• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Devv said:
I think that's a plan!

Am breaking a lot of new ground this season with all these varieties. It's going to take some learning on my part.

Cool! Good luck with your experiment. Thanks also for the input on what aphid corpses look like when they've been parasitized by wasps. I've never seen them before and I wouldn't want to smash or poison any beneficial wasp larvae.
   The snow has mostly receded here finally. There are still a few icy drifts that are slowly receding, but it looks like they'll be pretty much gone by the end of the week. The ground is still mostly frozen, but where it's thawed next to the foundations of buildings and south-facing slopes I'm beginning to see early bulbs poking their heads up. Cheers!

Nice looking poddage you have going on there.  Yellow fatalii looks a little off to me.  Not sure as I only grew the red last season and my memory is telling me it shouldn't be lobed at the bottom.

Amazing that one red solo cup watered the entire row.  The water must not soak in very fast there. 

;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the mulch pattern Scott! I may try something similar... little mounds between each row. My plants will be much closer than yours obviously, but you know we're all packed in close over here in the ATL. 
Thanks Adam, I'm trying to achieve two things, stop the weeds and add more material to the garden. I'm going to periodically use the wobblers to water in hopes they decay.

stickman said:

Cool! Good luck with your experiment. Thanks also for the input on what aphid corpses look like when they've been parasitized by wasps. I've never seen them before and I wouldn't want to smash or poison any beneficial wasp larvae.
   The snow has mostly receded here finally. There are still a few icy drifts that are slowly receding, but it looks like they'll be pretty much gone by the end of the week. The ground is still mostly frozen, but where it's thawed next to the foundations of buildings and south-facing slopes I'm beginning to see early bulbs poking their heads up. Cheers!
Thanks Rick, this whole season is an experiment for me ;)  Learned some what not to do's last season and added a few more.

I was thinking today perhaps I can trap a frame of the microscope video, it really showed the Aphids at the young stage with the wasp holes they left when they emerged.

Glad to hear the weather is warming up your way, you certainly are over due.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking poddage you have going on there.  Yellow fatalii looks a little off to me.  Not sure as I only grew the red last season and my memory is telling me it shouldn't be lobed at the bottom.

Amazing that one red solo cup watered the entire row.  The water must not soak in very fast there. 

;)
Thanks Jeff,

That's why I said I hope. It has that Hab look going on. OP seeds, one never knows what they will do.

Actually today I added 8 more bubbler heads halfway down each row. It took forever to reach the end, which I'm sure will result in water logged plants at the top and dry at the bottom. This should also cut down on the watering time, which is the main goal. And the water is not soaking down as fast as last year since I added the heavy top soil. Now it needs more organic matter. I put 3"s down in the fall, but don't have the mix quite there yet..

Foodie shot from this weekend:
564.JPG

LB found a dough recipe to die for, I grew up in NY. We've been trying to copy the Pizza we grew up on for years. This had the perfect crust and I mean perfect! We used the same sauce recipe from the same site and it was a bit weak on flavor. Next weekend we'll tweak the sauce, we were already close in that dept. And when we nail it I'll put up the recipes.

Got a couple of new toys via UPS:
565.JPG

2 10x20' 30% sunshades to add to what I already have. Got to keep the peppers and tom's under the screen once it gets hot.

Got the wobblers running:
566.JPG

567.JPG

568.JPG

Going to let them run for an hour, still breaking in the new well. Hopefully the soil will be wet enough for the mulch to bind some with the soil and start it's decay process on the bottom side. I also hit the gals with a dose of ferts. Trying to get them greener and growing. I'm starting to see lots of flowers. So should have some decent pics soon ;)

Most excellent Scott! Everything's already looking greener and healthier in this round of pics... :woohoo: Nice score on the shade cloth, and tasty looking pie too. :drooling:  I'm really wanting you to get enough Kapija peppers this year to make Ajvar... I bet it'd be the perfect accompaniment to the perfect pizza crust instead of tomato sauce. :dance:

Wow. Looks great. As for the funky reapers I have a few growing but my nemesis from last year killed them all. Still have some seeds and will try again. Your plot looks great. Can't wait to see more updates. As for the MoA. Ya. Been some issues with pod shape. PM me

I'll just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Looks real nice.

The new irrigation lines should help keep everything more evenly watered. You'll need it down in that heat. In this part of the country, irrigation is only essential for about the month of Aug, and maybe some of July. Other than that, we usually get enough rain for any in ground plants.

Meticulous setup you have there Scott. Very clean and organized....hopefully the work load is downhill for you. It was probably back breaking to get it where you have it...but well worth while !

The pepper plants are still adjusting to the new surroundings. Have you sprayed any epsom salts on them ? If after hitting them with the Nitro and if the new growth also appears pale then I'd foliar spray....much faster aborption.

The bubbling cheezy pie looks delish...I'd dive into that so fast I'd burn the roof of my mouth....that's just how it is......ha
Tweaking a pizza sauce ?.....if going old school and making the red sauce on the stove top, make it in advance. The adjustments are easier accomplished when it's at room temp. Anise and/or Fennel powder will pick up the traditional flavor.....slso layering the shredded cheese with some dried Italian herbs will give the pie another level of goodness.

Checking this glog out sikes me up to get a move on some outdoor chores.

stickman said:
Most excellent Scott! Everything's already looking greener and healthier in this round of pics... :woohoo: Nice score on the shade cloth, and tasty looking pie too. :drooling:  I'm really wanting you to get enough Kapija peppers this year to make Ajvar... I bet it'd be the perfect accompaniment to the perfect pizza crust instead of tomato sauce. :dance:
Thanks Rick!

They're starting! Should I freeze them so I have enough later on?

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking forward to the recipes. The garden looks amazing. Thinking about shade cloth as well this year. It gets pretty hot. My plant thrived in the shade last year. Thanks for the updates and good luck.
Thanks OCD!

Going to work on the sauce again this weekend. I've used shade cloth the last two seasons, it's a blessing here. The plants grow so much better and no scalding of peppers or tomatoes.

maximumcapsicum said:
Sounds great Scott? Whenabouts will you have to put the shade up? What ferts you hitting them with?
Hi Adam,

I'm hitting them with a mix of foliar and watering applications, I use 1oz. of Hasta Gro, 1 TBL. of Calmag, and 1oz. Seaweed extract to 2.5 gals water. Which is less than 50% solution. I could water every time with this weak mix. I cut that in half for the foliar. That's for now until I get a baseline going. Shade goes up when temps stay close to 90°.

Pulpiteer said:
Man those garden shots look great! We've just got to the point up here where most of the snow is melted, so those shots of a planted garden look awesome!  Great set up - and good work getting that mulch down!
Thanks Andy!

The hard parts are almost done, a little more mulching and cleaning up and it's just water weed and pick.

In that new place yet?

jedisushi06 said:
when do you put the shade cloth up?
Shade cloth goes up when temps hit 90's, I'm hoping that's 6 weeks!

romy6 said:
 Wowza Scotty. :fireball:

I am oh so envious of your operation. :rolleyes:

I may never show my sad little container garden again  ;)

Looking superblicious  :dance:
Thanks Jamie!

You're one of the ones that going me going with all this madness ;)  Got quite a few plants out there with your name on them! Thanks for sending!

Nothing wrong with container growing my friend, I'm still trying to get that down, and will have more in pots this season. We just happened to fall into this place 25 years ago, the boss wanted it and it was when land was cheap around here.

capsidadburn said:
+1 What Jamie said! Looks like a fantastic dreamy place to be Scott!
Thanks Mike!

Both you and Jamie have grows to be admired for sure!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Wow. Looks great. As for the funky reapers I have a few growing but my nemesis from last year killed them all. Still have some seeds and will try again. Your plot looks great. Can't wait to see more updates. As for the MoA. Ya. Been some issues with pod shape. PM me
Thanks Denniz!

Been working on the garden off and on for 25 years, poured some time and money the last few years, hoping it does well this season. I have the mother Funky in the dirt again, and it's looking healthy, so I'll plenty of seeds. I'll get with you this weekend.

Jeff H said:
I'll just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Looks real nice.

The new irrigation lines should help keep everything more evenly watered. You'll need it down in that heat. In this part of the country, irrigation is only essential for about the month of Aug, and maybe some of July. Other than that, we usually get enough rain for any in ground plants.
Thanks Jeff!

Irrigation is a must here. I've watered on Sunday and yesterday, hoping to stretch times out after the plants establish their roots in the soil. Rain, I just wish we could get back to how it was 25-30 years ago. We need the El nino to have decent rains here. Also if Africa is raining we tend not to.

PIC 1 said:
Meticulous setup you have there Scott. Very clean and organized....hopefully the work load is downhill for you. It was probably back breaking to get it where you have it...but well worth while !

The pepper plants are still adjusting to the new surroundings. Have you sprayed any epsom salts on them ? If after hitting them with the Nitro and if the new growth also appears pale then I'd foliar spray....much faster aborption.

The bubbling cheezy pie looks delish...I'd dive into that so fast I'd burn the roof of my mouth....that's just how it is......ha
Tweaking a pizza sauce ?.....if going old school and making the red sauce on the stove top, make it in advance. The adjustments are easier accomplished when it's at room temp. Anise and/or Fennel powder will pick up the traditional flavor.....slso layering the shredded cheese with some dried Italian herbs will give the pie another level of goodness.

Checking this glog out sikes me up to get a move on some outdoor chores.
Thanks Greg!

The work load for now is lightening, which is good I need to clean the place up. Fired up the lawn mower today, and ate some dust ;)

Yes they're just starting to perk up. They were nice and dark green when I planted, I think when I flooded the ditches any nutes in the potting soil leached down. I haven't given them any Epson salt yet, I know I need to. I have been hitting them with less than 50% solutions of Calmag, Hasta Gro, and Seaweed extract, both foliar and in watering. Going slow but more often until I see positive results. One can't take back too much ferts. The new growth which is just starting is darker.

You know how many times I fried the roof of my mouth as a kid? Probably as many times as you did.

As for the sauce actually our existing recipe for sauce was better, LB wanted to follow through with the recipe, and we didn't have time to punch it up this go round. We're trying to copy what we ate as kids and on visits to Long Island, the recipe hit the crust perfect. We like a thin crust that you have to fold and the tip sags (getting hungry) and the edges are tasty and springy, not crunchy and hard, not mushy. It calls for proofing the dough in the fridge for 3 days versus a warm area.

Being outside is my favorite place to be, and I have the sun damage to prove it! Nowadays it's straw hats sunscreen and long sleeve shirts.

Thanks for reading!

That sounds like a good idea, but you might want to roast and peel them, then remove stems and seeds before freezing... Then all you have to do is thaw, process to a chunky puree together with garlic slices, salt and a splash of white vinegar, then reduce to a spreadable consistency on the stovetop and put up in jars for the winter. It's a lot of work, but so worth it!

Devv said:
...Got the wobblers running:
566.JPG

567.JPG

568.JPG

Going to let them run for an hour, still breaking in the new well. Hopefully the soil will be wet enough for the mulch to bind some with the soil and start it's decay process on the bottom side. I also hit the gals with a dose of ferts. Trying to get them greener and growing. I'm starting to see lots of flowers. So should have some decent pics soon ;)
Wow! absolute eye-candy. You  both know and do what it takes to make the desert bloom.
^5 that is a stunning work of art.

Pizza looks pretty good too :D

Back