• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Curious about sushi...

Wit'out..... it's salmon and cream cheese.

texas blues said:
Too bad Sky that you can't eat shellfish. The spider roll is my #1. Deep fried softshell crab rocks!

I hear ya. One of my favorite foods before developing this allergy was a good crab cake.

Then I joined the Navy, and worked with all sorts of wonderful chemicals and the odd nuclear reactor or two, and one day, out of the blue, I dig into a pile of crab legs.

A few minutes later and boom, anaphylactic shock.

Sucks balls.

So now I never go out to eat without carrying an epipen and a few benadryl tablets.

Luckily the man who took me to the bar spoke English, the dude making the sushi didn't, so I spent a few minutes explaining in great detail that if dude slipped me a piece of crab, or octopus, or mollusks, that it could literally kill me.

But, much like those nutters that eat blowfish and live to tell the tale (oooooh, fish that makes your mouth go numb so you can't taste anything and could kill you! yay! the only people who I can respect for eating this are the ones that are doing it for the danger, don't tell me how good it is when it contains a neurotoxin), I made it though my plate of fishies.

TL;DR: allergies suck, but sushi is yum and I'm glad I tried it.

I have a place by me that has BBQ rolls. BBQ you say? It's whitefish with BBQ sauce, and they are quite good. They'd be much much better is it was smoked whitefish, but it's grilled. Still... good.

I've tried yellowfin tuna with soy sauce and wasabi once.
It tasted ok but its the temperature and texture that kills me.
Now seared Tuna I can do and is quite good, nice and hot medium rare.

Also something else I think turns me off of sushi is my gutting and cleaning of 100's of fish in my life.
Also have eaten a ton of it so fish is my least eaten meat these days.

Love shrimp and crab though

FadeToBlack said:
I've tried yellowfin tuna with soy sauce and wasabi once.
It tasted ok but its the temperature and texture that kills me.
Now seared Tuna I can do and is quite good, nice and hot medium rare.

Also something else I think turns me off of sushi is my gutting and cleaning of 100's of fish in my life.
Also have eaten a ton of it so fish is my least eaten meat these days.

Love shrimp and crab though

I know how you feel about the fish. I've cleaned so many salmon I could do a king in a coma with a dull spoon in 2 minutes. But I still love the stuff. I could also eat shrimp and crab every day.

When you going to fry up some conch for us? Or conch cakes?

LMAO. My 8yr old passed as I was reading the last few posts and saw Fade saying fish is his 'least eaten meat these days'. He got this look like he didn't know how that was possible!!! That little man is all about the shrimp and fish....if you don't eat those 2 items......he doesn't trust you.:lol:

Tkromer said:
By the way -- you're in Pittsburgh, where did you go?

Taipei Tokyo in Monroeville. Read some pretty favorable reviews of it.

My next stop is probably going to be Chaya in Squirrel Hill. Seems to be the most popular around judging by a lot of the reviews I've seen.

I've been to both. Tapei Tokyo was OK, but on the bland side. Chaya has some great stuff but a very limited menu. They have something called a Sunrise _something_ and it has tuna, salmon, roe and maybe whitefish. Try it.

I just saw this thread today. Definite sushi fan here. My favorites, without shellfish:

Mackerel
"Super white tuna" (be careful; don't order more than about 2 pieces or your intestines will hate you for it)
Salmon
Tuna
Whitefish, yellowtail, flounder, and bass are alright, but not my favorites

For rolls, Philly rolls are among my favorites. Spider rolls too, but again, remembering you said no shellfish, you should probably avoid it. I'm not big on the "designer rolls" (AKA stuff for the the "I want to look cool by eating sushi but raw fish grosses me out" crowd) but something like a chicken teriyaki roll is pretty tasty.

I started out with a veggie roll my first time and slowly worked my way up. There's not a whole lot I won't try. And on that note, don't try salmon roe.

Don't try salmon roe? Boooooooooooooo. They're like tasty poppy seeds!

thehotpepper.com said:
Don't try salmon roe? Boooooooooooooo. They're like tasty poppy seeds!

Are you sure you aren't thinking flying fish roe (tobiko)? I like that and it's more poppy seed sized. Salmon roe (ikura) is like ball bearings filled with sperm.

I like them all. Ever cracked a quail egg over sushi?

I haven't, but only because I haven't found a place that does it. The ones I used to go to in Boston never offered it, nor do the ones here in the middle of nowhere in Texas. Kind of ironic, considering I know of a liquor store here that sells pickled quail eggs.

I got into making my own for a while. Made a pretty awesome chirashi-zushi bowl a few months back with some salmon that my wife's uncle caught in Alaska, some scrambled egg, carrot, and some other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. A rice cooker was one of the best wedding presents we got. I spent the two months after our wedding just making sticky rice every week.

Cool. I have to admit the flying fish roe are the best eggs, yeah, those are the poppy seed like ones (you are correct). Man, they can really take a roll to the next level. Just roll an inside-out roll in some of those and it's much better.

Thanks, now I understand better what to order when my kids drag me to sushi. The first time I was taken was with friends who thought I knew what it was, and didnt explain what I needed explained. (thought sushi meant rice in a seweed roll with things stuffed in the center) I've learned that rolls are safe and I like wasabi- so now I can move up!

(my kids like eel, and they try all kinds of stuff)

Nemo roll, yellowfin shashimi, and wasabi flying fish roe.

20140707_210602.jpg

Back