• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

EGAD, Scott! And here I was getting set for a drive down to Port A...

It isn't safe anywhere this year, is it? Heck, we're finally up to 10 above, but that won't melt no snow!!

Paul's right, you cannot beat a cage trailer. My container girls were toured around the propity in a two-wheel frame trailer last year, till the tractor took a dump.

Keep 'em warm, brutha!

stc3248 said:
Weather is rolling in here...tornado warning...page topper!

Oh I hope no 'naders for anyone!

Cold is here, high at the house was 40°, low of 32°. I hope the clouds stay and it doesn't clear.

Maybe, just maybe the Peaches will hold. But they say...25° in the morning..I have potatoes coming up too, they're all under mulch. My fingers are crossed!

Good luck Shane!

PaulG said:
Shane is back!

That garden cart looks awesome, Scott.
1400 pound capacity is awesome.

This should really help my bones..LOL
And, I moved another table onto the driveway apron for more plants. I was hauling them (maters) about 40 yards to the side of the house. The garden is even further, like another 60 steps..
Next year I'll have a mo-better way to suspend the shade cloth during the hardening process. Mainly because I'll be retired and will have mo-playtime ;) 

stettoman said:
EGAD, Scott! And here I was getting set for a drive down to Port A...

It isn't safe anywhere this year, is it? Heck, we're finally up to 10 above, but that won't melt no snow!!

Paul's right, you cannot beat a cage trailer. My container girls were toured around the propity in a two-wheel frame trailer last year, till the tractor took a dump.

Keep 'em warm, brutha!

Hey by Thursday back to the mid 70's-80's. We just get three days down here. But this one is quite wicked so late.

10° I do remember that poop, and that's why I'm down here. Dang this cold made me hurt this morning, all that "fun" I had is coming back to haunt..LOL :shh:

PtMD989 said:
What low temps can the peaches handle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that exact thought

Man I hope you don't lose them Scotty would be a shame to do so

I always get those near end of season freak frost where it will drop a hard one like the first few days of Sept then be just fine for another 2-3 weeks at least afterwards....excluding the past 2 years mind you which both have been miserable.

Has been a couple times in the past 6-7 years where we were able to still pick blueberries in early Oct but think maybe once in the past 10 years I was lucky enough to have an early start here.

Devv said:
A frost or hard freeze will take them out, they say. I'm in new territory here, and hoping I can't answer that question anytime soon!
I would've already hung some Christmas lights on those peaches...if they drop they'll set more. 29 here tonight and 30 tomorrow night...yuck! I think I'm gonna roll the dice on plant out this weekend if the 10 day looks good. "Last frost" here is the 19th I think...but record lows of below freezing go on for three weeks after that...I don't really miss San Diego, but weather predictability is so nice. 

Hope you protected your trees.

CDNmatt said:

I had that exact thought

Man I hope you don't lose them Scotty would be a shame to do so

I always get those near end of season freak frost where it will drop a hard one like the first few days of Sept then be just fine for another 2-3 weeks at least afterwards....excluding the past 2 years mind you which both have been miserable.

Has been a couple times in the past 6-7 years where we were able to still pick blueberries in early Oct but think maybe once in the past 10 years I was lucky enough to have an early start here.

Thanks Matt,

I think we made it through with the Peaches. The Esperanza's burned back...

PtMD989 said:
We sometimes get a late winter warm up that gets the fruit trees to bud up ,then winter comes back with a vengeance , and wipes out the buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for that! Further up North about 1.5 hours lost a lot of their fruit crops for the year. I did learn from reading the interview that 25-26° was the cut off on the Peach crop.

stc3248 said:
I would've already hung some Christmas lights on those peaches...if they drop they'll set more. 29 here tonight and 30 tomorrow night...yuck! I think I'm gonna roll the dice on plant out this weekend if the 10 day looks good. "Last frost" here is the 19th I think...but record lows of below freezing go on for three weeks after that...I don't really miss San Diego, but weather predictability is so nice. 

Hope you protected your trees.

I really need to remember to do that. I don't see any evidence so far of damage. And Christmas lights I have!

My maters go in the dirt Saturday:

74.jpg

That's 2/3  of them. I'm thinking most of the Annuum's will go in during next week.

Spring Break off...Hurah!

Keep it green folks!

"Spring Break off...Hurah!" 
Send some of that vibe this way, Scott!

Yeah, buddy! Happy for you, brother, and 
pullin' for a couple of months of nice weather
for pod-setting!

Love seeing that big 'cage' full o' plants   :party: 

PaulG said:
"Spring Break off...Hurah!" 
Send some of that vibe this way, Scott!

Yeah, buddy! Happy for you, brother, and 
pullin' for a couple of months of nice weather
for pod-setting!

Love seeing that big 'cage' full o' plants   :party: 

Thanks Paul!

A few pics from the other day that I never got to find the time to post:

75.jpg

76.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

The weather has been great, a bit of cold next weekend. Nothing we can't handle...

Soooooo. Dirt day!

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

89.jpg

All of those now reside inground :drooling: ;)

90.jpg

91.jpg

The mulch I score from the county after I ground it up last year, it's now like peat.

Back