehydrated when making the "crushed red papper" - If they used a commercial dehydrator at high temps to get them dry fast the seeds will probably not germinate very well ( might get the odd germination) while if they were sun dried or dried at a lower temp you might get some good germinations - So the Dollar Tree stuff is most likely from some third world country that uses the sun to dehydrate the peppers instead of a large industrial drying facility.

You guys are crazy germinating seeds from pizza joints........too bad I didn't read this last night before we went out for a pie! Dammit!

Back