• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce DAVES INSANITY SAUCE - What do you think ?

i got into trouble with this 1.. but people persist in "Hey why don't ya try Daves Insanity?"

a dude brought some Over Raving about it when came to get some seeds.. so we do the rounds and standing in backyard afterwards having a Chat with the wives and he gets It out,, "here try some of this"
Naaaa never try anything before i test it and thinking of testing it so will Pass, thanks.. He persisted and then my missus gets into the Act "go onn try a Little Bit" Ok so get the Bottle and open smell and thinking Oh O put a blob on the side of hand and Try it,

spat it straight out "That is F*****G disgusting" it was "Neilllllllll that was Rude" im sorry But the Truth, my hand is Burning where the Blob was so yes its hot and my mouth is Burning but it is reallly terrible..

it was the Red labelled 1 ya have in the Pic dude, seriously don't go the Red 1

Yeah both of those sauces suck complete ass. Total Insanity isnt bad though, its the only Daves sauce I have tried that isnt horrible tasting.

smariotti said:
Dave's was a gateway sauce for me. It was easy to find and hotter than anything I'd ever tasted. It was Dave's Insanity Sauce that had me Googling "hot sauce" and got me on this whole slippery slope that's led me to a pepper-growing obsession.

Granted, I've never eaten his sauce on any food, and it was really more of a novelty than anything else, but it was a gateway sauce just the same.

Now that I know what I'm doing (for the most part) I'd still never actually eat the stuff, but I have a full bottle at work (save a spoonful) as a sort of keepsake.

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, I still have the well-worn empty bottle of DIS that started it all for me back in 1996. Just a fun memento.

I've never bought any Dave's since though. Once I discovered actual Habs... Well...heheh...a slippery slope from there.

If it is a gateway type sauce in USA, then thats cool. I know it would have oppisite affect here. I think people would be put off !

theHippySeedCo said:
i got into trouble with this 1.. but people persist in "Hey why don't ya try Daves Insanity?"

a dude brought some Over Raving about it when came to get some seeds.. so we do the rounds and standing in backyard afterwards having a Chat with the wives and he gets It out,, "here try some of this"
Naaaa never try anything before i test it and thinking of testing it so will Pass, thanks.. He persisted and then my missus gets into the Act "go onn try a Little Bit" Ok so get the Bottle and open smell and thinking Oh O put a blob on the side of hand and Try it,

spat it straight out "That is F*****G disgusting" it was "Neilllllllll that was Rude" im sorry But the Truth, my hand is Burning where the Blob was so yes its hot and my mouth is Burning but it is reallly terrible..

it was the Red labelled 1 ya have in the Pic dude, seriously don't go the Red 1

Ill bring up the Black for you next week when I come up Neil!
I will bring a Boxed Jolokia sauce too... ;)
I should have a new batch of GPS & Bhut spice too !!!!

never tried it but have tried other extract sauces. i have small amounts of jersey death. and its not the greatest but its good for soups and such as dilutsion

this sauce was 1 of the 1st hot sauces I tried (pre-full fledge chilehead days) & it was horrible!!!!!!!!! nasty taste & stupid heat (but probablly could handle the heat now)
I gave away the bottle, years ago. then months ago someone bought me another bottle of this sh1t!!! as a gift...I said thanks but dumped it down the drain.I thought about giving it away to someone but figured why would I want to subject someone to this nasty sauce!

as for being a gateway drug/sauce for future chileheads, IMO this sauce is the worst sauce for newbie chileheads to be trying!! theres way more better sauce out there to hook them into being a chilehead.
I think trying this sauce might even scare some away from other hot sauces.

Choked down my 1st bottle of this "gateway" sauce years ago and doubt that I will go back unless Dave comes up with something fairly flavorful.

The problem with what I'm reading is that all of you seem to be eating it strait. I prefer the non-extract sauces, but they mix well. Dave's goes petty well w/ regular BBQ, I would definitely suggest Blair's afterdeath sauce to Daves though.

chilliman said:
So it maybe should be called an additive ? Im confussed:think:
Read the label. Many extract sauces say to use one drop at a time as a additive to sauces, stews, etc., and not straight.

Taking it for what it is and what it's marketed as:

I kinda like it!

It's great for heating up dipping sauces and chip-dip.

paulky_2000 said:
Taking it for what it is and what it's marketed as:

I kinda like it!

It's great for heating up dipping sauces and chip-dip.
That's the way to do it. I think it's only fair to review a sauce if you use it for what it's for.

Part of the label: "Great cooking ingredient for sauces, soups, and stews... Use this product one drop at a time."

It's not made to use liberally as a sauce. Lots of things don't taste good straight but work in sauces and stews.

I could drink orange juice concentrate and tell you it's horribly sweet. Same thing.

my question is with all the other "non-extrtact" sauces out there why would you subject yourself to the keytonish/metallic taste of most of the extracts...natural is a much better way to go IMO...

Back