• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Thegreenchilemonster said:
That's weird how one aji limo plant hasn't podded up yet, but the other is loaded. Maybe the one with no pods will give you huge load later in the Summer.

PM me your addy. I'm sure you will be able to do some great work with the aji pacae. Here is a pic of some aji pacae I grew last year, compared to some aji amarillo for scale. Just to give you an idea of what you'll be working with.

Impressive pepper Dale, PM sent!

And thanks!

288.jpg

Slim pickin's today but the Bell's are a good size ;)

Peaches are finally put up, now to start with the rest..

289.jpg

Gochu's, been saving seeds. I slacked on that last year.

290.jpg

Kitchen Sink beginnings..

stickman said:

Nice ripe Gochus and 3-4 lobed Bell peppers Scott! You're surely crushing it!

Thanks Rick!

The garden has done really well so far this season; surely can't blame the dirt for any shortcomings ;)

The weather however is crazy; 10° below for a month now 7-10° high. Overall I can't complain; and will have plenty of produce. Always good to plant more than one needs here :rolleyes:

You never know what's up mother natures sleeve :shh:

Of all of the produce that you're processing, are any of them chinense? Just wondering if you're dealing with the large harvests that they tend to yield. I'm sure EVERYTHING is producing large quantities, but for me, Chinense give me more.

Bhuter said:
Of all of the produce that you're processing, are any of them chinense? Just wondering if you're dealing with the large harvests that they tend to yield. I'm sure EVERYTHING is producing large quantities, but for me, Chinense give me more.

Hi Adam,

Very few Chinense at the moment. And most years I have a hard time with them, unless I let them run into the fall. The only steady producer is the Aji Dulce. As for the others it's a mix of small pods and flowers, as well as some trying to flower. I think they held back because of the cool weather we had a while back. Well after the last frost date we had a few times where it got into the 40's over night. Now I'm concerned about the heat! They show a 10 day forecast with 101° next Sunday.

The Annuum's always do well here, I guess they're not as sensitive to setting in the heat. It's just before 7PM and still 96° in San Antonio....

292.jpg

293.jpg

Todays pulls.

Onions are done, potatoes are done. Garlic is next. Then just peppers and maters. Maters should run another 2-3 weeks.

294.jpg

LB wanted Jal powder for peanut brittle ;)

Trying to recall a study I read earlier this year, but it involved Jalapeno fruit setting in greenhouses - was a study on plant density and pruning technique yield. If I recall, the plants grow best at 86F but fruit will set clear up to 106F on the Jalapeno varieties they had in the study. In the study I read, they started getting flower drop at that point and had to kick on greenhouse fans to reduce the temp.

I've seen Chinense mass drop flowers in the mid to upper 90's though. So yeah, think you're right on with them being a bit more sensitive to heat.

TrentL said:
Trying to recall a study I read earlier this year, but it involved Jalapeno fruit setting in greenhouses - was a study on plant density and pruning technique yield. If I recall, the plants grow best at 86F but fruit will set clear up to 106F on the Jalapeno varieties they had in the study. In the study I read, they started getting flower drop at that point and had to kick on greenhouse fans to reduce the temp.

I've seen Chinense mass drop flowers in the mid to upper 90's though. So yeah, think you're right on with them being a bit more sensitive to heat.

That's been my experience here over the last 30 years ;)

We actually 3 short seasons. Spring, Fall, and a Winter grow. If I was so inclined I could set tomatoes out in July and have a bumper fall crop. The farmers plant cukes August 15th-21st. They get a better yield than they do in a spring grow as the heat ramps up too fast.

TrentL said:
BTW, much admiration for the May harvest.. I'm still a LONG way off from that, but it's making my belly rumble to see all that good food you are pulling!!!

Don't worry Trent, you'll have more produce than the law allows soon ;)

That, and next year will be even better with al the knowledge you've gained this go-round.

Devv said:

Don't worry Trent, you'll have more produce than the law allows soon ;)

That, and next year will be even better with al the knowledge you've gained this go-round.

Hopefully with less to figure out next year, less will go wrong. :)

It's been rough this year man. I've thought about quitting or giving up more than once, but I'm so far in at this point I have to keep going. Each time I get down on myself I give myself a big kick in the ass and redouble efforts to get things back on track. It's .. difficult. 

I never, in a million years, would have thought doing a commercial grow would be so much work. 

Sure keeps life interesting though! Not a day goes by that I don't have some big problem to unravel. I might be tired, but I'm sure as hell not bored.

Back