• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice Scott! What do you look for before spot watering? Drooping leaves would be too late!
Thanks Adam,

Actually that's what I look for, the older plants will show you something before getting crazy.

millworkman said:
I wish I had "JUST SAND" to grow in.  Would make digging a lot easier than this red clay.  Great looking plot and plants!
Thanks Mills,

I had the red clay in the past on another place, tough to get going but once you get it it tends to stay. The dang sand literally eats the amendments, that's why I added heavy topsoil last fall.
Penny said:
Excellent updates!! :dance:
Thanks Penny,

Really need to get out and have a look, but I have a pic to post.

This was sent to me by a coworker, can anyone ID these?

Sure glad my plants don't have these, they don't look good.
536.jpg

millworkman said:
Those sure look like aphid skeletons.  Ask him if he has seen and small wasp shaped things flying around.  They look like really small wasps and they prey on aphids, laying eggs in their bodies.  Always a great sight to see aphids that look like that.

Go here, about halfway down.

http://6legs2many.wordpress.com/category/insects/hemiptera/

And this is what the good guys look like.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/aphid-parasite-aphidius-colemani/pest-solver-guide-aphids
Thanks for the input!

My initial was Aphids from a pic, but he brought the leaf in and then I wasn't sure.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nasty looking....looks like oak leaves I would see from time to time
I've seen what you're mentioning on Oaks too. Never like that on a pepper.

I check daily when they're young and most susceptible.

Well today I hit the dirt gals with a weak solution of less than a 50% concentration of Hasta Gro (6-12-6) and Seaweed Extract. Trying to get them to kick, they've been hanging for the last 10 days doing pretty much nothing. After tomorrow the forecast gets really nice with mid 50's in the mornings and mid 80's in the afternoon. When giving them their dose a few did show signs of needing water, mainly the ones I transplanted directly from solo cups. They barely had lower leaf droop when I fed them. I bottom watered the solo gals that are still on the table.

This weekend the wind break comes off the frame so I can plant the remainder of the plants that I can squeeze in. I'll move it to the most northern fence and hope for the best. About 20% of the plants look like hell, the winds have put a hurt on them, but I'm sure they'll be fine, talk about leaf drop, or is it leaf blow away?

Hoping they pretty up for weekend updates!

Sounds like a good plan. What do you think of fish emulsion for the dirt two weeks or so after transplant? I think tomato tone covers most of the other nutes you're giving with Hasta grow... Was just thinking about supplementing the nitrogen a bit.

maximumcapsicum said:
Sounds like a good plan. What do you think of fish emulsion for the dirt two weeks or so after transplant? I think tomato tone covers most of the other nutes you're giving with Hasta grow... Was just thinking about supplementing the nitrogen a bit.
I would use it at a less than 50% strength to start, and see what it does. You can always add more of the same strength 4 or 5 days later. I hit mine with a weak dose (about 30%) in a foliar application last week. I'm a big fan of small doses to see how they react. So far I see no results, but to much is a bad thing.

And today's weak dose was at a half gal recommendation, I gave each about a half cup. Just to be safe. I'd rather give them a small dose every watering than over do.

I planted evergreens as a wind break and then cut them down when they are nice size for Christmas trees. You could plant deador cedars as a wind break, they make a nice Christmas tree. They are not very cold tolerant. Just my 2 cents

That's amazing seeing pods on your plants this soon......the Aji Crystal have a ways to go but if you need a quick heat fix....as I normally do.....then take a taste at any time. Although unripe, the flavor can be somewhat surprising..........in a good way.

Sorry to hear about the wind gusts. We get a good deal of that here, My plants will be  sheltered by  the homes and other permanent structures.  If I would have  made the mistake by planting indoors too soon, I'd end up with leggy plants with wimpy limbs by the time that be outdoors. Those would not hold up with the occasional 50 mph sustained winds that we get.

Those onions are looking great. Nutes and water will keep 'em happy. Just keep it coming.
Looks like you went straight from plant-out to pod production.  :dance:
Keep 'em coming.

Scarecrw said:
I planted evergreens as a wind break and then cut them down when they are nice size for Christmas trees. You could plant deador cedars as a wind break, they make a nice Christmas tree. They are not very cold tolerant. Just my 2 cents
Hi Jeff,

I can't wait for them to grow up, and with the lack of rain just more time I spend watering. In a cooler, rainier climate I would jump right on that for sure!

PIC 1 said:
That's amazing seeing pods on your plants this soon......the Aji Crystal have a ways to go but if you need a quick heat fix....as I normally do.....then take a taste at any time. Although unripe, the flavor can be somewhat surprising..........in a good way.

Sorry to hear about the wind gusts. We get a good deal of that here, My plants will be  sheltered by  the homes and other permanent structures.  If I would have  made the mistake by planting indoors too soon, I'd end up with leggy plants with wimpy limbs by the time that be outdoors. Those would not hold up with the occasional 50 mph sustained winds that we get.
Hi Greg,

The wind seems worse the last few years, today we had some rain, .7", I'll take it! It came with some good wind but most everything handled it well. I can get away with the early starting here due to a usual warm period where I can put them out in January and February. It's a lot of hauling but they need to be right there podding or close to it at plant out. I'm thinking a 6' fence for next season will help the wind issues.

JJJessee said:
Those onions are looking great. Nutes and water will keep 'em happy. Just keep it coming.
Looks like you went straight from plant-out to pod production.  :dance:
Keep 'em coming.
Thanks JJJ,

I know after seeing what you're doing the same will happen for you.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: whoops

A few quick pics, I took the wind break down. Tomorrow I'll move it to the far North fence. Not much going on, a few flowers, and the tomatoes are kicking in, so the peppers will too. Especially with our weather forecast.

542.jpg

Here's a group shot:
541.JPG

And a few random shots of some gals that the wind hasn't damaged.
537.JPG

538.JPG

539.JPG

540.JPG

I'm hoping for some serious pod setting the next 2 to 6 weeks.

Devv said:
Thanks Adam,

Actually that's what I look for, the older plants will show you something before getting crazy.

Thanks Mills,

I had the red clay in the past on another place, tough to get going but once you get it it tends to stay. The dang sand literally eats the amendments, that's why I added heavy topsoil last fall.

Thanks Penny,

Really need to get out and have a look, but I have a pic to post.

This was sent to me by a coworker, can anyone ID these?

Sure glad my plants don't have these, they don't look good.
536.jpg

millworkman said:
Those sure look like aphid skeletons.  Ask him if he has seen and small wasp shaped things flying around.  They look like really small wasps and they prey on aphids, laying eggs in their bodies.  Always a great sight to see aphids that look like that.

Go here, about halfway down.

http://6legs2many.wordpress.com/category/insects/hemiptera/

And this is what the good guys look like.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/aphid-parasite-aphidius-colemani/pest-solver-guide-aphids

Wow, great to know.  I thought they were aphid eggs, but I see they are not.  I've also squished those little wasps thinking they were winged aphids... I really just want to get them outside!

Scott, that group shot is just so pleasing to look at.  I know that half my time spent is usually admiring plants or work that I've done. 

If there is such a thing as garden MVP, I think your at the top!

Mike

Things are looking outstanding Scott! Love the garden area, and looks like the plants are too! Looks like you're missing the little front that we're supposed to get as well. Windy here now. storms tonight and tomorrow with lows in the 40's again for the next 2 nights. 

You are getting some real nice weather over there, my friend! 90 F...OMG...maybe in June for me :-)
Plants are looking nice, as usual. Keep posting those pics, pls :-)

maximumcapsicum said:
Can't wait Scott! Everything is looking good and organized. My beds are gonna look so crowded next to your neat rows!
Thanks Adam!

Your time will come, I was 31 when we bought this place ;)

And crowded? They'll hang! Mine are spaced because of ease of access and Rattle snakes! Found two lurking in there last year.

Spicegeist said:

Wow, great to know.  I thought they were aphid eggs, but I see they are not.  I've also squished those little wasps thinking they were winged aphids... I really just want to get them outside!
Mill's hit it spot on! The next day at work they showed me a video under the microscope they made. You could clearly see the holes where the wasp's burst out of the carcasses, reminded me of the movie Alien! I would post the video but it's 60megs...

capsidadburn said:
Scott, that group shot is just so pleasing to look at.  I know that half my time spent is usually admiring plants or work that I've done. 

If there is such a thing as garden MVP, I think your at the top!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I do the same, just go out there and look, it doesn't make them grow any faster but it's good for the brain ;)

GA Growhead said:
Weather is looking prime for you! Plants are going to shift gear and put out now!
I'm hoping! It's 90° out right now, I hoe'd out the last row and said that's enough. It will be around 60° in the morning so a much better temp to work in. I did notice they're starting to grow again, finally! They've been in the dirt for 2 weeks now. I feel once they start they will really kick in!

Kinda worried about this evening, we're on the tail end (West side) of a severe weather warning. Hoping we don't get anything crazy, they're talking possible 'naders, don't need hail either!

MeatHead1313 said:
Things are looking outstanding Scott! Love the garden area, and looks like the plants are too! Looks like you're missing the little front that we're supposed to get as well. Windy here now. storms tonight and tomorrow with lows in the 40's again for the next 2 nights. 
Thanks Chris!

We're not getting the cold, but a dry line is coming through tonight. The weather station (weatherbug.com) we host at the Middle school shows 12mph out of the Southeast, but here (5 miles as the crow flies) it's blowing out of the West-Northwest, and close to 18mph. I don't have West side wind breaks, so the gals will need to hang.

HabaneroHead said:
You are getting some real nice weather over there, my friend! 90 F...OMG...maybe in June for me :-)
Plants are looking nice, as usual. Keep posting those pics, pls :-)
Thanks Balázs!

Yes, it's 90° in the shade! The heat ran me out of the garden, too hot too soon!

I have been slacking on pics, mainly because the plants went to not so pretty after the winds beat them up. They're starting to grow again so if the winds don't damage them to badly tonight I hope to get nice pics in the morning.

Thanks for reading!

Back