• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Scott add those Jimmy Nardellos to your list next season. It's an extremely thin walled sweet pepper that's very tasty when ripened red, either sliced raw or as I prefer them fried up with onions and Italian Sausage. Another good producer and also thin skinned and sweet is the Melrose which eludes that bitter taste of the "unripe" green pepper.....great for flash frying also.

Thanks, Rick, for that link. There are a couple on the site looke interesting, maybe next year.

On the Nardellos, I didn't think think much of them green, only a little better fresh and ripe, But roasted, excellent.

Haven't heard of the Melrose, but Padrons flash very well too. As do Shishitos, but they are pretty small.

PIC 1 said:
Scott add those Jimmy Nardellos to your list next season. It's an extremely thin walled sweet pepper that's very tasty when ripened red, either sliced raw or as I prefer them fried up with onions and Italian Sausage. Another good producer and also thin skinned and sweet is the Melrose which eludes that bitter taste of the "unripe" green pepper.....great for flash frying also.
Greg,

I have the Jimmy Nardello's up and running, seeds from Jamie. It's the Big Jim's I'm looking at adding..

JJJessee said:
Thanks, Rick, for that link. There are a couple on the site looke interesting, maybe next year.

On the Nardellos, I didn't think think much of them green, only a little better fresh and ripe, But roasted, excellent.

Haven't heard of the Melrose, but Padrons flash very well too. As do Shishitos, but they are pretty small.
Have you added any to sauces?

I'm still having some seeds pop. A few Bishops Crown the other day, I may have mentioned that, but haven't snapped any pics...

These all the way from across the ocean from Stefan (meatfreak)

Jalapeno Colima, got 4 hooks this morning :party:
288.JPG

Jalapeno Gigantia
289.JPG

Hope the rest pop soon!

Devv said:
Greg,

I have the Jimmy Nardello's up and running, seeds from Jamie. It's the Big Jim's I'm looking at adding..

Have you added any to sauces?

I'm still having some seeds pop. A few Bishops Crown the other day, I may have mentioned that, but haven't snapped any pics...

These all the way from across the ocean from Stefan (meatfreak)

Jalapeno Colima, got 4 hooks this morning :party:
288.JPG

Jalapeno Gigantia
289.JPG

Hope the rest pop soon!

That reminds me, none of my bishops crowns popped. I'll need to get them replanted when I start the rest of the peppers on 2/1. 9 days and counting.

Nice close up shots of the new hooks.

Jeff H said:

That reminds me, none of my bishops crowns popped. I'll need to get them replanted when I start the rest of the peppers on 2/1. 9 days and counting.

Nice close up shots of the new hooks.
Thanks Jeff!

I used a tripod, I just can't hold the camera still enough for Macro shots...
I think I planted 3 times to get my two, and from 2 sources....I had given up on them. They were in the 2 trays just sitting on the table...one never knows!

JJJessee said:
Nardellos, are a great sauce base ingredient once roasted -especially smoked. 
I smoke them whole, finish them in the oven if I have too, then stuff them tight in a quart jar of vinegar and refrigerate.
I de-seed and peel(if loose)  just before the blender.
Sounds good JJJ!

I want to make a sauce that my wife will eat, she fell in love with the salsa Greg sent at Christmas and wants to buy what we need to make some later on.

Edit: Cold front still not here...but looks close, the sky has that look...hope every hunkers down and stays warm!

Nice looking shots of the peppers coming up.  Nothing is better than seeing the coty spread and just about ready to pop out of the ground.

Cold front here too.  Up to -1 right now.  I think the high is 6 today.  Good day to watch the peppers grow.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking shots of the peppers coming up.  Nothing is better than seeing the coty spread and just about ready to pop out of the ground.

Cold front here too.  Up to -1 right now.  I think the high is 6 today.  Good day to watch the peppers grow.
It just started blowing here, not much to do outside when it's nasty, so we're going to use the nasty day to get ahead on some errands we need to take care of. 6° now that's cold, they say 17° tonight...hope not!

'Yall stay warm!

romy6 said:
 Hunker down Scotty and stay warm :fireball: . You know it's cold when it freezes at my house . Sub-tropics my arse  ;)
Wow!

Did you bring inside what you could?

The shop is full and the wanna be dining room looks like a jungle!

Just came back from SA and they had what I wanted for once!
290.JPG

Onions hit the dirt Saturday, Red Grano, Texas Sweet (white), and 1015.

Potatoes for next weekend, Red Norland and Yukon Gold

More pellets for Marigolds. Cilantro, and some San Marzano tom's

Asparagus, I'm 55 and just tried it this week for the first time, gonna give it a whirl too.

That's a dangerous amount of Jiffy Pellets. You're gonna get into some trouble.

Love the annuum shots. I am doing a small make-up round of chinenses today and will probably start the annuums next week. Hoping to finish a chapter first... kind of my reward system.

maximumcapsicum said:

Love the annuum shots. I am doing a small make-up round of chinenses today and will probably start the annuums next week. Hoping to finish a chapter first... kind of my reward system.
Hah!

216 there, to finish this season and start next, bought the while they were still on the shelf. Not going to get into anymore trouble...no room!

Still outa likes....

maximumcapsicum said:

You should see the box of pellets I have...1700....now that's dangerous lol

Devv said:
Hah!

216 there, to finish this season and start next, bought the while they were still on the shelf. Not going to get into anymore trouble...no room!

Still outa likes....

Excellent looking box of goodies.  I am 4 months out and you're planting in the dirt....talk about making me want to scratch an itch!!!  Plus I am three weeks out from my next round of peppers.  Luckily I got some onion seed in today.

Good luck on your plant out!!!

meatfreak said:
That's a great box of goodies, Scott! Good to see the Jal's are showing up for the party :D
Thanks Stefan!

Really glad to see some hooks! That means more to follow...

HillBilly Jeff said:

You should see the box of pellets I have...1700....now that's dangerous lol

Excellent looking box of goodies.  I am 4 months out and you're planting in the dirt....talk about making me want to scratch an itch!!!  Plus I am three weeks out from my next round of peppers.  Luckily I got some onion seed in today.

Good luck on your plant out!!!
Jeff,

I was thinking about your purchase as we loaded them up!

Well some are hitting the dirt, Onions and then Potatoes. But that's good, the dirt season is starting, the rest will fall into place...

Scott it is sleeting and sticking here now.  Chance of snow for the morning.  I put some cardboard on my windshield.  I haven't done that for 25 or 30 years I think back in Kansas.

Great looking pile of goodies!

Keep the fire going!

Mike

capsidadburn said:
Scott it is sleeting and sticking here now.  Chance of snow for the morning.  I put some cardboard on my windshield.  I haven't done that for 25 or 30 years I think back in Kansas.

Keep the fire going!

Mike

-5 in Ohio in the morning .HBJ will probably be colder than that in northern IN. I wouldn't complain too loudly.  :shame:

Asparagus is fantastic on toast with plenty of butter and salt and pepper for breakfast ... Its a slow burner as a vegetable to grow though I believe before you get decent harvests anyway. Great box of goodness though I like it a lot!!

capsidadburn said:

Keep the fire going!

Mike
Oh, the fires a going, just got in from turning on the pool filter so it doesn't freeze. It's raining and 33°, maybe some white soon? We don't see that here much, usually a little...very when we're asleep. Luckily we're off, stock show around here means a 4 day weekend....

Stay warm my friend!

Jamison said:
Score on all the vegetables and San Marzano seeds. I grow them every year.
Oh yeah!

We do too, the idea here is not to buy what can be grown, and then share the rest. Being of blue collar background, I share with the hardest of the workers. Our Maintenance, and Custodial personnel, also the secretaries.

Jeff H said:

-5 in Ohio in the morning .HBJ will probably be colder than that in northern IN. I wouldn't complain too loudly.  :shame:
Jeff,

I know where you're coming from, came from up that way if you count NY.

But here for 36 years...and the 4 or 5 months of 100's to us is like winter for you, pretty unbearable but we all get through it. But when we get the cold here, 20's and ice...we want to hide..LOL

A few years ago I visited my brother in Vermillion in July, we were at 95-100, there...boom 70° as a high. We were freezing when the sun went down, wishing we had warmer clothes..

Trippa said:
Asparagus is fantastic on toast with plenty of butter and salt and pepper for breakfast ... Its a slow burner as a vegetable to grow though I believe before you get decent harvests anyway. Great box of goodness though I like it a lot!!
LB bought some and cooked it with cracked pepper, garlic and butter. I'm like where have you been! I've been missing out! It was never offered it as a kid, and the other day LB said what about Asparagus? To be planted this weekend!

And yes, very happy to find all the goodies we love in town today! This gets somethings going early!

Think a 3 week stretch of 100+ in your area, I know it's not the same..but extremes are extremes.

So I'll take some cheese with the whine, provolone sliced real thin please ;)

Back