• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dang weather is driving me NUTS!!!

The rest of the country (US) is having great pepper growing weather, however the Pacific Northwest can NOT seem to get out of this pattern of chilly, rainy dreary weather. the past two weeks have not seen a single day go over 65°f, and the nights are in the mid to low 40's. Add to that it has been raining, or at best cloudy, with not a sun break that I have seen. I have a cover made of a sheet of plywood on 2x4 legs over my potted pepper plants, so they do not drown due to all the rain. My peppers and tomato's have effectively stopped growing because it is too cold. I look at the forecast and I see this:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=98387

A week more of the same! Dang it! If it doesn't warm up soon, I am not going to get any peppers...........

:end rant:

I hear ya! I have 112 pepper plants in freaking #5 pots and have to take them in & out of the damned garage into the backyard on the off chance it might not rain. The last 2 days they have stayed in the garage because all it did was rain. And NO...I do not have the cool trailer set up like one of the other members here on the forum so I can't just open the garage door and pull em out. I have to lug them out 1 at a time! :crazy: :doh:

Come on SUNSHINE...where ya hiding???? I may just have to move to another state in order to satisfy my pepper growing needs!!! :banghead: :cool:

I'm going through the same thing and wondering if I should build a temporary clear plastic roof over the tomatoes and peppers till the sun and warmth come back. It's even too cold in the greenhouse.

it is just the opposite here...May was the 5th dryest on record for Fort Worth and it is already in the high 90s...I work in the back yard every morning from daylight until it hits 90 then get out of it....that is usually about 10am...I will take some of your rain....

You guys should come to the great city of Chicago!!! Where it can go from 50 and rainy one day to 90 and sunny the next...

We've been having the sun show up on and off for the last week. Some days it's been really nice, then other days it just pours. High winds don't help much either. We also had a frost warning last night so I got to run all my plants back into the house. I have 20 plants in large pots, and another 32 in smaller pots that I can move in a tray 4 at a time.

wife is up there right now...said it got to 95 yesterday...

Its some of the most unpredictable weather. Not to mention the fact that we have HOT summers and bitter cold winters! I think we spend over half a billion a year just to fix the roads!

Ya'll are gonna HATE me. I live in the mountains of NC, and for about a solid month straight, its been in the upper 50's for lows at night, and mid 80's for highs. I get a good amount of sun every day, and about 3 o'clock every day sees about an hour of rain. Half of my plants are already producing, especially the Black Pearl. She's got about 30 pods on her now. Just tried one for the first time yesterday. Liked it a LOT.

Eastern Washington has 70% chance of rain for the next 5 days...................my peppers are NEVER gonna get outside!

Hot Pooper said:
Ya'll are gonna HATE me. I live in the mountains of NC, and for about a solid month straight, its been in the upper 50's for lows at night, and mid 80's for highs. I get a good amount of sun every day, and about 3 o'clock every day sees about an hour of rain. Half of my plants are already producing, especially the Black Pearl. She's got about 30 pods on her now. Just tried one for the first time yesterday. Liked it a LOT.

any of those from gpcp? any confirmation on them being truthful on their seed labeling?

Hot Pooper said:

Well if they hate you in NC, they are really gonna hate me here in Miami. Only two seasons here: 1. Hot and Humid and 2. January. I guess as far as peppers go, this has to be the best spot in the US to grow them. Maybe Hawaii would be better for winter temperature, but only by a nose.

A couple of my seeds are from them. We shall see. Hell, with MY luck, they will be true THIS year, and not next. Even if they are true this year, I will probably go ahead and buy from Neil.

Sorry, but I had to chuckle; I spent nearly 50 years in Portland and Astoria. And trust me, I can appreciate what you're going through.

And to Salsalady; my folks had a ranch about 15 miles north of Spokane off of highway 195? towards Canada. Beautiful country but weather extremes and winters to -35f.

:crazy:

AjarnV said:
Sorry, but I had to chuckle; I spent nearly 50 years in Portland and Astoria. And trust me, I can appreciate what you're going through.

And to Salsalady; my folks had a ranch about 15 miles north of Spokane off of highway 195? towards Canada. Beautiful country but weather extremes and winters to -35f.

:crazy:

yes, we're in a valley of the Cascade Mountains, other side of the dry side of WA, but we have the temperature extremes like Spokane. Normal temps are -20F to 108F winter to summer. Coldest recorded temp in WA is in this valley.......-53F.

We moved to the dry side because of all the drizzle. I never thought much about it.......born and raised in it, swore I couldn't live in a desert........but I never had to WORK in it. I know many in the construction industry can relate to working in the 38F drizzle.......it SUCKS!

I'm watching the temp gauge tonight. I left the peppers out.............but I can still run them under cover if it looks too bad.

Right now I am thinking San Diego or Monterey Peninsula are looking good, even if they are in that state of California. No way the wife would agree though...............
7.gif

ditter said:
Well if they hate you in NC, they are really gonna hate me here in Miami. Only two seasons here: 1. Hot and Humid and 2. January. I guess as far as peppers go, this has to be the best spot in the US to grow them. Maybe Hawaii would be better for winter temperature, but only by a nose.
What about 3. Hurricanes?

I'm in S. Calif and I'm still bringing in my plants at night. It's still often in the low 50's and at times mid 40's. I don't need to bring them in to protect them per say, but I'm trying to give them as much heat/warmth as possible. Even so, they are growing very slowly. I'm not looking forward to much of a season this year.

We'll always have some kind of problem with the weather...
Here in Portugal its perfect for chilli's right now, temperatures range from 60º to 90º and plants are loving it.
Then again in about a month it will be so hot i'll have a hard time making my plants set fruit...

Hope the weather gets better soon RS67Man

Back