• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

I felt that heat too today Scott.  Days like these can just wait a month or two!  I was so worried about my newer plants outside.  I was leaving Austin around 4pm on I-35 it was 91°.  By the time I got to Round Rock at 5pm it was 65° and pouring rain.  Only a quarter inch though.  Very fortunate and pleasing to see.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Keep the cool drink close!

Devv said:
i got those also, if its a wasp, then thats a good thing, but i started putting sticky traps in my yard, and i saw some wasps got caught, even the damn geicos got caught, 2 casaulties, and my stinger got caught some geico also got roasted
Devv said:
A few quick pics, I took the wind break down. Tomorrow I'll move it to the far North fence. Not much going on, a few flowers, and the tomatoes are kicking in, so the peppers will too. Especially with our weather forecast.

542.jpg

Here's a group shot:
541.JPG

And a few random shots of some gals that the wind hasn't damaged.
537.JPG

538.JPG

539.JPG

540.JPG

I'm hoping for some serious pod setting the next 2 to 6 weeks.
feels like paradise, just imagine i have that and i got all year long to grow :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

Garden looks outstanding Scott.

So let me understand your irrigation system: You just flood little trenches next to the rows of plants? Certainly easy looking. It mus work well because of your soil type and the lack of rain. I couldn't see that system working in Ohio. Soaker hoses or like last year with individual emitters up here.

Pinoy83 said:
i got those also, if its a wasp, then thats a good thing, but i started putting sticky traps in my yard, and i saw some wasps got caught, even the damn geicos got caught, 2 casaulties, and my stinger got caught some geico also got roasted

feels like paradise, just imagine i have that and i got all year long to grow :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:
Luckily those Aphid pics were not my plants. I look at them all the time to make sure the bugs are not taking hold, I have a few that may have some mites so I'm going to treat them with Seaweed extract and sulfur this morning. There's no rust showing, just the crinkling, but better safe than sorry. I have many types of wasps working the plants, they seem to be eating versus lay eggs.

Oh, we all wish we had your weather! It's amazing!

GA Growhead said:
Looking foward to the pictures!
Two weeks is about right for the plants to start showing they are much happier now that they are in the ground!
I know I've been slacking, but when they are just sitting there it's not an update, just more of the same. Yesterday I noticed a few had made a jump, almost overnight. Also they are starting to darken up. I've been hitting them with small doses of Hasta Gro 6-12-6 an organic liquid that's urea based. Also Seaweed Extract. I used both last year to supplement and they worked really well for me here.

Jeff H said:
Garden looks outstanding Scott.

So let me understand your irrigation system: You just flood little trenches next to the rows of plants? Certainly easy looking. It mus work well because of your soil type and the lack of rain. I couldn't see that system working in Ohio. Soaker hoses or like last year with individual emitters up here.
Thank Jeff!

The plants are in the ditch, and I flood the rows to water. Our water has too much mineral content to use soaker hoses or emitters. I Tried both and they stop up. I could use the treated house water but after running through two filters for sediment and one more for iron, and then the water softener. After all of that I don't have the volume.
capsidadburn said:
I felt that heat too today Scott.  Days like these can just wait a month or two!  I was so worried about my newer plants outside.  I was leaving Austin around 4pm on I-35 it was 91°.  By the time I got to Round Rock at 5pm it was 65° and pouring rain.  Only a quarter inch though.  Very fortunate and pleasing to see.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Keep the cool drink close!
Hi Mike,

Yeah when it jumps into the 90's the first few times I back off until I'm hardened some ;)

I watched the plants and a few were showing heat stress, I only had to shade one plant that was sagging.

Our 10 day forecast is looking stellar! Nights in the 50's and 60's days in the low 80's. Hope we have 6 weeks of that!

That's a nice 10 day Dev. I think you're heat is going to start moving my way soon as well. It looks like a bunch of your plants have broken through the transplant malaise and are starting to take off! How are the pods that were set a week or so ago looking? Also, when did you stop pinching buds?

WalkGood said:
46 pages ... Holy Texasssss! I'll have to catch up and den comment but wanted to say Hola to you and yours = )
+1 Querido!

Okay, Scott: I'm with Ramon, but were he in last year's mode, he'd be having great weather too, and aside from my sheer envy vis a vis weather: you DID it--2 growing seasons in one for peppers in ground!! :clap: But I do have to go back and catch up on how ya "done" it. BTW, your Funky Reapers are some of my super giants! Peace, babe and looking great. Love to the family . . . won't ya'll be harvesting maters soon? (Or did I miss that?) :shocked: (Dang, I LOVE Tejas heat!)

WalkGood said:
46 pages ... Holy Texasssss! I'll have to catch up and den comment but wanted to say Hola to you and yours = )
Woot! He's back!

Give the family a Tejas hug!

maximumcapsicum said:
That's a nice 10 day Dev. I think you're heat is going to start moving my way soon as well. It looks like a bunch of your plants have broken through the transplant malaise and are starting to take off! How are the pods that were set a week or so ago looking? Also, when did you stop pinching buds?
Hi Adam!

Yes warm weather is here to stay! I hope the wind stays....away! I really didn't look at the pods other than to notice they're still green. I may have pinched a few buds early, I forget ;) But didn't stop per-say, never really started ;) Just been too busy!

annie57 said:
+1 Querido!

Okay, Scott: I'm with Ramon, but were he in last year's mode, he'd be having great weather too, and aside from my sheer envy vis a vis weather: you DID it--2 growing seasons in one for peppers in ground!! :clap: But I do have to go back and catch up on how ya "done" it. BTW, your Funky Reapers are some of my super giants! Peace, babe and looking great. Love to the family . . . won't ya'll be harvesting maters soon? (Or did I miss that?) :shocked: (Dang, I LOVE Tejas heat!)
Hi Annie!

Glad both you and Ramon came to visit! Put a smile on my face! Glad the Funky's are doing well, it was the only super last year that didn't care about the heat. AND I planted the mother back in the garden a couple of weeks ago, she OW'ed really well. I have one of her Kids growing too. Maters are flowering, and harvest should start late May and go through June.

A small update, it's too bright to take pics now, can't see the digital viewer.

The last row, I hoe'd this yesterday when it was 90°, then came in and had a cold one ;)
551.JPG

Today after planting:
552.JPG

From top of pic down:
White Bhut
Kurtovska Kapija
Manzano
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Tobago Treasure
Datil
Jalapeno Gigantia
Jalapeno Colima
Jalapeno Coyame
Numex Jalamundo
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah
Choc Scorp
Red Bhut-perhaps Mystery
JA Hab
Yellow Fatalii-possible not.

A little poddage
Logs show this is a Aji Limon, but the way this year has been going who knows. LB offered to do my spreadsheets next season, why not, she's a secretary :party:
543.JPG

Choc Hab
544.JPG

A different Choc Hab, funny when I take the pics I write down their location and look at the spreadsheet. I really want to get something to mark the plants so I know what they are when I shoot.
545.JPG

Flower bud shots..
546.JPG

547.JPG

Peach Bhut
548.JPG

Yellow Fatalii
549.JPG

OW shot, Red Bhut, starting to darken up and grow. Hit it with ferts a few times, real light doses.
550.JPG

Will do my best to get some more as the sun lowers..

Here's a few more random snaps of plants I neglected to jot the names down of. I confess, I'm a lamer, BUT I do have a rum drink in my hand. As good an excuse as any :shh:

553.JPG

554.JPG

555.JPG

These "should be" a green hornet, a F Reaper, and an IDK LOL

I spent the last couple of hours outside mulching. The original idea was leaves, wet newspaper, and then mulch. It seems there aren't enough hours in a day, so just mulch. I tried sifting it, same thing not enough hours, I wasn't getting anywhere fast.
556.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Looking good Scott. Cant wait till I start getting that forecast. We are still in the 50's and had some snow last week. Should be another month till dirt day here. 

The garden looks good Scott. Let's see how stellar of a head start you can get on the northern 1/2 of the country. You're 6 weeks ahead, but we'll catch up eventually. :liar:

Of your 3 unknowns, the top one looks like its leaves are Naga/bhut -ish.

koskorgul said:
Looking good Scott. Cant wait till I start getting that forecast. We are still in the 50's and had some snow last week. Should be another month till dirt day here. 
Thanks Rob!

I said to someone, or typoed it IDK we all wait for spring, mine comes sooner, but I start waiting sooner ;)

HillBilly Jeff said:
Excellent looking garden. Some really nice plants and pics.  I would love to have your lows as my highs right now!!!
Thanks Jeff!

Can't wait to see your in a few week!

Jeff H said:
The garden looks good Scott. Let's see how stellar of a head start you can get on the northern 1/2 of the country. You're 6 weeks ahead, but we'll catch up eventually. :liar:

Of your 3 unknowns, the top one looks like its leaves are Naga/bhut -ish.
Thanks Jeff!

I may get a head start, but I'm typically done real early. Usually by early July. Last year I kept things going all summer, that means my grow started in January and ended in December. This years started in late October.

My brother, the one that lives near you planted seeds in March and had a really nice harvest. So I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to wait longer to plant, but once you do you typically have nicer growing weather until it gets cold.

Unless something changes I don't intend on watering EVERY day like last season. Last year in July we went for a day trip to Put-In-Bay, we were visiting my brother, and it was in the 90's. It was horrible, couldn't find a cool place, beer made it worse. 5 of us bailed early, I stood at the bow of the ferry and took in the splashes, I got soaked but boy it felt good! We have 14 weeks of that here...so this is a good time of year!

Essegi said:
Still better than many other excuses! :D
All is looking great! ;)
Thanks Essegi!

We're making Pizza tonight from scratch! Yum ;)

Hit it early this morning, and worked until 2:30, then I called it. I missed my mark with this pic. I was trying to catch the glow the new leaves have when the sun first comes up.
557.JPG

Mulched another three rows and made markers for the plants out of tongue depressors we had lying around. Painted them white and had LB write the names, my penmanship is way terrible. Just had to do this, tired of hunting through the spreadsheet. Hope I got them all correct and don't wind up with anymore mysteries ;)  I'm trying to get better.

Kurtovska Kapija, this is the one I planted yesterday. She's in a hurry!
558.JPG

Supposed to be a MoA, mystery for now..Adam, you asked about pods, growing very slowly!
559.JPG

I say this is going to be the first pod of the season to ripen..Planted a lot of Jals for my favorite.
560.JPG

Yellow Fatalii, I hope..LOL
562.JPG

Everything got a drink
563.JPG

Thanks for stopping by.

Things are looking mighty good Scott! What's not to like about pods in March! I was reading a Hungarian website last year that recommended when growing slow-ripening peppers like Bells, Pritamins, Marconis and such to pinch off any flowers at the first fork to encourage more flowers early on, and giving them adequate time to fully ripen. Granted, the growing season's short there and they need to set as many pods as early as possible for that reason. The other thing they do is to only let the plant fork once, and then stake each branch for support so it doesn't snap in the wind under the load of lots of ripening peppers since they're so brittle. I didn't do the pruning and staking bit last year, just staked the main stem, but did pinch off the flowers at the first fork and it seemed to work as advertised. I'm lovin' the look of all that green bro' and wishing you full-sized Jals for poppers by Cinco de Mayo!

Back