• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling CypressHill1973 my grill & BBQ in Argentina

No worries Cypresshill, your English is a lot better than my Spanish (and I bet you have your own dialect). The photos speak for themselves.

I really like the mojellas, what cut is it?

Of the South American cuisine I enjoy the Lomo el Trapo the most, but I'm not sure if it's argentinian.

cypresshill1973 said:

It never has better described. Definitely so is

Well... Here cooking with wood coals. fairly low heat. My hand on a par with the meat should hold 3 seconds without burning. 

If burn before counting to 3, mean hot. If I hold more than 3 seconds, it means little heat.

Do not know whether to answer your question. Sorry...

I am learning English at an academy study. But teach me English of England. Grammar and words in the United States be very different, hard to understand many things. Especially very different modes of speech.

PS: I mean, obvious question that confuses me to respond

I cant believe i only just saw this thread!!.... Hot damn!!

Possibly i could answer your question with my incredibly poor spanglish....

THP asked "where the (da) heat?".... referring to your spice....

heat/ ambiente = caliente o calor

heat/ sabor (chiili) = picante

damn in hope that makes sense! LOL

Ohhh!!! my hot pepper sauce!!!  I was distracted  :P

Here my heat...

2014-10-06%252011.55.17.jpg

Incoming, cooking a frozen provoleta (fresh provolone slice).  The reason for this is that allows cooking on firewood without the cheese melts through the bars.

After being frozen when exposed to heat breaststroke of wood, the exposed part of cheese form a crispy crust, the crust does not allow spill down cheese. Then turn around and do the same crust. Next, you have to turn every 1 minute or less to finish cooking. The internal slice already melted and if not turn around constantly, this fall melted through the bars of the grill

Put provoleta cheese(frozn) on the grill, high heat.  Must provide a lot of heat in a short time

2014-12-21%252013.15.40.jpg

turns on

2014-12-21%252013.21.52.jpg

Add olive and oregan and serve on plate

2014-12-21%252013.24.06.jpg

2014-12-21%252013.26.05.jpg

I'm trying to make sense of all this new-to-me cheese stuff going on around here ...

What kind of temperature are you running at the grate there? ...

I'm familiar enough w/ provolone, that I recognize the appearance of it going from opaque to more of a gel-like quality, but I'm more used to thinking of it starts to melt and drip soon thereafter (at least under high heat, like propane flame, for instance) ...

Are you running like bacon smoking temps here, or 225F, or ? ...

Or it all about the frozen-ness ... delivering cooling from the inside out so that you can apply more flame/smoke to the surface? ...

I'm used to thinking of provolone as already having smoke, and being typically available in a smoked provolone log almost everywhere it's available in the 1st place ...

I'm just curious =) ... especially after that tasty bowl of burrata I demolished a couple of hours ago ...

Thanks for sharing ...

Forget the provolone aged for two and half years. The provoleta is fresh provolone aged only 1 and a half years.

Was cook on the grill with charcoal wood below. But much heat is needed to form crust fast. Then I formed a mass of coal down cheese  generating much direct temperature on the cheese . If was meat, this is would burn very quickly at that temperature... Understanding?.

The cold be trapped inside the cheese, cold does not allow burning cheese, but a very tasty crust formed.

Finally, crust lets not escape melted cheese inside, and also achieved an explosion of cheese flavor and crust in your mouth.

Looks like a frittata!

cypresshill1973 said:
Forget the provolone aged for two and half years. The provoleta is fresh provolone aged only 1 and a half years.

Provolone is one of my favorite cheeses... most people here don't really know what it is because at they deli they slice provolone that is soft like swiss, and is mild. Probably aged a couple months. I love the real stuff, I like to buy a portion of the wheel. It's excellent on burgers, and a must in your basic Italian salad (shaved provolone). Have to try it grilled. Looks great!

You must try this if you have not done before! Find enhanced flavor and crunchy cheese. You liked this.

As said, the US provolone is like our provoletta. Then it should work properly. Here again we use flake in salads or as an addition to mozarella in pizzas.

The aged provolone is diferent. Is a hard cheese, spicy and put milled on pasta. It is also good diced served with olive to taste good wines. Cheese is good reset to the palate, and every sip of wine is better than the first after eating hard cheese. When going to enjoy an expensive wine, a plate with provolone and olive oil can not miss.

I love grilled cheese, unfortunately they only sell the premium provolone here (and it's a bit too expensive to experiment). We don't get the shorter aged / cheaper variants. However as I'm a real cheese monster I'll try to duplicate this with a Dutch or German cheese. Taste wise it will be different, but just to check if I can get the method to work. It looks great!

Sunday is "asado". This time i coocking a "vacio"  with chorizo, morcilla and provoletta.

The meat weight 6 pounds (half piece of vacio). I use firewood of local hard wood to grilled

2014-12-21%252012.14.00.jpg

Two hours latter

2014-12-21%252013.18.49.jpg

2014-12-21%252013.54.34.jpg

Best companion of grilled meat is a good wine

2014-12-21%252013.30.11.jpg

2014-12-21%252013.35.48.jpg

2014-12-21%252013.55.09.jpg

2014-12-21%252013.55.33.jpg

2014-12-21%252014.06.27.jpg

Very, very juice, was delicius.........

2014-12-21%252013.58.55.jpg

Pfeffer said:
I love grilled cheese, unfortunately they only sell the premium provolone here (and it's a bit too expensive to experiment). We don't get the shorter aged / cheaper variants. However as I'm a real cheese monster I'll try to duplicate this with a Dutch or German cheese. Taste wise it will be different, but just to check if I can get the method to work. It looks great!

Dutch cheese work. Not like provolone, but be to check are good

On the eve of tomorrow is Christmas, right now I'm cooking the Christmas dinner.

Here is a classic like the turkey. This time I'm cooking a piglet 24 puonds to the cross (or stake called).  These are seasoning with chimichurri and constantly watering whith brine.

2014-12-23%252014.35.24.jpg

Pig cooking this form be slow, around 4 or 5 hours.  I put the pig at fire 2pm, I think are finish at 6pm. Now is 3pm here. Piglet go for 1 hour in flame

After more pics...

Thanks grant! The piglet are cooking a perfect temperature. Here not used a thermometer or others gadget... Only the experience

I injected brine inside the thicker muscle. This will enhance the flavor.

2014-12-23%252015.27.33%2520%2528Custom%2529.jpg

2014-12-23%252015.27.49%2520%2528Custom%2529.jpg

2014-12-23%252015.42.33%2520%2528Custom%2529.jpg

Two hours of cooking begin to see the golden color. Also begins to smelling a delicious smell that fills the neighborhood

2014-12-23%252016.02.19%2520%2528Custom%2529.jpg

2014-12-23%252015.42.49%2520%2528Custom%2529.jpg

I used to cruise down to Miami and spend time w/ friends down there who did whole hogs on the weekend on the regular ... La Caja style, on spits, in the ground ... you name it.

I kind of miss that vibe, people in my neighborhood aren't really all that friendly and my mom is the only family nearby ... nobody would follow the nose to the smell here, they'd get in their car and go source some similar take-out ...

Oh well, on the plus side, nobody bothers you either ... Neighbors used to just walk in and out of my friends place on S. Beach all day ... kind of cool, kind of not cool ...

I've thought about picking up a La Caja ( http://www.lacajachina.com/) and doing some cooks for the folks at work from time to time ... maybe in 2015, I will ...

Here cook similarly, but on a grill. Above is covered with a plate, and the coal plate. That way you cook on both sides simultaneously.
Cooking vertically flame aside, bad fats drain pork and fall to the floor. Besides that the flavor cooking takes heat from the flame at the stake, is much higher than cooked on the grill.
Cooking in this way is a gaucho habit of centuries ago. which still continues day

Back