• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Sawyer said:
I should have been more specific in my question.  I was wondering about the Numex variety Scott is growing that he mentioned in response to Shane's comment about Numex Green Chile.  One variety, not a Numex, I was considering as a green chile candidate is the Jimmy Nardello.  But that's just based on a comment I read somewhere.

Here is the "hatch" variety that I am growing this year. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/121/numex_heritage_big_jim/ 

Jeff H said:

Here is the "hatch" variety that I am growing this year. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/121/numex_heritage_big_jim/ 

I looked at that one, too, a few days ago, but missed this part, "has 5 times more flavor compounds".  That's some persuasive advertising.  Have you grown it before?  The Heritage 6-4 looks interesting, too.

Speaking of NuMex, I grew the Pinata Jalapeno last year.  They make a very attractive jar of sweet pickled rings.

Sawyer said:

I looked at that one, too, a few days ago, but missed this part, "has 5 times more flavor compounds".  That's some persuasive advertising.  Have you grown it before?  The Heritage 6-4 looks interesting, too.

Speaking of NuMex, I grew the Pinata Jalapeno last year.  They make a very attractive jar of sweet pickled rings.

Nope, sorry. That is new to me. Ask me again in July. I should have peppers by then :D

Sawyer said:

Jeff H said:

Nope, sorry. That is new to me. Ask me again in July. I should have peppers by then :D

I have grown it....best green chile flavor out there! Only problem is it is prone to BER. I still got more than I needed off the two plants I grew out last year. The 6-4 is another awesome pepper. Can't go wrong with either variety! The Big Jims are kinda HOT for a green chile too! 

Everythings looking great especially the foodie shots..
I've grown the Big Jim's before, the peppers get huge. I ALSO dig the taste and heat level  of the Hot Hatch, but my all around favorite is the standard New Mex Anaheim....not necessarily for the heat nor flavor (both great) but in my climate (Z5)  and shorter season  the plants will produce an abundance of 6 to 8" chili's. Many more than the 6-4's or Hatch varieties. 

JJJessee said:
I know what we're having for supper tomorrow  :P  :P  :P  :P

Looks delicious, Scott.
Thanks JJJ!

It's certainly a worthy dish, especially when pumped up a bit!
Capsicum Select said:
looking good. I like your plans for your plant out area and that you are using the cover crop method. I just have some raised beds so I haven't ever bother. You will be super busy with all those spicy girls come February!
Thanks!

I've never tried the raised beds, but have given thought about using them around the edges. I would have to use some garden dirt, potting soil just dries to quickly here...AND I like the fact I can plant the cover crops and use the tiller..

Sawyer said:
Dang, i just have to scroll fast over those food pics.  Otherwise I'll be scrounging in the kitchen again.

LOL, I feel the same way when I see the dishes posted. definitely gonna buy some fish this weekend and spice it up some!

Once again, I see I've missed a lot of good stuff going on here.  I'm glad you mentioned the terra preta.  I've got (possibly literally) tons of golden bamboo to do something with, and an old hot water heater I'm trying to turn into a charcoal maker.  My main garden space has been garden for a hundred years or more, but I'm eyeing another spot that will need some serious soil building.

I think you have the plans I posted from last year for the charcoal kiln? If you don't I'll re-post.  Make sure it has 2"s of head and bottom space between the inner and outer shells. This will allow you to get the metal that rusts after it's been super heated and flakes off to flush out when you clean it after (many) uses. I had to cut the top off of mine and shorten the inner box because it clogged. Having my G-Kids fill the smoke stack with sand didn't help either :D

The rye I planted before the first big snow here never did germinate, and there have been plenty of warm days since.  I'm going to get some more tomorrow and do an indoors germination test.  It's supposed to be organic, but if it doesn't germinate, I have to question that.

I learned that I need to clear the garden from all plants before Oct. the clover and rye has struggled with the cooler winter we're having in the areas that were started later.

The rye works well for providing support to the vetch when it hits its early spring growth spurt, plus rye is one of the best for cool temperature germination.  On the other hand, there does seem to be some evidence for an allopathic effect on some crops.  If you don't like rye, you could try winter oats or wheat.  Barley does well in winter, too, but is prone to lodge under the weight of the vetch.  I don't have any direct experience with vetch in oats or wheat, but it does better when it has something to grow on.

Oats: Here they have trouble germing after early Nov., I hunted for 13 years on a winter grass cattle ranch, they went with wheat if the moisture wasn't good enough to get oats up in time...

Numex is a "Hatch" type pepper, right?  I'm thinking of growing some of those for a local grocer. Is Numex what I should look at?

These are Numex Jalamudo's, seeds from  Jamie.

Jeff H said:
Devv, that quesadlla pic looks great. I just made something very similar for my 13 year old "I'm always hungry" son. 

Numex is the University of New Mexico. They have tons of annuums. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/seeds/nmsu_varieties/ 

I have a few types growing this year. 
Thanks Jeff,

Chicken quesadilla's are always a good eat!

JJJessee said:
I switched from rye/vetch to oats/winter peas this year. I was some concerned about he allopahtics of rye.
I just use a rototiller and I think that will work better with the oats and peas.
The oats have been bit hard with some sub 10°, But that's OK. I'm anxious to see how the peas do in starting in late March.
JJJ,

I be following to see how the peas do, here crimson clover and rye was recommended by the ag extension. We are of course in different zones ;)

Sawyer said:
I should have been more specific in my question.  I was wondering about the Numex variety Scott is growing that he mentioned in response to Shane's comment about Numex Green Chile.  One variety, not a Numex, I was considering as a green chile candidate is the Jimmy Nardello.  But that's just based on a comment I read somewhere.
I have a few Jimmy Nardello's going too, they seem to be liked by all who grow them..in fact JJJ loves them if I remember correctly...

It appears I can't post until I get a bump...sigh..

Jeff H said:

Jeff,

That link fails..I've been wondering exactly what they are calling a "Hatch" , they advertised them here locally big time at the end of the season..

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice quesadilla! Very tasty looking. Looking forward to that crop of bonnets!
Thanks Adam!

I have a bunch of Bonnet's in the wings!

Sawyer said:

Ok, 'Yall are just going to make me want to plant more seeds!

stc3248 said:

I have grown it....best green chile flavor out there! Only problem is it is prone to BER. I still got more than I needed off the two plants I grew out last year. The 6-4 is another awesome pepper. Can't go wrong with either variety! The Big Jims are kinda HOT for a green chile too! 
The Pinata Jalapeno?....OH I need more room!

Sawyer said:
I was going to order both the Heritage Big Jim and Heritage 6-4 last night.  Seed packs are $6 each at CPI, but they have a $14 minimum online order.  I found that annoying and just canceled the order.  Just as well; I have too many irons in the fire as it is.
I hear ya John! Not enough space, and hours in a day...can't wait until the day my job is not in the way ;)  I'm ready you know...

romy6 said:
 Looking very tasty Scotty indeed  :P
Thanks Captain!

I see things are busting loose in Fla.!

PIC 1 said:
Everythings looking great especially the foodie shots..
I've grown the Big Jim's before, the peppers get huge. I ALSO dig the taste and heat level  of the Hot Hatch, but my all around favorite is the standard New Mex Anaheim....not necessarily for the heat nor flavor (both great) but in my climate (Z5)  and shorter season  the plants will produce an abundance of 6 to 8" chili's. Many more than the 6-4's or Hatch varieties. 
Thanks Greg!

Your creations are what made the plate!

Guess I'm going to experience the Big Jim's and the Anaheim's this season, both are new to us, and we're ready to try them...

Still trying to figure out what a hatch is..

Essegi said:
I bet that was! Looks glorious! :D
Thanks!

It was, and such and easy thing to whip up!

OK, finally got down to the bottom:)

Tomorrow grows really cold for us light weight Texan's, they're even talking a light ice storm. Bring it on, makes for great pics ;)  might as well do something being the 30's are the highs for two days. Snow would really be cool!

I had a couple of Bishops Crown's stand up yesterday after a long germ time. Most of the types I have planted have come up, still have a few late arrivals I hope to get going. I have two of the original manzano's that have been in a funk, had 3 but one decided to just stop. The other two look like they might do something, pics soon if they do.

I hope everyone is safe and warm with yet another friggin cold front blowing in

It's hard to beat a blistered Anaheim. Don't know why they aren't on my grow list(I guess that could still change).
These Big Jim's have that same bi-lobe thing going to. Are the an Anaheim hybrid?

JJJessee said:
It's hard to beat a blistered Anaheim. Don't know why they aren't on my grow list(I guess that could still change).
These Big Jim's have that same bi-lobe thing going to. Are the an Anaheim hybrid?

Yup... Big Jim is an Anaheim. If you are having trouble getting seeds for the NuMex varieties, this is a good place to find them. I get all my seeds from them, and they grow true with good germination percentages. http://www.sandiaseed.com/mildmed.html 
As Annie can tell you, dealing with the college store can be very frustrating... I think the Sandia commercial site is much easier to deal with. They have some supers and wilds too.

maximumcapsicum said:
Snow would be really cool he says...

Great updates Scott! Can't wait for the next round of photos!

Stay warm.
Hi Adam,

Been in Tejas since '78, seen it snow once for a few minutes and stop, it was Halloween 1990. We've had a few ice storms that occurred overnight. One forecast shows 17° overnight with precipitation. Sat back in the 60's, so yeah for a few pics it would be cool to see ;)

When it snowed in NY we would hop in the car and cruise, love the silence snowfall creates and miss the snow..

Jeff H said:

From what I know about the hatch chili, it is called that from the region it is grown. The wikipedia link looks consistent with what I have heard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_chile

Let's try that link again.
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/121/numex_heritage_big_jim/
2008_09230003.jpg
I think I got confused with Big Jim's and Jimmy Nardello's, thanks for the info!

JJJessee said:

stickman said:

Yup... Big Jim is an Anaheim. If you are having trouble getting seeds for the NuMex varieties, this is a good place to find them. I get all my seeds from them, and they grow true with good germination percentages. http://www.sandiaseed.com/mildmed.html 
As Annie can tell you, dealing with the college store can be very frustrating... I think the Sandia commercial site is much easier to deal with. They have some supers and wilds too.
Great site Rick!

I bookmarked it, I have enough going this year...maybe too much! But will order from them for next season, they have a great selection for sure!

edit: the "likes popo's" are out again...

Back