• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake "Crushed Red Pepper" - what variety is it?

Great thread, I love the crushed pepper from Pizza Hut. You may be growing seeds from an F1-variety, so growing out the F2 generation gives you different plants. Growing out some seeds from a selfed pod next year should provide the answer. If plants are all alike it must be a stabile variety already, if not you are on your way to creating your very own pepper flake variety, then you would need to select the best plant(s) and take selfed seeds again. Looking forward to seeing a ripe pod and the thickness of the walls...

Obviously there are multiple varieties in the mix, as this
one looks completely different and is producing small, rounder pods.
Not sure what it is yet, but we'll see eventually.

@ultravista @jetskee. I thought I was the only one who had tried the CD spindle cover. My wife thought I was being weird and cheap. Ha. Genius-I say.

Never thought you could germinate or consider germinating crushed red peppers from the jar. Going off topic for a bit, does anyone know what peppers are used in hot sauces like Sriracha? Because they all seem to put "red chili pepper" or "pepper" in the ingredients. Just curious.

Going off topic for a bit, does anyone know what peppers are used in hot sauces like Sriracha? Because they all seem to put "red chili pepper" or "pepper" in the ingredients. Just curious.

I believe Huy Fong Foods brand currently uses fermented red Jalapenos ( I believe they used to use Serranos but switched to keep costs lower.)

The pepper is a Peperoncino - like what Lidia Bastianich uses extensively (Lidia's Italy cooking show) they look like a cayenne

Back