• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:
Got to get some of those goodies in the dirt. 

Okay Scott, pic withdrawal is coming on.
OK ;)

When I get back from taking LB food shopping. It's 25° and ice stormed last night, here in Tejas when it does that we wait until it's above freezing to go anywhere. I don't need some yahoo plowing into me that doesn't understand icy conditions. The news is showing ice related wrecks everywhere. And stupid me didn't drain the outside water, it froze, first time in 25 years. :shh:  Going to turn the outside valve off and wait, and hope...

Trippa said:
Not that exit ... Tends to make your pee smell pretty rank!! Thanks to sulphur metabolites I believe

maximumcapsicum said:
That's true. But it turns out the stink only gets in some folks pee, or only some folks are able to smell it.

Jeff H said:

Nope. Trippa nailed it. 

Interesting. Didn't know that. 
Hmmm, interesting, but didn't notice that. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones...

stickman said:
Alright, onions, potatoes and asparagus ready to hit the dirt!
Yeah baby!

Looks like some tilling and planting Saturday, may till later if it gets a little nicer out.

Penny said:
Ah tilling and planting......I cant wait!!! ;)
I can plant the cold weather stuff, but we're still 4 to 6 weeks away from tomatoes and peppers. I am going to try a row cover experiment this year to see if it helps things out...

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah thermometer read 8 this morning. So much for hotlanta! I need to go back to Delhi.
Now that's cold! That's the main reason we're down here, cuz it's warmer...

Been here in Devine 25 years, only second time we've had ice on trees...
292.jpg

291.jpg

Were you there for the miracle snow for Christmas...heck that wasn't that long ago...2004/2005 i THINK??? It also snowed back in the mid '80s. We got about 6" of the stuff down in Carrizo...

Pretty nuts! Glad you didn't push them out too early this year!

Found some pics...Christmas morning '04 Aransas Pass, Tx.
2J6jyvy.jpg

X7Z900p.jpg

I've seen snow flakes one time here, Halloween 1990, snowed for about 10 minutes.  I was in Magnolia, Texas for the '85 snow, that happened overnight, and was more like frozen rain there. It didn't snow here that time Carrizo got all that snow, we felt robbed...LOL

Last year on New Years eve. my son took his family north until they found snow, he went all the way to Colorado..LOL His kids loved it...

I guess today is a slow warm up, 9AM and still 26°

Devv said:
I can plant the cold weather stuff, but we're still 4 to 6 weeks away from tomatoes and peppers. I am going to try a row cover experiment this year to see if it helps things out...

Now that's cold! That's the main reason we're down here, cuz it's warmer...

Been here in Devine 25 years, only second time we've had ice on trees...
292.jpg

291.jpg

Good luck with the row cover experiment Scott... boy the ice in the trees sure is purty when it's back-lit by the sun... :)

Shane that pics just popped, really pretty when it snows.

The last time I saw snow like that was an early snow in NY, like 25 years ago. I was there for my sisters wedding. The reason I remember it was I grabbed a hand full and rubbed it in my older brothers face, the one that used to half drown me and my younger brother when we went to the beach...still brings a smile to my face..LOL

stickman said:

Good luck with the row cover experiment Scott... boy the ice in the trees sure is purty when it's back-lit by the sun... :)
Rick I bought a 12x100' roll of 4mil clear plastic yesterday. I can get the 1/2" PVC locally

Ice is the worst.  I heard on the TV that Texas got hit with ice.  If it gets bad it always breaks down trees here and I hate losing my trees.

Good luck!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Ice is the worst.  I heard on the TV that Texas got hit with ice.  If it gets bad it always breaks down trees here and I hate losing my trees.

Good luck!!!
We did OK here, Thanks for the good vibes! LB and I both had off.....stock show is in town. They always close so the kids can show their animals.

I was worried about my son, he had to work and it was 23° in Seguin, with a lot more ice than we had.

Last night was crazy, the wind blew really hard, the trees sounded like the surf. It was misting and light rain, it was coming down almost horizontally, I guess that's why I didn't go turn off and drain the outside water....I turned it off this AM and tomorrow I'll look for cracks and leaks.

Trying to free up some freezer space, so I pulled two bags out. Mainly JA Habs, a few orange and Caribbean Reds.
293.JPG

Wound up with just under 2LB's, added 4% salt and gonna let them stew for 45 days or so...
294.JPG

When they're ready I going to use Rick's Red Hab recipe to finish them up.

Devv said:
Rick I bought a 12x100' roll of 4mil clear plastic yesterday. I can get the 1/2" PVC locally

Excellent! Did you get a roll of black poly to use for plastic mulch too? It's a crucial piece of the passive solar part of the experiment.

Devv said:
Trying to free up some freezer space, so I pulled two bags out. Mainly JA Habs, a few orange and Caribbean Reds.

When they're ready I going to use Rick's Red Hab recipe to finish them up.

Gee, I never tried to make my red Hab sauce with fermented peppers... let me know how it comes out for you, would you?

Back