• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Dental Adhesives

First off,IF you have Dental insurance DON"T TRUST YOUR DENTIST!

Since my employer decided to LET us pay for Dental insurance...
I decided to see a Dentist for the first time since I was a kid.
I was told I needed all Kinds of crap done.
To the tune of over $10,000.
I told them I'll see you later,just after hell freezes over...

I compromised,($3000.00)decided to get what I couldn't afford done...

I told them to pull the teeth that long ago lost their filling/crown thingies and were just what was left of the original tooth.

Started out they said 9 teeth were history.
They needed to clean up my roots etc.
Would make partials for me...No problem,I'd be good as new...

All of a sudden I needed to get bone graphs or whatever to make the teeth I had left solid enough to support my partial dentures.
Another $3000.00.
BUT THEY SAID THEY WOULD GET THE OK FROM DELTA AND I'd only have to actually pay less than $1000.00 co pay.
WRONG!
AFTER they did the work Delta says I shouldn't have gotten the grafts/whatever done and they wouldn't pay....
So now 3500 turned into about $7000.
BUT the kicker is.they exposed all my teeth by messing with them so they hurt like hell,ALL THE TIME.
They say the cavities are under the gums and they have to pull teeth to get to the less worse stuff or I'll loose all my teeth.
BUT they want another - guess the magic #-$3000.+ more ....
I don't have the $....
They say the only way to end the pain is pull ALL my teeth.
By now I'll do anything to end the pain.
They ground out every cavity and purposely didn't fill them because they knew it would put me in hell and I'd do what they wanted,no matter what the cost.

I get pissed and tell them I'm going to get a non insurance Dentist to check out what they did and see a Lawyer.
All of a sudden there is no more charges for the work they say I need done.
By now ALL my teeth hurt.
They creatively do paperwork so I end up getting ALL my teeth pulled and get full dentures.
These dentures SUCK BIG TIME!

They don't fit right.Were designed so I need to use DENTAL ADHESIVE or they come loose.
Their plan was to get me to have implants installed for more $ that I don't have,on a payment plan...

Back to adhesives.

Gotta be the nastiest stuff known to man.

It holds your teeth in UNTIL you want to eat something.

Then it lets your fake teeth collect stuff under them so if you eat the wrong stuff you are screwed.
If you drink a beer with your food the stuff seems to be gone,dissolved or something.
BUT it returns when you take out your dentures.

I don't care if you use a microscope and only use a miniscule amount of adhesive to hold your dentures in.
When you take out your dentures at night your mouth and gums will be covered in jello like slime that is almost impossible to remove.
It multiplies,the more you remove the more is left in your mouth.

Sticks to your gums,not the dentures when you remove them.

I think one of Hitlers concentration camp guys came up with the stuff as a form of torture.

I don't care what brand of the crap you use,it all sucks.Some worse than others.

Anyone find a way to get the crap off your gums and the roof of your mouth?

I lost my insurance and couldn't afford the $100.+ a tooth Co Pay for implants so I'm stuck with crappy dentures.
At least they don't hurt like they did at first.They just suck big time.
Don't fit right.
Love that whistle when I say the wrong words...
Nothing like the clacking when I'm eating and they come loose.
Suckers are sharp as heck and if they come loose at the wrong time-mid bite ,you get a cut up tongue.

Anyone out there find a way to get that slime out of your mouth when you remove your wooden teeth?
Booze seems to dissolve it BUT is not an option with the meds. I'm on.
Don't even make my homebrew beer anymore.(I'm in Hell).
Several people said they gargle a shot of booze and the stuff washes away easily.
Any other things I can do to get this crap off the roof of my mouth and gums?

Sorry bout your teeth Smoke, growing up my grandma had dentures and never used anything to Hold em in... Well maybe being young I didnt see what went on behind the scenes..

Until I got dentures I never understood why Grandpa didn't wear his often.
My Grandma used to hassle him about it.
Now I know why.
Back then they were probably even worse than now.
Mine were designed on a computer from X rays then miss fitted by the Dentist.

I was thinking I should have had the dentist give me all the teeth he pulled.
I could show them to my sisters kids to let them see what happens if you don't take care of your teeth.

My problems mostly came from being a smoker for 30+ years.
My gums shrank down,When I quit they grew(the gums)back to normal and covered the crap on my teeth that had collected over 50+ years and messed up my teeth under the gums.
I never flossed and most of the stuff was between my teeth.

At least that is what the dentist said.

But he also said $3000.00 at first,then $10,000 and ended up with a little shy of $8000 before I lost my insurance.

Still looking for an adhesive remover.

SM - thanks for sharing your gut-wrenching and eye opening story. A cautionary tale if ever there was one! I, fortunately, live in a tiny town - if a dentist did that to someone here, they'd end up carpet rolled!!!!!

I have no first hand denture experience (yet), but have heard that some folks prefer the powder to the glue, due to less mess. Tons of trial and error, as each case is sooooo individual!

I've heard that alcohol based mouthwash can help dissolve the residue, as does Diet Coke. (?!?!?!) I don't know your routine, but it seems paper towels or dental gauze are preferred over tissue paper. As I said, I have no experience - just really feel for ya, and wanted to try to help. Something to maybe consider....check out a local dental school for assistance with proper fitting dentures. (my brother did this) They have more on the line than private practice dentists, usually reduced costs, and seem to care much more. 

Best of Luck to you! 

(edit...my grammar sucks before morning coffee! haha)

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. Also no major dental work here, but my mom ended up with ALL her teeth pulled and has full dentures top and bottom. My understanding is the fit is key, but yeah, before even that a competent dentist helps. 

There again - - - let this be fair warning to all who avoid the dentist. It really is less expensive, less hassle, and much less pain if you go on a regular basis for preventive work. Better to prevent a problem or fix it very early on than wait until it gets this bad. It's tough when finances are tight, but look at the likely outcome of avoiding it.

True, true....

But when folks have to make choices between keeping their electricity going, or a dental cleaning....well....

I think what SM is after is some tricks/tips for dealing with glue residue. I appreciate what he's learned/gone thru, but today is today.
How does one remove that schtuff???????

I'm with you smokemaster I hate trying to get the slime out when I remove my dentures. I have tried alot of things but what works best for me is ice water.I swish ice water around in my mouth to loosen my denture and it seems to kinda freeze the goo so it comes out easier. Still a little on my gums but a firm bristled tooth brush takes care of that.

My wife is a dental hygienist and said that there was no need for bone graphs, even for the partials. She says what they could've done is put a filling on the teeth that the partials would connect to and they cut a notch out of that filling so the partials would "hook" into it.

Also it's actually illegal / malpractice to not do anything if someone is in pain. Of course there are the drug seekers that are the exception, but even if they only want drugs, the Dr still has to see the patient.

I read your post to her cause I knew she would find it interesting and that was her response to it

I'd  keep complaining to the dentist until they get your dentures to fit correctly.  I have had 2 sets of dentures since 1980  and never use anything to hold them in place.  After a while your gums will shrink and they will need to be relined but you should NOT need goop to hold them in place from the start.  The dentist is at fault for making a poor fitting denture and they should be happy to work with you to make it right.  I was also a heavy smoker at one time, quit Halloween 2002.  I still have 7 of my own teeth on the bottom and IMO partials are a PITA.  But  the dentist wanted to save them if  possible so they are still there.  Hope someone cares enough to make you a good fitting set of dentures or corrects what you have so you don't have to deal with a bad fit.

Found the Sea Bond stuff the other day.

First off the stuff is cut for people with giant mouths/dentures.
Had to do a lot of pre wetting trimming.

Had to trim as much after they were wet.
A hassle,but if they work it's worth it.

They don't smooth down and spread out like the goop does.
They cause minor pain where my dentures actually fitted right to my gums.

I just tried the strips.I'll wear them a while to see if they even out or whatever.
My dentures DO feel REALLY TIGHT.

Better than the goop.

In an hour or so it's dinner time.
I'll report back about them after I give them a couple uses.
In a few days.
The pain might be from improper trimming of the strips before putting in my dentures.
Might be my fault.
The goop took a few uses to find out how to use it.(use a LOT less than is pictured in the instructions).

Thanks for all your advice etc.

Toofless Smokemaster saths tanks a wot... :)

EDIT:
I just noticed they really raise the uppers so the back of the dentures messes with your tongue when you talk.
Raises them up BIG time-increases the dentures thickness.
Gotta see if it is something I can get used to so I don't sound like I'm slurring my words or whatever...
Guess it's a battle between whistles with goop or slurred with strips.

I gotta give these a fair test run before I shit can them...

Can't afford getting them re fitted without my insurance...

Edit #2
Save every tooth that had to be pulled.
Show it to your kids or your family members kids...
Tell them,if you don't want to brush or go to the dentist,thats fine...BUT it sure HURT A LOT WHEN THAT TOOTH WENT BAD.
Big rooted grinders would probably work best. LOL

Back