• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Walchit said:
Plants look great Scott!

Get those Bastard aphids back outside around some predators!

Thanks Andy!

I hit them the other day with some Neem Oil, it was cloudy out and it seems to have done the trick..

They never had the buggers until I brought them outside :rolleyes:  But I've been a bit heavy handed with the N, and that seems to draw them in..

Edit: PT!

CDNmatt said:

Hot diggity look at those maters...how old are those plants in particular Scotty?

Everything just looks fantastic though dude, very happy for ya.

They're about 5 weeks since I planted the seeds. I started them in 3.5" square pots. I usually start 6 weeks before March 1st. When I went to the #1 pots, I trimmed the lower leaves and set the plant at the bottom of the larger pot and filled the soil up as high as I could without getting it into the crown. As they have grown I add more potting soil mix. When they hit the dirt I will bury everything But the tops. All the stem will grow into roots. It looks like I have to wait until the next from passes to plant, around the 5th if the forecast holds.... I want a clean 10 day forecast.

Devv said:

They're about 5 weeks since I planted the seeds. I started them in 3.5" square pots. I usually start 6 weeks before March 1st. When I went to the #1 pots, I trimmed the lower leaves and set the plant at the bottom of the larger pot and filled the soil up as high as I could without getting it into the crown. As they have grown I add more potting soil mix. When they hit the dirt I will bury everything But the tops. All the stem will grow into roots. It looks like I have to wait until the next from passes to plant, around the 5th if the forecast holds.... I want a clean 10 day forecast.

I was going to actually guess in the 4-6 week range...but they would probably be bigger I spose if you did not bury them deep which is a concern growing indoors for me. Normally I wait until April to start but this year will be the first spring with the hoop house so counting on that to get my maters out of the house around the 5-6 week period of growth.

Starting early with these may even be a bigger challenge then growing the peppers with my limited space..... :think:

I look forward to watching all your stuff this year though Scott

CDNmatt said:

I was going to actually guess in the 4-6 week range...but they would probably be bigger I spose if you did not bury them deep which is a concern growing indoors for me. Normally I wait until April to start but this year will be the first spring with the hoop house so counting on that to get my maters out of the house around the 5-6 week period of growth.

Starting early with these may even be a bigger challenge then growing the peppers with my limited space..... :think:

I look forward to watching all your stuff this year though Scott

Thanks Matt ;)

Once I place them in the #1 pots they lose about 4-5"s in height. But all that I bury starts to root. I also start to top water at that time, so that will get going.

Here they are today:

71.jpg

We have a pretty serious cold front coming in this weekend. I may lose my Peaches, 29° Monday morning. I hope living on a ridge pays off!
But if the 10 day looks good on the 7th they hit the dirt.

66.jpg

I planted like 50 Red Bhut seeds. One helmet head came up. Some serious surgery was administered to the "lone ranger". You can see the cotys are trashed; but there is the true leaf. I should have entered medicine :rolleyes: :liar:

67.jpg

MoA! Very late entry. Also a "lone ranger".

68.jpg

JA Hab, the last of the "lone rangers".

They will be isolated for seed stock.

69.jpg

70.jpg

The good the bad and the ugly. They sure get beat up once they get put outside. All now fully hardened and most in #2 pots.

You want to run through some potting soil? Move to #2 pots...LOL

Devv said:
The good the bad and the ugly. They sure get beat up once they get put outside. All now fully hardened and most in #2 pots. Yeah, womb time is over sukkahs. Get over it! The

You want to run through some potting soil? Move to #2 pots...LOL
I hear ya, bro. My four #3s and two #2s ate
up quite a bit of my 2 bags of FoxFarms
soil.

Plants are looking great [emoji106].
Hey Devv, I’m going to be in Texas the 3rd week in July, mostly San Antonio (3 days)then off to Alpine to see my kid graduate the police academy (hopefully). Any suggestions on places to go to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walchit said:
I felt like the soil went pretty fast in 3.25" square pots, #2 probably really eats it up. One #15 takes a whole bag of ocean forest lol

And I did a 100 gallon bag for the Growdown last year...like 5 bags of ProMix...too expensive if ya can't get it for 5 bucks a bag, yeah another clearance score had last year...gotta shop :party:

PtMD989 said:
Plants are looking great [emoji106].
Hey Devv, I’m going to be in Texas the 3rd week in July, mostly San Antonio (3 days)then off to Alpine to see my kid graduate the police academy (hopefully). Any suggestions on places to go to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit the River Walk and eat at the County Line BBQ...the Zoo is also pretty awesome. 

Looking Great Scott...you are all over them maters. Damn...that's gonna be fun to pick.

stc3248 said:
Hit the River Walk and eat at the County Line BBQ...the Zoo is also pretty awesome. 

Looking Great Scott...you are all over them maters. Damn...that's gonna be fun to pick.

Shane,

I hope your weather is cool enough for a killer grow. Here, maters love it. Chinense are a struggle, which is why I started them so early. The Annuums don't care...

Devv said:

Thanks!

Normally toms go out this weekend. But it looks like we have to wait; a freeze is expected Monday-Wednesday. Crazy weather here!

Thought I was the only one suffering from this crazy weather roller coaster! We get a week of 70-80+ degree days with lows in the mid 50s-60's then this week...
RNI6Qcx.png

Two freezes and highs in the 40-50s??? Ughhh. I was planning on plant out around the 15th with a favorable 10 day, but we'll have to wait and see.

Devv said:
One of these days I'm gonna try the foxfarms, I never see it local.
 Do you order it online? Remember I live in podunk Tejas ;)
There are lots of hydro grow/garden stores in out area since
growing weed is legal here I just sort of piggyback on them
for stuff that big box and Ace stores fail to carry.

stc3248 said:
Thought I was the only one suffering from this crazy weather roller coaster! We get a week of 70-80+ degree days with lows in the mid 50s-60's then this week...
RNI6Qcx.png

Two freezes and highs in the 40-50s??? Ughhh. I was planning on plant out around the 15th with a favorable 10 day, but we'll have to wait and see.

Ours isn't any better..

72.jpg

All the Peach trees either are flowering or have set. I'm hoping we skate around this crap.

Everything is inside...and like hardly any of it fits under the lights now..LOL

Normally maters would hit the dirt this weekend...Sigh..

After close to 2 hours of bringing stuff in the shop we went and bought this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-1-400-lb-capacity-heavy-duty-steel-utility-cart

It will hold at least 18 plants in #2 pots. Gotta work smarter, not harder..way over due for one of these ;)

Back