• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DEEDS ROOT CITY

*Information about added varieties on page 3*

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here... been using this site as an incredible resource for my everlasting search for face-melting heat. Decided to finally put all the knowledge I've gained to use, and grow my first super-hots!

This year was my first ever outdoor garden (and things went great!) along with many typical garden veggies, I grew some Thai chili's and orange habanero's. It's so awesome seeing all your hard work end up at the kitchen table. That being said... I've got growing fever now! Our outdoor season here in Idaho ends in Sept. - Oct. if you're lucky, and doesn't start back up until April-May'ish. That leaves me all winter with nothing to grow. So I decided to move things indoors to hold me over. I've always been fascinated with hydroponics and figured this would be the perfect time to dabble.

Enough with the boring background... and onto the juicy part: details and photos!

My grow includes:
Two 7 pots: Brain Strain and Douglah 
Thai Chili (saved seed from summer plant)
Nature's Bites: a cherry tomato (had some new seeds I wanted to try)

I had some storage under my stairs that I was able to convert into a makeshift grow room. I am using a 600w HPS bulb, and General Hydroponics Flora 3 part nutes.

In addition to my grow, I decided to conduct a mini experiment on seed starting... I read tons of stuff online about soaking seeds to speed up germination. Especially when soaked in a mild Hydrogen Peroxide solution. There was much debate whether soaking made any improvements so I though the best way would be to answer the question myself. I planted 12 seeds of each variety, 6 natural and six soaked for 24hours in a H2O2 solution. The "Natural" (un-soaked) seeds went in 11/13/13, and the soaked went in 11/14/13.

20131113_160120.jpg

11/18/13: my tomatoes popped (no difference between soaked/natural)
20131118_083706.jpg

11/20/13: my first Thai chili's popped (natural first)
20131120_180359.jpg

11/25/13: several Brain Strain's and Douglah's are up (mixed between soaked/natural)
20131125_155137.jpg

12/02/13: starting to see some real progress in the seedlings!
20131202_092522.jpg

12/07/13: even more growth all around
20131210_111921.jpg

12/07/13: first look at my grow area
20131207_154704.jpg

12/09/13: first transplant! (Needless to say I nuked those poor plants with a blast furnace right above them) Its a learning experiment, right!? Good thing I started way more than I needed for backups.
20131209_124233.jpg

12/27/13: after several rounds of trial and error I was able to get my plants to take in my new grow room
1555550_932397032234_2029487405_n.jpg

NOTES:

Brain Strain-
11/22/13: 1st sprout up (Natural)
11/25/13: 4 H202 sprouts up, 2nd Natural
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 6/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Douglah:
11/25/13: 3 Natural sprouts, and first tip of H202 sprout up
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 3/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Nature's Bites (tomato):
11/18/13: 6/6 Natural + 5/6 H202 (over weekend)
11/22/13: Most plants have first true leaves (still small)
11/25/13: First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/2/13: Multiple sets true leaves
12/3/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Third fertilizer soak (diluted)

Thai Chili (Hybrid? saved seed from summer garden):
11/19/13: First glimpse of sprout (Natural)
11/22/13: 5/6 Natural + 2/3 H202
12/2/13: Most plants have established true leaves

Fertilizing (nutes): General Hyroponics Flora Series 3pt (Grow/Bloom/Micro):
Waited to add any nutrition until first true leaves had formed, but added fertilized water immediately after since rockwool is sterile and inert, I figured the little plants would get hungry fast.

While plants were still in the propagation tray I would flood the bottom with nutrient solution and allow the rockwool to soak up as much as it could, and drain out whatever water was left. I would do this as often as the rockwool felt dry: initially about once a week, moving to multiple times per week as the plants grew larger. At this point I was using 1ml grow + 1ml bloom + 2ml micro / gallon water. ~300ppm

When plants were first moved into their grow buckets, I used 2tbsp grow, 1.5 tbsp micro, and .5tbsp bloom / ~4 gallons water. ~7-800ppm
    -May be a little high for some varieties, Thai and tomato loved it, 7pots got some serious nute burn. Maybe try 500ppm

First signs of blooms/blossom drop on tomato nutes were changed to 3tbsp bloom + 1.5tbsp micro + .5tbsp grow / ~3 gallons water. ~880ppm

Tap water here is about pH8+ so I was being lazy at first, and not testing or adjusting my pH. Once I noticed some iron/magnesium deficiency symptoms in my peppers, I realized I needed to be checking my pH as some nutes were getting locked out. After testing, and realized I needed to add about 1/2 cap full of pH Down to each nute refresh and check to make sure pH was starting around 5.5 and climbing over the time it was used. This cleared the symptoms pretty quickly.

Transplanting:
12/9/13 first transplant: WAAAAYYYY too early, absolutely fried those things. Need to wait much longer 3+ true leaf sets, and keep the light high until they plants are used to it.

thirdcoasttx said:
From what I read ber is usually due to calcium deficiency.

I would agree. And I have been adding a Calcium/Magnesium supplement. Maybe it has to do with all the new growth and new tomatoes coming in there isn't enough? The only reason I don't necessarily buy that idea is that even when there were about 10+ much larger tomatoes ripening at the same time I never saw that issue...

My other thought is that maybe since I had the nutes bumped up to higher PPM's, somehow the calcium was getting locked out? If that's the case...hopefully the newer slightly lower formula will help. I will keep an eye on things and try to get the the bottom of it either way.

Here is the link to what I was reading.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000082444023571.html
It mentions calcium uptake is reduced if the ph is out of the range of 6.5 but its also talking about soil so im not sure how that compares to hydro. Anywho let us know when you get to the bottom of it!

+1 on 200.

My tom's suffer from BER, our soil and water is high PH. Normally I see it on the first few tomatoes. Last year I used Calmag, alot, and still had it, but it showed in the second round of fruit setting instead of the first. I watered with it. This year I'm going to try foilar and watering with Calmag. But what I really need to do is fix the soil, I wanted to add sulfur this pre-season, but ran out of 'round-tuit's.

Edit: It may well be that the plant is putting out so many fruits that it exacerbated the issue.

Do they absorb cal/mag through leaves as well? Interesting. 

On my last checkup the other 3 "large" tomatoes are starting to ripen, and none showing any symptoms of BER. Weird, it was just the one... but I'll take it!!

Looking great Captain Greenhand! I wouldn't sweat that BER unless it shows up on more fruit. You can be doing everything right with some varieties and it'll still show up now and then. As long as most of your fruit stays clean you should be fine. I don't know about foliar feeding with calmag, but adding it to your water should help knock it out. By the looks of it, you'll have more than enough tomatoes even if you lose a few.

I read about it the other day (foliar feeding calmag), and according to the poster it's supposed to work better. I would say yes, they take up Epson, Seaweed Extract, and other nutes in that fashion. And I do want to point out my BER tomato issues are global, I see it on all the plants when it occurs.

stc3248 said:
Looking great Captain Greenhand! I wouldn't sweat that BER unless it shows up on more fruit. You can be doing everything right with some varieties and it'll still show up now and then. As long as most of your fruit stays clean you should be fine. I don't know about foliar feeding with calmag, but adding it to your water should help knock it out. By the looks of it, you'll have more than enough tomatoes even if you lose a few.

Thanks Shane! Still nothing new and the rest of the current crop continues to ripen. So not sweating it at all  :D I'm slowly learning to just go with the flow... I'm realizing that despite my best efforts, things can't constantly be perfect. Can't sweat the small stuff!

Devv said:
I read about it the other day (foliar feeding calmag), and according to the poster it's supposed to work better. I would say yes, they take up Epson, Seaweed Extract, and other nutes in that fashion. And I do want to point out my BER tomato issues are global, I see it on all the plants when it occurs.

I guess that makes sense, seeing as how they absorb plenty of other stuff 'foliarly' (I might have just made up a word, haha)  never had any real issues with BER myself... but I will definitely keep this in mind! Thanks!
Both my Thai and Brain are just growing and putting out pods like gangbusters, but neither of them wants to ripen anything up yet! LOTS of green pods still. My patience (or lack thereof) is really making the waiting game a tough one!!  :mope:

Got some more questions for you nick, when the roots start growing further down into the bucket do you decrease the amount of water in the bucket to encourage the roots to continue to grow down? Once they have reached the bottom of the bucket how much water do you use? And does the mass of roots affect the aeration of the water?

thirdcoasttx said:
Got some more questions for you nick, when the roots start growing further down into the bucket do you decrease the amount of water in the bucket to encourage the roots to continue to grow down? Once they have reached the bottom of the bucket how much water do you use? And does the mass of roots affect the aeration of the water?

Technically the water level does not need to be up to the netpot, but I actually keep mine higher than recommended, and keep it about halfway through the hydroton. So my water levels are higher than normal. Not really sure why I do it this way... I just started that way, and have good results so I havent changed it (and my roots seem to be doing just fine!) You would think having all those roots in the water would affect aeration (and it might) but I havent noticed any issues resulting from this.

I did another nutrient solution refresh today:

Kept the concentrations at last weeks rates on all but the Douglah. Definitely noticing some over-feeding leaf curl so I dropped it again. Water levels were a little higher this time too, which lowered the concentrations even further.

3/18/14
Tomato: 1.5 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~950ppm - 5.5pH
Thai'brid: 1.5 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~1050ppm - 5.5pH
Douglah: 1.5 tbsp micro, 2 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~750ppm - 5.5pH
BrainStrain: 1.5 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag ~1000ppm - 5.5pH

NOTES:

Tomato is absolutely flourishing. Easily another 50 tomatoes on the vines, with plenty more about to come in.

Thai is really giving me some fits. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I just cannot figure out what is going on with it! It has the most curled and gnarly thai pods I've ever seen. It's also taking longer for any of them to ripen (or so I thought) upon further inspection yesterday, I found an extremely small, brand new RED pod, much newer than many of the other pods. But before I noticed the new red one, I actually took one of the curled ones and gave it a taste test (thinking somehow the peppers were a hybrid with something, and that maybe they would never turn red?) but it tasted VERY jalapeno like, and nothing like a normal thai chili flavor. So now I'm extra confused. :think:

Douglah now has at least 2 pods forming!!! FINALLY!!!!  :woohoo:

Brain is also chugging along like a champ. Still no color changes, but lots of pods.

Tomato:
20140317_172634.jpg

Damn thing is beginning to look like the Mayflower with all the rigging I have to the thing upright! haha 

20140317_174339.jpg

Thai:
20140317_174008.jpg

20140317_174044.jpg

Never seen thai pods look anything like these...

20140317_173414.jpg

First ever baby red (looks alot more like a normal Thai)

Douglah:

20140317_173055.jpg

20140317_173106.jpg

20140317_172622.jpg

Here are a few of the seedlings left at the office:
20140318_154710.jpg

Still no fatalii's, and my damn Reapers all dried out over one of the weekends  :banghead:

Have a Rocoto though!
20140318_154717.jpg

I hope those Reapers come back! I had a plant get really dry last week, set it in the shade and soaked it. It surprised how fast it came back.

thirdcoasttx said:
Looking good! That tomato plant is out of control!!! Are you using organic nutes or synthetic?
I use synthetic, pretty sure. Whatever General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series is.
Devv said:
I hope those Reapers come back! I had a plant get really dry last week, set it in the shade and soaked it. It surprised how fast it came back.
I'm really hoping so too! I had some thai's that dried out, and bounced right back with a little water. The reapers are being a bit stubborn, but gonna keep trying!

I use synthetic, pretty sure. Whatever General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series is.
I'm really hoping so too! I had some thai's that dried out, and bounced right back with a little water. The reapers are being a bit stubborn, but gonna keep trying!

Yeah I think im going to switch to gh the stuff I am using now is organic and it is very dark. The roots that have grown into the water are getting covered with a brown tint. It wipes off but I dont want to clean roots everyday because I read anything that covers the roots can essentially suffocate them. As far as reapers go I have had zero success with them, if they do germ they die. I do however have some seeds from a different source maybe I'll try them again some day.

Wow, things have been crazy at work. Havent had much time for the plants,let alone to update and browse the Glogs. Been out of town for a while, but luckily the plants didnt seem to mind almost 2 weeks between changes.

I did another nutrient solution refresh today:

Lowered the concentrations a little further, seeing some continued signs of leaf curling on both the super's. Also lowered the water level a bit to just about 3 gallons. 

3/29/14
Tomato: 1 tbsp micro, 2 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~963ppm - 5.5pH
Thai'brid: 1 tbsp micro, 2 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~842ppm - 5.5pH
Douglah: 1 tbsp micro, 1 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag  ~656ppm - 5.5pH
BrainStrain: 1 tbsp micro, 2 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag ~865ppm - 5.5pH

NOTES:

Tomato is still pumping out lots of new growth, and fruit. Have at least 5 clusters of 10+, and then a few random smaller clusters. Growing like crazy (which is kind of a bummer since there's no room, just means alot of pruning)

Thai is still putting out loads and loads of flowers and pods, all remain green except the single red one I noted last refresh, and then a bicolor pod i spotted today. Looks like it might be trying to change from green to red?

Douglah now has at least 4 pods forming! And the original 2 are showing signs of slow but steady growth as far as size and rdiging. 

Brain is now ripening pods!!! I first noticed a slight color change on one pod on 3/24... but now there are at least 4 pods in some stage of color change!

TOMATO:
20140329_155156.jpg

THAI:

20140329_155742.jpg

DOUGLAH:
20140329_160523.jpg

20140329_160940.jpg

BRAIN:

20140325_162508.jpg

20140329_161441.jpg

20140329_161627.jpg

20140329_161607.jpg

20140329_161535.jpg

EVERYTHING:

20140329_154950.jpg

Heading out of town again Monday, could be for a week, so hopefully things continue to progress without any major bumps, I'm going to have to try and give my girlfriend a crash-course on hydro maintenance.  :drunk:       :shh:

In the same boat as you trying hydro for the first time and first time growing chile's.

I was running a lean mix of 1-1-1 tsp/G on a monthly change...this worked OK till the plant flowered and started bulking up...leaves went a little yellow.

Called GENERAL HYDROPONICS the next day and the tech said that was too lean and the back of the bottle chart was wrong.

He said as soon as it flowers go to a 0.5-1.5-2.0 tsp/G (G-M-B) per week mix which should be 1,000-1,200 ppm + the water.

Ive got my triffid in a south facing window here in AZ and so far it likes it.

The white powder on the leaves and stems worries me a little...nute bleeding?...maybe try some Florakleen?

Here's my bhut from yesterday at 120 days.

IMG_20140328_093652_262.jpg

IMG_20140328_100038_496.jpg

Oh my main trunk aka fan leaves also popped off...i think it's caused by the fast trunk grow.

Have you tested you based water for ppm and cal as well as PH?

Dreamweaver said:
In the same boat as you trying hydro for the first time and first time growing chile's.

I was running a lean mix of 1-1-1 tsp/G on a monthly change...this worked OK till the plant flowered and started bulking up...leaves went a little yellow.

Called GENERAL HYDROPONICS the next day and the tech said that was too lean and the back of the bottle chart was wrong.

He said as soon as it flowers go to a 0.5-1.5-2.0 tsp/G (G-M-B) per week mix which should be 1,000-1,200 ppm + the water.

Ive got my triffid in a south facing window here in AZ and so far it likes it.

The white powder on the leaves and stems worries me a little...nute bleeding?...maybe try some Florakleen?

Here's my bhut from yesterday at 120 days.

IMG_20140328_093652_262.jpg

IMG_20140328_100038_496.jpg

Oh my main trunk aka fan leaves also popped off...i think it's caused by the fast trunk grow.

Have you tested you based water for ppm and cal as well as PH?

Plants are looking pretty good!

"He said as soon as it flowers go to a 0.5-1.5-2.0 tsp/G (G-M-B) per week mix which should be 1,000-1,200 ppm + the water."

This sounds about right, as on my last nute change I used the same dosing but in tablespoons and 3 gallons of water. Although I thik his quote on PPM's is way off. With that mixture my PPM was ~850ish. Over 1,000 is too high, I started noticing signs of serious nute burn that high.

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]I've tested my water before and its about 125 PPM, and 8+ pH. Just using the dropper testing method.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]I actually trimmed all the trunk leaves for two reasons: they werent getting much light, and in my small closet it makes it alot easier to get to the back plants if I have the lower leaves off.[/SIZE]

Leaf curling could have been heat or excess nitrogen?...the 0.5 tsp/G of G is the key maybe.

Here's their chart from the website...

Note the ** note which i guess is more applicable to chiles and his recommendation.

Nutechart.jpg

0.5tsp/G = 0.5tbsp/3G

both equal out to 7.5ml

Dreamweaver said:
Leaf curling could have been heat or excess nitrogen?...the 0.5 tsp/G of G is the key maybe.

Here's their chart from the website...

Note the ** note which i guess is more applicable to chiles and his recommendation.

Nutechart.jpg

0.5tsp/G = 0.5tbsp/3G

both equal out to 7.5ml

Back